I need 2 songs to compare for a paper!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briarrose

Acrobat
Hi everyone

I have a paper due Friday about comparing 2 poems or songs. I'm trying to think of two songs, (any songs but U2 would be best). I'm having trouble finding 2 songs that are kind of similar so they would be easy to compare. Any ideas? I'd love to use the Playboy Mansion, but I can't find a song that is similar to it.

Thanks!

Michelle

Playboy Mansion - compare it to 'Lightning Seeds - You Showed Me' since the strings are EXACTLY the same! :wink: and that's not even an exagerration. You could say the two are linked by the strings yet differ in the following ways, blah blah blah...! He he...give it a listen right now.

Erm...other suggestions...??

Radiohead - The National Anthem
and
The National Anthem of whatever country you're in.

U2 - Mofo
and
U2 - Tommorow

aren't the two both to do with Bono's mother in ways...?

"You Showed Me" was originally recorded by the Turtles (and its writers get credit for the sample in the Pop liner notes).

Don't know if I'm too late here, but I did a comparision like this when I was in high school many, ahem, years ago.

I picked Bad and Running to Stand Still, as they both have to do with drugs, specifically, heroin, and their effect on relationships, etc.

Dammit, that was SO long ago. :|

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I was going to do Running to Stand Still and Bad, but I decided on The First Time and Until the End of the World. I'll write it this afternoon and post it when it's complete. Thanks again!

Michelle

typhoon said:
"You Showed Me" was originally recorded by the Turtles (and its writers get credit for the sample in the Pop liner notes).

Sweet! Didn't know that, I must check out the original. :)

Naked Funk - Alien Groove Sensation

and

U2 - Do You Feel Loved?

U2 ripped off of the Naked Funk song.

Melon

briarrose said:
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I was going to do Running to Stand Still and Bad, but I decided on The First Time and Until the End of the World. I'll write it this afternoon and post it when it's complete. Thanks again!

Michelle

Going with religion, eh? And maybe its comparisons to sex and love?

I actually decided to do I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For and The First Time. I'm almost finished.

U2 - Running To Stand Still
U2 - Bad

both about the problem of heroin in Dublin but very different songs.

edit: I see that you'd already had this idea, sorry, there was me thinking I was clever!

Here it is:

Many of U2’s songs contain hidden messages. At first, the lyrics appear to have a simple subject matter about love or problems in relationships. Digging a little deeper, one will find that their songs often have a dual meaning. One of their songs in particular, “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,” appears to be about a lover describing his love, when in actuality, this song was written at a time when Bono felt he had found God but wasn’t quite sure if God was really what he wanted. Another, similar song, “The First Time,” looks very much like it was written by a person recounting his various human relationships. What Bono is really communicating, however, is his personal relationship with God. Below the surface, we find that these songs both describe someone who has everything they would ever need right in front of them, yet in the end, turns away. Bono’s lyrics for the songs, “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” and “The First Time,” both contain similar themes of faith and searching.
In different ways, each song’s lyrics convey Bono’s deep faith in God. His song, “The First Time,” illustrates his knowledge of the Trinity, and his understanding of the personal involvement that God has in his life. This shows a faith that few others can boast of. This song introduces the Holy Spirit as his “lover,” Jesus Christ as his “brother,” and God the Father as his “father.” After you translate these words, it can be assumed that the speaker believes in the Trinity. Bono says that the Holy Spirit “…shows me colours when there’s none to see.” This kind of relationship is normally had with someone whom you can physically feel. The Holy Spirit cannot be seen, heard, or felt. Deep faith is required to have this kind of relationship with an unseen being. Bono describes similarly vivid personal relationships with the other two members of the Trinity. In the end, the fact the songwriter admits that “…for the first time I feel love,” also illustrates his faith by detailing his personal relationship with God. In “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,” Bono writes about his faith differently. He goes into detail about the reality and significance of Jesus Christ and his work for sinners. He demonstrates a sense of awe at God’s power. Instead of a personal relationship, he seems to view God as a greater being, a redeemer. Bono says “I have climbed the highest mountain, I have run through the fields, only to be with you.” Because of his faith in and desperation for Christ, he is willing to do anything, to go to any length to be with Him. Bono “believes in the Kingdom Come,” that Christ will come back and reestablish His kingdom. This shows great faith as well as respect and admiration. The song contains the assertion that Christ “…carried the cross of my shame.” This shows that the songwriter really does believe that Christ has died for all of his sins. This great sacrifice, and the power it contains, is what Bono has expressed a need for. Even though it is presented differently in each, these two songs both contain faith as a constantly reoccurring theme. The lyrics of both songs prove that Bono does have a deep faith in God.
Bono’s faith is presented differently in each song but is equally strong in both. Unfortunately, this is not the end of the story for Bono. Though he has found God–a friend as well as a rescuer–he doesn’t feel as fulfilled as he thinks he should be. In “The First Time” and in “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” he outlines his wandering from faith. The theme of searching is used liberally in the lyrics of both songs. In Bono’s lyrics for the song, “The First Time,” he writes ‘I spend my whole time running’ to describe his feelings of wanting to do his own thing. This line could also mean that he is searching for something other than what he has. In this song, God is reported as saying to Bono, “‘I have many mansions, and there are many rooms to see.’” Instead of following God to this wonderful place, Bono admits that he “…left by the back door, and threw away the key.’ This example also shows that the writer is not content with what he has. He has decided to give up heaven to search for something better. In “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,” a similar trend is established. Bono focuses on just what the title suggests: though he has done many things, ‘scaled these city walls,’ ‘kissed honey lips,’ and ‘held the hand of a devil,’ none of these actions have brought satisfaction. He still hasn’t found what he is looking for. Though neither song says what he feels he is missing–perhaps he himself doesn’t even know–Bono still wants more than what he has. It is apparent that what he has within his grasp, he is not yet ready to receive and perhaps does not ever want to accept at all. In both songs, Bono’s heart is heavy with doubt and searching.
Bono’s faith in God is portrayed differently in each song, but the theme of searching is presented similarly in these two songs. The conclusion of the song “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” is entirely without hope or answer, indicating that at that point in his life Bono didn’t seem to know the extent of God’s love and patience. By the time he wrote “The First Time”, about 6 years later, he had felt these things; he concluded the song with an assurance that even when he turns his back on God, God continues to love him. Bono realized that only now, for the first time, he felt love.

Thanks for your suggestions! It really helped me to get my mind moving.

Back
Top Bottom