I need some input...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do you find more appealing...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Damn.
Good point.
Anyone else agree?

That's exactly why I voted for $10 straight off the bat before I even read the comments. When i saw Martha's comment it was my thoughts exactly. To me, $9.99 can sound like it had to be put on sale because it wasn't selling well... or something like that. I see we're in the minority on the opinion though!
(My niece is 6, I'll buy a copy for her :)

I am only making a little over $3.00 per book, so profit will be minimal, the rest is the cost of printing.
That's not my reason to write though.
My publisher wanted me to charge (standard price) which would be $11.49, which I think is just too much.
My profit keeping it at $11.49 would be greater obviously, but I just think how much would I pay for this book.
Ya know?
I want it to appeal to young girls, but also to the pocket book.
And I rather have 1,000 people buying at $9.99, then 300 buying at $11.49.

That's called elasticity of demand. When I change the price by x percent, by how many percent will demand go down. And you are right, if elasticity is too high you might lose profits as more people decide to spend their money on other things.

For your sales it might be better to charge $9.99. It's not by accident that in stores you always find .99, .95 or such prices, it really makes a difference. Me, personally, prefer $10 as it is more honest and I don't have to bother with the cents. But obviously, too many people are different so you might rather go with $9.99.

I'm inclined to agree also. 9.95, 9.99, and 10 are all basically $10. Personally, I like the $10.00 because I like my numbers to be even or divisible by 5, and I'm just weird like that -- this is why 9.95 also appeals to me, given the choice of the three. Honestly, when I'm shopping, I already know what I'm looking for, and price is one of the last things I look at: I'm not going to choose one book over another because of a difference of 6 cents. The difference has to be significant for price to be a determining factor.

I didn't vote officially cause I don't really want to sway the results. My $0.02 isn't really worth the $0.01-$0.05 we're talking about here.

Jase-

congratualtions of having a book actually published-that's a feat in and of itself.
let us know when we can order one.

thx,

<>
:)

Thank you everyone for the input, opinions and well wishing.
I decided on ..........drumroll please :bonodrum:

$9.99.

Also, it's a little large, but here is my front cover.

cropcoverJM.jpg

And again, thank you all so much.

A couple hundred..I wish!
As long as you don't want illustrations, maybe.

:up:

I prolly won't go with them again, even though the staff was nice, it took way longer than I was promised, due to the ineptness of the 'artist'.

According to The Gruen Transfer the other night, research shows that consumers are more comfortable with .99 or .95 and so on, not because of their thinking they're getting it cheaper as we've always believed, but because that price is more believable - that someone has actually calculated what the product is worth with margins and profits etc. We all know .99 is essentially a dollar. People aren't that stupid, as was always thought, but are more inclined to think that 9.95 is the price reached when you factor in your shipping, printing, publishing and profit margins.

The Gruen Transfer

:drool:

Good luck with sales, n&d. That's a gorgeous cover. :)

A couple hundred..I wish!
As long as you don't want illustrations, maybe.

:up:

I prolly won't go with them again, even though the staff was nice, it took way longer than I was promised, due to the ineptness of the 'artist'.

I just wasn't sure if diamond realized that it's a self-published book.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

I'm always curious about this kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom