I prefer Paul McCartney's solo stuff to John Lennon's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
I was just flipping through the tracks on 'Lennon Legend' this morning, and was thinking how many great album tracks Lennon wrote, only to ruin them with shitty 70s production values. Nothing says Jive Turkey like Whatever Gets You Thru The Night.

Band on the Run remastered for the win, motherfuckers. The production has some 70s synth fun, but the core of the songs is good pop songwriting and that always shines through.

Paul peaked during the Beatles period. So did John, but I still think that when he really shone in his solo years, he surpassed Paul.

Songs like Imagine, Oh My Love, Happy Xmas have that 'eternal' thing about them.

I'd have to agree with you. McCartney's solo stuff rocked. Not as good as Harrison's though. :drool:

McCartney did some great solo work on the 70's/early 80's. :drool: I still find it very listenable. For me, Lennon was more hit and miss.

Lately I've been really digging the song No More Lonely Nights. It was only recently I found out that David Gilmour plays guitar on it. The solo that finishes the song :drool: I found the movie this song is from (Give My Regards to Broad Street) in a bargain bin nearly a year ago, and bought it. I hadn't seen it since it was released in theatres, and it's SO laughably bad...convoluted, nonsensical, like most Beatles movies. But the musical numbers, including Silly Love Songs, So Bad, etc. are great!

VintagePunk said:
Lately I've been really digging the song No More Lonely Nights. It was only recently I found out that David Gilmour plays guitar on it.

OMG! I love that song! Had no idea Gilmour is on it! :ohmy: :drool:

Zootlesque said:

OMG! I love that song! Had no idea Gilmour is on it! :ohmy: :drool:

Yeah, I'd loved it since it came out. I think I was watching the movie credits, or I looked it up online after I got the movie...and once you know, it's SO obvious, classic Gilmour sound! I felt so dumb. :reject:

i loved mccartney's solo stuff when i was a kid. other than band on the run, i haven't listened to it since then.

Does anyone else love Chaos & Creation in the Backyard? There are some wonderful songs on there: Friends to Go, Too Much Rain, Jenny Wren...

U2Man said:
Paul peaked during the Beatles period. So did John, but I still think that when he really shone in his solo years, he surpassed Paul.

Songs like Imagine, Oh My Love, Happy Xmas have that 'eternal' thing about them.

:yes:

theoriginal said:
Does anyone else love Chaos & Creation in the Backyard? There are some wonderful songs on there: Friends to Go, Too Much Rain, Jenny Wren...
Hell yes! Loved the album since it came out. It's very melancholy and I found that to be a great surprise.

Chaos is my favorite rainy day album at the moment. At the Mercy, Riding to Vanity Fair, Too Much Rain, and Jenny Wren are all great. I can listen to the whole thing all the way without skipping anything.
phanan said:
Band On The Run is my second favorite Beatles solo album after All Things Must Pass. It's a thing of beauty.
Jet is so bombastic :drool:
NO ONE can touch Paul when he breaks out that high register for emphasis during a song. It kicks the thing up a few notches - bam.

*rushes to find his mccartney best of cd*

i love chaos too, it requires a few listens, but it's paul's best songwriting in years.

Any fans of Tug of War? I haven't heard the whole thing in years, but I used to LOVE that album.

Tug of War, Take It Away, Wanderlust, Here Today ... um, Ebony and Ivory ... :reject:

Recently rediscovered Follow Me from Chaos. Such a simple, beautiful tune. I Agree that All Things Must Pass is the best solo album by any of them.

Oh my f@#*ing god, you cant even compare McCartneys solo work to Lennons. John Lennon evolved and recorded some classic, deeply felt music. I really feel the best was yet to come for Lennon and far from peaking, I think he was about to get his best stuff recorded before he was shot. God only knows if he had met Bono in the early days. . . .

No More Lonely Nights is the only tune that's close to lennon's stuff
the rest.....

So Sgt. Pepper took you by suprise,
You better thru that mother's eyes,
Those freaks was right when they said you was dead,
The one mistake you made was in your head,
How do you sleep?
Ah how do you sleep at night?
You live with straights who tell you you was king,
Jump when your mamma tell you any thing,
The only thing you did was yesterday,
And since your gone you're just another day,