I need your advice on The Who and Led Zeppelin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phanan said:

Misty Mountain Hop has always been a radio staple for classic rock stations everywhere. It's one of the most played Zep songs out there.

In fact, you could say that about all of Led Zeppelin IV with the exception of Four Sticks and When The Levee Breaks.

I guess this proves that Central Florida rock stations completely blow.

They play The Eagles (mainly "Hotel California"), Steve Miller's 3 songs, and fucking George Thorogood constantly.

LemonMelon said:

:yes: Almost as hard as Custard Pie.

Fans of "hard" Zeppelin really oughtta give Presence a chance, it's very underappreciated but it's probably their hardest album start to finish.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
Steve Miller's 3 songs

If I hear that "some people call me the space cowboy..." line coming out of a radio again, I'm going to break the radio in half. :mad:

Last edited:
toscano said:

Fans of "hard" Zeppelin really oughtta give Presence a chance, it's very underappreciated but it's probably their hardest album start to finish.

Definitely a mixed bag, but it's worth it for NFBM and For Your Life. :rockon:

toscano said:

"Achilles Last Stand" really is a chore, isn't it??? That is one long, pounding, driving, galloping, bearing song for the entire damn, what 9 or 10 minutes???

Phew! That song is like a workout!

Am I the only one who finds Achilles Last Stand a little boring? :uhoh: Sure, the drumming is great but otherwise... meh :slant:

LemonMelon said:

Definitely a mixed bag, but it's worth it for NFBM and For Your Life. :rockon:

"don't you wanna, dont you wanna, cocai-cocai-cocaaiiiinnne...."

Royal Orleans and it's homage to JPJ's drunken tranny adventure is great, and Tea for One just closes it's perfectly although it's not quite on a par with SIBLY, kind of need a slow down simmer at the end of this album

Presence is certainly their most difficult album. It may seem strange, but Robert has often commented that it represents the essence of the band more strongly than any of their other albums. To me, that distinction would seem to belong to III or IV, as each contains a variety of styles: blues, folk, hard rock, epic narrative, and even country.

The Who:

Live At Leeds
The Who Sell Out
Who's Next
Quadrophenia
Tommy
Who By Numbers

Led Zeppelin:

Self-titled debut
Led Zep II
III
Led Zep IV
Houses of the Holy
Physical Graffitti

Count me in as a fan of Achilles' Last Stand. Yes, the drumming is superlative, perhaps Bonham's best, but the song is great in its own right. So what if it's long? Personally I find Kashmir a bigger slog to sit through. BTW, fans of Iron Maiden may see a connection between this and their song Alexander the Great, which certainly contains some nods in the drums department. The whole band is on fire on that one. Def my favorite on Presence, and maybe in my Zep top 10.

Also, Presence is a "difficult" album in ways, but it has a hell of a lot more substance than In Through the Outdoor, which is an easier listen but a much less rewarding one. I could live without hearing anything but Fool in the Rain again and not be missing much. Leppelin+Synthesizers=BAD. I still don't get why All My Love is so popular. Awful track. Part of me is glad Bonham died so the band didn't have to carry this shit into the 80's and tarnish their reputation.

Back
Top Bottom