I need info about Hawaii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hey, Myself and some friends are planning to go to Hawaii next summer to live and work. We are still unsure about which island is best. We were thinking of either Oahu or Maui. We are all students. I was wondering could anyone who lives in Hawaii or has been to Hawaii tell me which island out of the 2 i mentioned is best for:
1)getting jobs
2)Nightlife (Hightclubs/Bars etc)
3)Transport Services
4)Cost Of Living

I've been to Oahu 3 times, most recently this past summer. My parents go about twice a year and have been to each island except Molokai. They both agree that out of all the islands they like Oahu the best. Oahu is great for transportation and nightlife. I've heard mixed things about Maui though; from it having a great party scene to being overrated. Hawaii has one of the highest costs of living in the country. Real estate prices are pretty high in all of Hawaii. According to this website, monthly rent for a studio apartment in Honolulu is around $700. And for a 3 to 4 room house, your looking at $1200 to $1500 a month. Living cost link

As for which island would be better for finding a job, i haven't a clue. It depends on what type of work you're looking for i guess. The Honolulu Advertiser website could be helpful to you with some questions you may have as to jobs on the different islands as well as the housing market. Hope some of this information is useful and that you and your friends have a great time when you go :wave:Honolulu Advertiser

I have been to Hawaii 4 times, all islands but Molokai (tho we landed there on one island hop but didn't de-plane) I've been to Oahu once and to Maui 4 times. Maui in my opinion is NOT what it used to be, it's expensive and highly over-rated. It is also VERY crowded. I remember when there was only ONE stoplight on the entire island and you could actually make the drive fromKaanapali to Hana via the Hana highway in one day's RT. The nightlife is excellent in Maui for couples, but I think it really is more of a "resort" island, where Oahu is more multi-cultural and lifelike....sure it is crowded and has it's pros and cons, but as reading what was said above, your rent and cost of living would be better on the main island not to mention cheaper and easier to get flights on and off, and island transportation is much better and more readily available. I would think job market would have more to offer in Honolulu than on Maui. LOTS of tourists swarm the Waikiki area, but Oahu is a bustling island with its military, seaport, air traffic, research and industry. I would recommend Oahu especially to young folk such as yourself. You could take a ferry or fly to any of the other islands to visit and check it out. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom