I need Dublin hostel/B&B recommendations please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wenda

New Yorker
My cousin and her friend are going to Ireland in August and asked if I knew anyone who'd been and I thought I'd ask here.

They're college students so money for them IS an object and was hoping for some recommendations on where to stay. They've looked online so they have lots of choices but would like to narrow them down.

They've also considered some bus tours so if anyone has any tips or recommendations I can pass on to them that would be great!

Thanks!

I stayed at Kinlay House when I spent extensive time in Dublin about 7 years ago. It was a pretty decent place.

Like TranceEnding, I had a good chuckle looking at the pictures and remembering my time there. :)

I can't remember the name of the bus tour that I went on when I was there, but I booked it through the Tourism office. It went all over the city, and gave me a pretty good idea of what I wanted to come back and see for longer, at a later date.

Hope they have fun - Dublin is a great city!

I've always booked places in Dublin through hotelclub.net but we rarely stay overnight.

If they'd like a recommendation about a place to visit they should definitely go to St.Michans Church, Church Street for the tour. It's cheap, about €3 for a student and really, really, really good. You can hop off at the stop on the bus tour.

We stayed at Hotel Isaacs which is related to the hostel in October and altho the hotel side was noisy due to foot traffic and construction I'd recommend it for the location. It's right near the bus station and trolley, cab stand which is a good location for moving about. The people at the front desk of the Hotel were very helpful with info on tours. Bring plenty of money though, Dublin is not cheap. Good luck!

Thanks guys! I've been telling her to remember that things are more expensive across the Atlantic so she'll be more money-wise in her travels.

It's been a few years since I went to Ireland, but I would recommend http://www.gogartys.ie/accommodation (Gogartys) hostel and apartments. They are located in Temple Bar. The only downside to staying there is it is kind of noisy because it's well... temple bar :) That will be pretty much true of any place in that area because of the crowds and the street drinking. I would invest in some comfy ear plugs.

Also if you can spend a bit more (but still less than a formal hotel), then I recommend the Townhouse of Dublin (http://www.townhouseofdublin.com). It is not in Temple bar but across the Liffey on the near north side on the street w/ the B and B's and guesthouses. Small accomodations but nice, esp for the price and you get your own bath. Also close to a DART stop (Tara st?) and not far from where the Aircoach from Dublin airport drops you off on O'Connell. And about a 10 minute walk to Temple Bar.

have fun!

Last edited:
Thanks so much!! I'll pass it on to her. I hope she can decide soon so she can stop driving me crazy lol.

I continually stayed at the Ashfield house because it's got some clean rooms, has internet in the lobby, and free 'breakfast' though it's not that great anymore. But it's dead central and not that noisy. It's on D'Olier which is a small street. The only problem is they opened up a club RIGHT next to it so it's a bit noisy now.

As for bus tours in Ireland generally, I went on a boring ol' bus ride up to the CLiffs of Moher, and they left me stranded until 7pm so I had to hitch a ride back by the Bus Eireann's Cliffs of Moher tour, which I was SO sorry I didn't take to and from. It's absolutely wonderful, the guide is SO knowledgeable, and it's really nice. The Wicklow tour that stops on Dawson street in Dublin is supposedly really nice I heard great things. And if they're thinking of going to Blarney castle, the regular bus will do; a tour bus (if it's available) doesn't matter, it's a no hassle small day trip outside Cork.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom