I really don't like Kraft Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blueeyedgirl said:
I've just taken Lies's post and emailed it direct to Al-Quada. They're just gonna sit tight and wait till everyone's keeled over from Kraft Dinner poisoning. Well, if that won't do it straight away the "minced onion" and the "No ifs, and or butter" will add that finishing touch... :barf:

:lmao:

I'll be the first to go. I think I'm having spirals again today, since there's nothing else in the house but frozen pizzas.

I HATE real butter almost as much as I hate milk. Mac 'n cheese is the only situation where I can stand seeing milk go into my food and not gag. Real butter would be over the top. Plus, the margarine is saltier.

Liesje said:

Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20006.jpg

Voila!
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20008.jpg

Yes, I was very bored today :grumpy:

:laugh: Thanks for the education! It doesn't look so bad, it's just the alarmingly bright orange powder that bothers me. :yikes: What on earth would they have to put in it to make it that colour? :uhoh:

Mac & Cheese (the American kind) is one of the perfect cheap foods. Also, it beings back warm fuzzy memories from childhood.

If you have a Noodles & Company near you, do try the Wisconsin Man & Cheese. It is, dare I say, life changing.

Ok, maybe it won't change your life, but it's quite delicious.

JessicaAnn said:
Mac & Cheese (the American kind) is one of the perfect cheap foods. Also, it beings back warm fuzzy memories from childhood.

If you have a Noodles & Company near you, do try the Wisconsin Man & Cheese. It is, dare I say, life changing.

Ok, maybe it won't change your life, but it's quite delicious.

Wisconsin Man and Cheese eh :hmm:

Where can I buy it :hyper:

When my sister and I were kids, Grandma would make us Kraft Macaroni & Cheese when we'd visit...but she would always put pepper in it. We asked her why she did that, and she would get all defensive and say, "It comes that way!" We'd insist that when Mom and Dad make it at home, there's no pepper in it...to which she'd just reply, "It comes that way!" :lol:

Grandma. :heart:

JessicaAnn said:

:yes:

I always throw a couple of boxes in my cart when I go grocery shopping, for the times when I have literally nothing left in my fridge except the stuff with which to make mac 'n' cheese with.

Real mac 'n' cheese, though is just to die for. :drool:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Real mac and cheese is so much easier to make than a lot of people think.

:yes:

However I think I might just be the laziest Mac and Cheese maker ever. I just cook a bunch of macaroni, shred a block of cheese (usually extra sharp cheddar; sometimes also some Gouda or Edam -- last time I used Blarney), then alternate layers of the macaroni and cheese in an oven safe casserole dish, pour in some milk (and maybe some salt and pepper) and toss it in the oven for a while. :)

It's great with broccoli and such. (I cook them separately though)

Mac 'n' cheese - whether Kraft brand or the value versions - has got to be at the top of most American kid's list of Fave Foods. :yes: I know my brother & I could (and still can) seriously hurt a box of the stuff. Especially the 'deluxe' versions that come with actual cheese sauce, not the nuclear orange powder stuff. :drool:

Matter of fact, there's a farm/restaurant about 1.5 hours from where I live that serves the best homemade mac & cheese I've ever tasted. It's worth the drive by itself! :drool: :up:

this thread is hilarious. or is that frightening? i can't tell :lol:
i don't know if it's the battle between the US and canadians, or the lengths you guys all go to to make processed plastic edible :applaud:

that said, my daughter loves some kind of kraft macaroni cheese. i dont know which kind, and had no idea there were different varieties. i don't reall let her eat it anymore. junk food to her is a peanut butter sandwich.

my guilty pleasure is fantastic bowl noodles. :reject: when it's cold (it happens twice per year here) and i am busy and don't have time to cook something for lunch, i boil the kettle, and 3 minutes later lunch is ready.
:salt:

I can't stand it. It smells like dirty, sweaty feet and tastes even worse. I actually find it so repulsive that if my roommate makes it, all the windows need to be open and I'm running around Febreezing the air.

ETA: I revamped my entire diet last year. See the problem is that students think making a box of KD is a meal for them and a roommate. It is not a meal. It's missing pretty much every single food group. It's cheap but you can live cheaper than this, and healthy, believe it or not. Move to lentils or quinoa, it's absolutely delightful and delicious and the only (quasi) grain that is a full protein (contains all essential amino acids).

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:

my guilty pleasure is fantastic bowl noodles. :reject: when it's cold (it happens twice per year here) and i am busy and don't have time to cook something for lunch, i boil the kettle, and 3 minutes later lunch is ready.
:salt:

mmm, I love those too, if you mean Noodle Bowl, not Ramen? (the one that actually comes in a plastic bowl, just add boiling water). However, the amount of MSG in these is probably enough for organ failure. :crack:

anitram, do you know of any recipes for those things that also involve cheese? My roommates were into different ethnic foods and were always making bean dishes or things with steamed rice (real rice, not the instant kind), but it never included any cheese.

To be honest, I don't but I also have lactose problems and am generally careful about cheese consumption.

I think quinoa would be kind of disgusting with cheese only because of its consistency. I usually make it one of two ways. Either I take some onions, garlic, celery, carrots and sautee them, then add quinoa and cook it in broth (chicken or beef), or I cut up some buttercup squash into very small cubes and sautee just a bit, then cook that with quinoa, just using water. The second one gives you a sweet-tasting meal, not everyone likes that.

Mmm, onions, garlic, and celery sound like a delish combo. I will have to look into this "quinoa" (I honestly have no clue what it is).

Liesje said:

mmm, I love those too, if you mean Noodle Bowl, not Ramen? (the one that actually comes in a plastic bowl, just add boiling water). However, the amount of MSG in these is probably enough for organ failure. :crack:

anitram, do you know of any recipes for those things that also involve cheese? My roommates were into different ethnic foods and were always making bean dishes or things with steamed rice (real rice, not the instant kind), but it never included any cheese.

To be honest (this is turning into culinary confessions, lol), I don't know a great deal about noodles and very rarely eat them. I had those bowl noodles for the first time in about 6 years yesterday. I've got coeliac disease, so can't eat most of them but sometimes I give up caring for a bit. I don't really know what ramen noodles are. The only ones I eat and that is perhaps a few times a year is rice vermicelli, which is (I suppose?) like angel hair pasta. I put that in stir fries to give it more... I don't know, as it's not exactly 'filling', lol. If you go to a big supermarket and prowl around the asian and health food sections, you'll find a lot, and I mean truckloads, of cheap and healthy foods. Most of it seems to be gluten free so it's where I buy most groceries from.

PS, the bowl noodles I get (once every 5 or so years) don't contain MSG. I dont know what they contain instead, and dont want to know as I eat them so infrequently.

But really, if you want to change to more healthy but cheap eating, there are a lot of options. There's so much out there, it's great.
:up:

For me, it's not even so much the cost, but the time involved. I tend to do better trying to eat healthy if I go to the school cafe for lunch and pay for a salad bowl each day (you pay for the size bowl and fill it with anything in the salad bar), rather than buy salad stuff and pre-make lunches and dinners. For example, I hate spinach and will never buy it, but if I go to the salad bar I will force myself to put some leaves in my salad. Also, I really cannot stand cutting and dicing vegetables, it's a chore I've always hated. I'd rather be cleaning a toilet. And the salad bar at school/work always seems to have the fixins I can't find at the grocery store.

I miss living with my college housemates. I used to just pay them to get in on their meals.

GibsonGirl said:

Come on guys, buy a (RED) cellphone for me! I'm a malnourished immigrant.

I just left a box of multigrain bagels, moose meat, and vitamins for you on Signal Hill...let's see if you can find it before you die of starvation :happy:

Angela Harlem said:
this thread is hilarious. or is that frightening? i can't tell :lol:
i don't know if it's the battle between the US and canadians, or the lengths you guys all go to to make processed plastic edible :applaud:

I'll admit, it is pretty frightening. Notice how we Canadians refer to it as Kraft Dinner...not a snack, but a complete meal! I actually read somewhere that we eat more macaroni and cheese per person than anyone else in the world. Maybe it's been a kind of comfort food in the midst of so much bad weather. It's certainly one of the fastest foods to prepare after torturous snow shovelling, and full of instant carbs to refuel for the next storm. And, if you're glowing orange from the cheese, you're pretty easy to spot on the road!

I think I'm reaching here...I love my country, and I'll defend it 'til the very last nutritionally vacuous noodle :(

blueeyedgirl said:

I'm sorry, I thought you said "I think I'm retching here...."

:lol:

That's okay, when Liesje was describing 'Mac N' Cheese' earlier, I read it as 'Crap 'N Cheese' :wink:

I'm actually getting hungry now. :sick:

i got hungry and make chicken soup for lunch. i can't believe the crap i have eaten the last few days!

you know you canucks should be allowed the occasional plastic mac. you're very cool people. you rate up there with the kiwis.
:up:

ps, i confess that i didn't actually know what 'kraft dinner' was until terence and philip. well, i didn't know it when they said it but learned because of them.
"you're a dick"
"no! you're a dick!"
"... i hate you guys, so very, very much"

This is hilarious! :lol:

I love Kraft Dinner, and always have. I don't eat it that often, but I do enjoy it every now and then. I used to eat it plain, but once when I was over at a friend's house as a kid, they put ketchup on top of it. It's so delicious! :drool:

I was going to have Kraft Dinner, but we have no milk. So I started making Top Ramen when I found a $10 and some change. I'm too lazy to get off the couch so I'm ordering a pizza from my computer....

(health nuts, I did consider a salad but the lettuce was somehow liquefied in the bag and my carrot sticks were brown)

God Bless America

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom