I never give Steven Spielberg nearly as much credit as he deserves. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:20 AM
I never give Steven Spielberg nearly as much credit as he deserves.

It's true.

I just watched a lengthy TCM interview/retrospective where Steven talks about all his major motion picture experiences and gives a lot of insight into his motivations and background behind everything from Dual to Munich. It's called "Spielberg On Spielberg" if anyone's interested, and it's available free On Demand if you have Comcast Digital Cable.

But watching this helped me realize something. Whenever I get into discussions about great filmmakers, or my favorite films or anything like that, I never really think of, of mention Spielberg outside of him being "The most incredibly famous and popular director of our time."

What I've discovered is that Spielberg's films have just become such an ingrained part of my life throughout the last 18 years, that I really take him for granted. It's like he's always just been there, making movies that serve as the cornerstones for my childhood and popular culture in general.

My father's favorite film of all time is Jaws, and I've subsequently seen that film over 100 times because of it. It simply is a part of me. Jaws is cinema.

When I grew up, E.T. was the fictional character. He was the alien, what aliens should be and always would be as a kid.

Indiana Jones was the ultimate adventurer. He was Christopher Columbus. He was Galileo. He law Lewis and Clark. The Temple of Doom might as well have been a documentary of some bizarre foreign land.

Jurassic Park was the blueprint for escapist thrills and action, that has served as the meter for all grand-scale motion picture adventure since I was 5 years old.

I never knew Peter Pan. I knew Hook.

Close Encounters of The Third Kind was the sci-fi movie of my life, much like The Day The Earth Stood Still was for my mother.

Quite simply, Steven Spielberg is the architect of my dreams as a child, and I've grown in the illumination of his visions. Everything I know and love about motion pictures, I probably owe to this man, and I feel downright ashamed that I fail to recognize it.

Unfortunately, his output during the past 5 years hasn't been quite up to snuff as the masterworks of his past. Hopefully Indy IV, and Interstellar (a film that has me foaming at the mouth) will recapture that sense of awe and wonder that guided me through childhood.

Steven, I sincerely appologize. You may not stimulate my mind like Kubrick. You may not give me the false sense of being a badass motherfucker like Tarantino. And you may not get my blood pumping like Cameron.

But I really cannot deny that you have been, and probably still remain, the greatest living filmmaker I've ever had the pleasure of sharing the realm of fantasy with.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:20 AM
I have complete and utter love for Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

He blows me away.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:47 AM   #4
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:20 AM
The Spielberg on Spielberg doc was amazing, it did leave out a few gems (Catch Me If You Can and Indy and Last Crusade anyone?) but was still extremely good.

He has been and always will be my favorite director of all-time. Most of his work is the reason why I want to be a director in the future. Lance took the words right out of my mouth, including the Interstellar comment.

But for anyone who says his Post-2000 work isn't up to snuff, watch Minority Report, Munich, and Catch Me If You Can again.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Munich was AMAZING.

I enjoyed MInority Report more than I was expecting, considering I don't care much for either Tom Cruise or Colin Farrell.

And Spielberg did the Cruise version of War of the Worlds, too, right? I quite enjoyed that.

And I must give props and much love to The Color Purple ....... and now I must go add that to the list of movies that make me cry.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

His post-Ryan films are all great, don't get me wrong, but I just feel like they lack some of the "magic" many of his previous works have.

Which is why I suspect Indy IV and Interstellar might have a good chance of returning that.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:57 AM   #7
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
His post-Ryan films are all great, don't get me wrong, but I just feel like they lack some of the "magic" many of his previous works have.

Which is why I suspect Indy IV and Interstellar might have a good chance of returning that.
Okay, that I can partly agree on. A.I. and Catch Me If You Can are the two that spring to mind that have semblances of that Spielberg touch. Which is ironic in the case of A.I., since it was about 75% Kubrick.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I forgot to mention Poltergeist in my original post too.

That film is absolutely magical in every way. Possible even my favorite Spielberg film, even though some coked-out douchebag has his name until the director's title instead.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:10 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm not a big fan of A.I. I felt that way after seeing it in the theater, and I recently watched it again to see if I felt the same way.

I did.

Some great things in it, but it's too bloated, and I didn't care for the whole fairy tale theme which tied into the ending with the aliens. But I did think the aliens were cool.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:13 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

According to Steven they aren't aliens. They're a hyper-advanced "version" of the Mecca. The new silicon-based lifeforms that now rule Earth after mankind became extinct.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:15 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

I will always consider Minority Report to be a underrated gem. I love a lot of Spielberg's work, so I'd not put this at the top of the list, but it's a great combo of noir and a vision of the future. I know a lot of people that dislike it, I however really enjoy it.

I also loved AI, despite it being a mess at times. One review said that even watching a Spielberg mistake was better than 99% of the "succesful" films out there, and I have to agree.

Anyway, he's done amazing work and hopefully will continue to do so for many years to come.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:15 AM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Okay. They looked cool, whatever they were.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:31 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:20 AM
We're this far in the thread and no mention of the greatness that is Schindler's List? Favorite film of all time for me.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:50 AM   #14
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Spielberg is an ICON, a genius and a really great guy.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:48 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:20 PM
Speilberg is the type of director where you expect greatness from his film. He is a master of the art.

Its like saying to your dad:

"Hey dad, watch this film''

dad reads the title and does then asks who is the director.
You say ''Speilberg'', and he goes ''put it on quick''