i need to study another language

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edgerulz

Acrobat
i want to start learning another language but don't have a lot of time and can't decide which one. i took some spanish in high school and am leaning now toward french.
here are my choices:
french
greek
spanish
german

what do you all think?

------------------
"you know something? you're fucking beautiful!" -bono, ZOOTV

French would be cool. I studied both French and Spanish in high school, even though I've forgotten most of it now I remember liking both quite a bit.
smile.gif

------------------
Cut out the poetry
Let's hit the main artery
No time for a tourniquet
Let the colour's all run out of me

I'm taking French right now. I like it, although I think I naturally suck at learning new languages.

...if you haven't much time...well don't choose german because is pretty complicated

------------------
don't believe what you hear
don't believe what you see

i fell in love with french, spanish and italian when i was in these countries last year...i think i will learn french in 2002.

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

Well, if time is a factor... I would definately say Spanish. I have not studied it myself, but from what I here, it is one of the easiest languages out there. I plan to conquet it one day.

As for Greek- are you insane? I studied Ancient Greek and if it's anything like that.... Quite hard and not too practical.
German is really quite complicated as someone already said. If you are a 'rules' person, German goes against all the rules. They have all the rules but 80% oft he time there are exceptions to the rules. As a native English speaker, I found it quite difficult. Word order and sentance structure could not be MORE different.

French, eh? Well I am from Canada so I have had French shoved down my throat since I could say hi. It is indeed a lovely language, but not as easy as some believe. Sure there are a lot of similrities between French and English, but this is where you get into trouble. I still plan on mastering French in my lifetime, but right now, and for the last 9 years...

Russian has been my language of choice. Really, really hard language, but I love it. I think it is beautiful.

I guess another way of deciding is think of where you would like to travel, or perhaps even live for ahwile- that should help.
I would like to learn some Gaelic this year. I am a language junky.

I love languages!

If you want to learn one of the easiest languages in the world...go for Indonesian!
biggrin.gif
K, it's not exactly spoken all over, but it really is easy to learn. No verb conjugating for one thing!!

Otherwise, I vote for French. It's very practical if you ever plan to travel Europe, it's a beautiful language, and lots of the words are similar to English (I assume we stole them).
biggrin.gif

If you want a real challenge...try Japanese or Chinese.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

-sula

i think i'll go for french, that's what i was leaning toward anyway. thanks for the input. maybe next year greek.

since i take karate i learn a little japanese here and there. (i can count to 100) and it is tough. but i am going balls to the wall french. thanks.

------------------
"you know something? you're fucking beautiful!" -bono, ZOOTV

Vive La France!!!!

Parler francais, c'est le meillur chose dans le monde!

J'aime le francais...

Apprends-le!

Et puis nous pouvions parler!
wink.gif

I'm partial to French, can you tell? Anyway, it's the most beautiful language in the world and it's also spoken by a lot of people...

Ce qui n'est pas clair, n'est pas francais!
(That which isn't clear, isn't French)

Another plus is that it's one of the most concise languages in the world...English has many words that mean the same thing and can confuse people, French has many less of these (I think there are only something like 200,000 words in the French language as opposed to over 500,000 in the English language.)

Okay, sorry, I think I've made my point!
wink.gif

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

French is the most beautiful language I know. But it takes a little while to get used to the pronounciation!

------------------
Take the money and run

I am supposed to be billingual in French after being in French Immersion from Kindergarden to Grade 12, but it's been so long since I've had an opportunity to speak it, I have forgotten so much! And to think I used to write these long essays in French too! Naya needs to help me brush up on it!

I took French in high school and really enjoyed it. Although I'm not really comfortable speaking it (my pronunciation isn't that good), it's helpful to at least be able to read French. I went to Montreal recently, and being able to understand French was a big help. I'm sure it would also be very useful when traveling to Europe, too.

Back
Top Bottom