I now pronounce you....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I now pronounce you... Is it equal?

• Man and Wife

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Husband and Wife

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Eww! I never really thought about that! How odd!

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • I don't care.. Marriage is a long way off for me!

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Anybody ever noticed that a Wife is always a wife once married
and a husband is either a Husband or a Man?

Weird!

What do you think?

Last edited:
Yes, I have noticed and I object!

Like I was pointing out to a friend the other day...a man is always Mr. no matter if he is single, married, divorced, whatever. A woman is "Miss" (something I refuse to go by) or Mrs. traditionally as if her state of marriage is some big important thing that changes her personhood. :mad:

So while I think marriage for me is a long way off, I can be pretty certain that I would choose to have the vows read "husband and wife" as it seems to me to be the best choice to represent partnership and mutual submission.

Husband and wife, it is for me.....but I never really thought about it that much.

There I realize that in every language I know, the man is always called Mr - like sula said alreday. No matter if in French, Spanish, German, Austrian.....what else.......don't know, but I always didn't liked that.... :grumpy:

:lol: Awesome discussion guys!

You know what else stinks? When customers email my company for assistance, they always start the letter by saying,

"Gentlemen.... " blahblahblah

Gentlemen? I mean, is it conceivable that a woman might receive the letter? The use of the word Gentlemen just takes my breath away.

And so in my response, I write "and Ladies too, please!" :lol:

And lo and behold, when they reply, they say, Dear Mr (my last name)! They still assume they're dealing with a MAN!!!! :scream: :scream: :mad: :sad:

Thought for the day :idea:

Did you know if you scramble the word lame you get male?

"Miss" doesn't bother me at all. I have my students call me "miss" I think Ms. sounds wierd, but that's probably because I'm from chicago and not the south where I have noticed that used more frequently. (the pronuciation actually) What I really hate is "Ma'me"
I've never heard obey in the weddings I've been to. I know it used to be a part of the vows but it seems that many couples have chosen to omit it. I haven't really thought about it but I'll probably have "husband and wife"

It also kind of bugs me at weddings when the couple is introduced as "Mr. and Mrs. Guy's Name, Guy's Last Name" The bride has a first name too! :madspit:

in the past, i've heard "man and wife" more, but i think "husband and wife" is better...i mean, it's like saying we are no longer people, rather just someone's wife...that's a bit too far, imho...

of course, i could just be taking it too seriously...when my day comes, i doubt i'll be paying too much attention:)

WildHoneyAlways said:
It also kind of bugs me at weddings when the couple is introduced as "Mr. and Mrs. Guy's Name, Guy's Last Name" The bride has a first name too! :madspit:

Exactly. As if the wife was a mere extension of the man. :tsk: Hi, I'm Mrs. John Doe. errr. okay whatever. Actually, I doubt I'll even change my last name, but that's a different discussion. :silent:

Back
Top Bottom