I need some guidance from music lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saracene

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
There're a few artists whose music I either never heard or heard too little, but who I'm interested in. However, I'm not sure what album should I start with, so I'd be really thankful for recommendations:

Stone Roses
Liz Phair
Prince
Joy Division
Talking Heads
Sarah McLaughlan
Marvin Gaye

Originally posted by Saracene:
Prince

I need to listen to more Prince..
redface.gif
But Purple Rain is very good, and so is 1999.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Well then, Prince...
As I got over 40 cd?s of one of the most talented musicians of our time, it is difficult to tell you. There are lots and lots of brilliant albums by Prince.
It depends on with which Band or in which phase you want to hear him.
Prince and the Revolution: I?d suggest the double album "Sign ?O? The Times". And you got to listen to the album "Lovesexy". Sure, "Purple Rain" is also fine, but if you hear a live version on a bootleg cd, you will prefer it to the studio version. You can skip "Parade", the only good songs on there are "Kiss" and "Sometimes it snows in April". I?d take a look at an older Prince album too, "Controversy", on which you will find one of the most beautiful love songs of all time, "Do Me Baby".
If you are in the mood for freak stuff and less melodies, check out the "Black album".

But, like I said, my vote of the Revolution Era goes to Sign`off and Lovesexy.

Then, start of 90?s, Prince did a little this and that (to be heard on "We Can Funk", Album "Graffiti Bridge", with George Clinton, another Phunk fav. He decided to form a new band, the "New Power Generation". And here, things get tricky, because every album is a masterpiece. You may try "Diamonds and Pearls" (with "Cream"), or the even tougher "Prince and the N.P.G."
(with "My Name Is Prince"). Then, he got problems with Warner Bros. and therefore decided to use this Symbol. The last album officially by Prince (in the 90?s, now he is back) is "Come", practically a solo joint and very cool. At around the same time he did "The Beautiful Experience", all remixes of "The Most Beautiful Girl". One of the absolutely best albums of all time (and my record collection is big!) is known as "Exodus", officially by the New Power Generation. So full of funky innuendo, and it has a concept again, like all those jamming folks going to another place in space and time. This CD was followed by "Gold", again an unbelievingly brilliant album.
The last fine piece of work is "Emancipation", a triple album with lots of beauty, especially on the second CD.

It is painful to see that, in the last five years, the quality of Prince?s songs has suffered quite a bit. We are sure that one time he might create better work that matches his talents. Forget "Rave un2 the joy fantastic", it is way too clean and polished. Forget the last album (I neither remember the name) where you got nice light jazz instruments, but a dark voice between the tracks that tries to expain some whatever and ruins all the CD.

So, finally, if you want the best albums of Prince (not counting the stuff he braught out through the N.P.G. Music Club, which is too expensive for most of his old Glam Slam Fams), go for:

"Exodus" (by the N.P.G.)
"Gold" (by The Artist Formerly Known As Prince)
"Come" (Prince)
maybe "Prince and the New Power Generation" (already starting to throw Symbols)
"Lovesexy" and "Sign ?off". Sure, there are other albums too, but with those you should have a good rockin? start.

Maybe you will realize he has a special kind of arranging and producing his stuff... he always gave me new ideas. Hope he polishes Paisley Park and forgets the Jehovas Witness? stuff. Funk is stronger.

For Sarah McLachlan - start with Fumbling Towards Ecstacy.

That's actually the only album of hers that I can stomach. I find it the least pretentious of her offerings.

------------------
I can scream as loud as your last one, but I can't claim innocence.

Sarah McLachlan: Definitely start with Fumbling Towards Ecstasy. A minor masterpiece, IMHO, and (hee hee) a wonderful soundtrack to git dowwwwwnnnnn to.

If you like to collect B-sides, track down her performance of "The Water Is Wide" with Jewel and the Indigo Girls.

------------------
Well, the God I believe in isn't short on cash, mister. --Bono

Originally posted by Saracene:

Stone Roses
Liz Phair
Prince
Joy Division
Talking Heads
Sarah McLaughlan
Marvin Gaye

Good variety here!

Ok:

Liz Phair--Exile in Guyville or Whip Smart. Guyville is amazing, but Whip Smart is a bit more "poppy" so it's easier to get into. Liz kicks ass!

Talking Heads--I'm a huge Heads fan! Just love em! Sands in the Vaseline is a 2 disc set of their greatest hits, which really covers a lot of great songs. But for a studio album, I'd have to recommend Speaking in Tongues!!

Marvin Gaye--You've gotta get What's Going On!

Hope I've been able to help!!

smile.gif

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

Back
Top Bottom