I met Victor Petrenko and Artur Dimitriev!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
but I was all out of film, so no pics. :sad: But I did get signatures. :D

So anyways, I went to the Champions on Ice thingy tonite and it was a really great show. I had a pretty decent seat...13 rows back, lower level and at the end of a row, so no heads in my view. I took a roll of pics on 800 speed film, but they may or may not turn out. :huh: We shall see.

In any case, it was really fun for me, having been a long-time fan of many of these skaters, to see them live and up-close.

Observations to follow but I wanted to get the post done because my comp keeps crashing. grrr.

My grandmother is a freak about skating. She had me order tickets online for her. As some of you me know i have been breaking her in puter wise. Annnnnnnnyway. She got like ground level seats and we had a good time and stuff. Got the program book and we had some "refreshments" (yes that means what you think it means) and had a good ole time. :yes:

Cool sulawesigirl4. I'm still jealous that I missed the show this time around!

I remember a few years back my friend and I went. After the show we waited for what I think was almost an hour, but we got to see all the skaters leaving the arena and get on the bus and drive away right by us. I never have gotten to meet any of them tho. Hope your pics turn out!

Kurt Browning and Scott Hamilton are my favorite skaters! :drool:

ok, random observations and I'm gonna post and edit since I typed up like a whole page and then had my comp freeze and lost everything. bastard computer!!!

Rudy Galindo...if the man was any gayer...he'd be a woman! And that's not meant as a slam, he's absolutely hilarious. He has great fun at poking at just about every stereotype you've seen. His program started off with him in this white sailor suit, the song being something about the Navy (sounded like Village People but what do I know)....then he strips it off and is wearing this spangly tight arm-baring thing. :lol: Finished off the program with excerpts from Macho Man and YMCA. Very very campy.

Bourne and Kraatz - definitely the best dance pair out there for my money. They were actually interesting to watch. Really entrancing actually, but that probably had a lot to do with their flowing costumes, seamless choreography and music by Sade. can't help but be a little entranced when I hear that song. :huh:

Brasseur and Eisler!!! Wow. These guys are definitely more suited to the pro circuit than they ever were in the amateurs. Crowd pleasers in a big way. He was in drag, she was dressed like a guy. And they still do that amazing holy-shite-he's-holding-her-over-his-head-upside-down-with-one-arm to the omg-she's-going-to-hit-her-face-on-the-ice swinging dismount. awesome!

Victor Petrenko...still a good showman, but I didn't care much for the program. Probably had something to do with the choice of music :p who let the dogs out!? :p and the big fluffy stuffed dog he held the entire time. Oh well. I miss the Twist!!! :scream: Still very fun to see him.

Timothy Goebel - total cutie pie, needs some work on the whole getting the crowd into you thing. But he'll get there. Great jumps.

Surya Bonaly - that one-footed landing back-flip looks cooler every time I see it.

Dimitriev and whats-her-name (I miss Natalya Mishketonuk! :scream: ) solid as expected. nostalgic for me to see some of the same old transitions and bits of choreography from some of my all-time favorite pairs programs. *sniff*

Yvgeny Plushenko - basically did his Olympic long program modified for time and simplified a bit. (no quads that I could see ;)) Amazing jumper, really nice to see SOMEONE do a triple-triple combo out there at an exhibition. lol. But omg, if I had a dime for every time I've heard Carmen used as a figure skating song....gah.

Philippe Candeloro!!! Ok, apparently the organizers of this show are aware that this man is the consumate skater-showman. They gave him more ice-time than anyone, I think. He did this goofy "sheriff" routine to Will Smith's 'wild, wild west" and of course, this being Philippe, there was the requisite strip-down-to-his-bare-chest thing and the jump-into-the-audience-and-kiss-a-girl thing and that backflip and the sitdown spin. This man will never have to worry about money as long as he can still stand on skates. Total crowd pleaser.

Michael Weiss...omg! I never really thought this guy was terribly hot, but something about black leather pants, amazing bare arms and a chest to match under that vest. :drool: that's all I have to say about that.

Last edited:
Elvis Stojko! got a huge amount of noise from the audience...he's obviously very well-liked. He was really really top notch. He gets the crowd involved, his skating is so energetic and fun to watch. Possibly the best program I saw.

Alexei Yagudin - did a easier version of his Olympic short program. Which is actually a really good piece for an exhibition. It's high-energy, shows off his technical abilities, but isn't quite as stuffy as "Carmen" (can you tell I dislike that song?) The footwork sequence...:heart:

Michelle Kwan. Wow. well to start with, she definitely got the biggest, longest and loudest response from the crowd. Without question, everyone's favorite. As soon as she stepped on the ice, the place went nuts. :D And I am not ashamed to admit that I shed a few tears during her "Fields of Gold" program. She's just beautiful to watch. Flawless.

Sarah Hughes. Also a crowd favorite. Not as put-together as Michelle, but she definitely has a presence on ice and is lovely to watch.

After the show ended, I figured I might as well not go straight to my car and try to leave since there were 20,000 odd people also wanting to get out of the huge parking ramp with two exits. :huh: So I went across the street from the Target Center to this Irish bar and had a beer and some food. Fun times...they put on ATYCLB so I had good listening material. :yes:

When I was done and figured it was safe to head to the ramp, I saw that they were still loading the trucks at the arena and there were a few people hanging out. I waffled back and forth...should I go see if I could meet a skater or two or just go home. Well since I was by myself and had no where I had to be, I figured what the hell. so I went over there and what should I see but Artur Dimitriev one of my all-time favorite skaters from the best pairs team ever sitting with his suitcase talking on a cell phone. I didn't want to disturb him, so I just waited a bit away. Then Victor and Yvgeny walk out and I said hi to them. Yvgeny got pulled away to talk to some people so I got Victor's signature quickly as he was sitting next to Artur and then Artur signed my paper for me while he was on the phone. lmao. whatever works, I guess. :huh: So, that was that. Oh and Victor is shorter than me!!! hahaha. Would not have guessed that.

so that was basically my evening. Loads of fun, and I'm glad I went. Probably the last time I'll see any skating live or on TV for eons to come as the next few years are going to be ummm...well a bit all over the place. :D

Last edited:
LMFAO!

i can't believe you met them....i had a rather eventful night that included fireworks of two varieties....:D

lol, Lilly. Oh dear...I am almost afraid to ask. :eek:

we shall have to fill each other in on our respective exciting Friday nights. :D

but for now...bed!!!

*can't wait for my pics...crossing fingers*

I should scan in the signatures. *note to self*

Sula,

Cool!! Thanks for the report. I think I'm going on July 11th in Long Beach to see the show. I'll post a review then.

Thanks again!

p.s. my favorite is Alexei Yagudin :)

unrelated, perhaps????

My first duty station in the US Army I had the pleasure of working directly for an army lieutenant named (i wont include his first name for obvious reasons) **** Petrenko. He was a very precise direct man, very driven in his misson and I learned a lot from this fine officer. He was Ukranian/American , to be PC here.

His cronies all called him "gooch", because in his tour in Korea he supposedly bought a fake Gucci watch or something. Anyway, I bet he is a Colonel by now as he was high-speed (a military term) even though his watches weren't.

Learned a lot from this guy, he was one of the greats I think:up:

wings4.gif
spyplane?

:ohmy: :eeklaugh:

Last edited:
My sister saw the show when it came to town in April. Her and her friends all went. Of course this is the same group of girls that stayed up all night watching the Olympics and ordered the video at 3:30 am. :D :D Sarah Hughes wasn't there when she went though. I think she was spending all her time at the White House at that point.

Oh--My sister said they didn't do any quads because most likely the ice they were skating on wasn't big enough. (My mother tried to make her into a skating star when she was little)
That's really cool that you got to see a few of them and get some autographs!

Yeah, not only is the rink too small for quads, but with the multi-coloured spotlights, it makes it hard for skaters who are used to the bright clear light in amateur skating to properly gauge their jumps. Still a few of the young guys threw off some lovely triples, which was good enough for an exhibition, I guess. :D I mean, watch a pro competition sometime...it's all about the doubles. :huh:

Errr...I took several of Philippe Candeloro. *blush*

:D

Attachments

• philippe1.jpg
    philippe1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 26
typical of him...he never finishes a program without taking off his shirt. :lol: :huh:

crazy Frenchman. ;)

Attachments

• philippe2.jpg
    philippe2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom