I met Victor Petrenko and Artur Dimitriev!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, joy, other figure skating fans! Sula, I can't believe you met Viktor and Artur! You're so lucky......although that's unfortunate about the camera. John Zimmerman is from my home town of Birmingham, Alabama; he is the first person from this state to ever skate in the Olympics. I didn't get to see COI this year but I heard from people who really enjoyed the show.
Cool thread!!:yes:

Wow, cool pix! I haven't seen Elvis skate all year except at the Olympics.....sort of bittersweet. What's he skating his exo routine to?

verte76 said:
Wow, cool pix! I haven't seen Elvis skate all year except at the Olympics.....sort of bittersweet. What's he skating his exo routine to?

I wish I could remember. lol. It was a high-energy piece, whatever it was. :huh: He is a really good performer...the crowd loved him. And in my mind he will always be the one who deserved that gold medal in 1994. :|

Your pics are amazing! I'm a fan of all those especially Phillipe *blush* Thanks for posting them and I'm so glad you had such a good view! Then you met some of them too, too awesome! :)

OMG Sula!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU MET THEM! THAT IS SO COOL!!!! YOU'RE PICS ARE AWESOME!!!! GAH!!!!!

SORRY BUT THIS IS REA- *ahem*- Sorry, but I'm this is really cool! I LOVE skating and I've been dying to go to one of these shows for a looong time. So cool that you got to go and that you had such a great experience. :)

P.S. Philippe Candeloro = :drool:
icon35.gif
:drool:

sulawesigirl4 said:

I wish I could remember. lol. It was a high-energy piece, whatever it was. :huh: He is a really good performer...the crowd loved him. And in my mind he will always be the one who deserved that gold medal in 1994. :|

I agree...

I agree, Elvis should have won the gold in '94. The stupid judges were very conservative, they wanted ballet, so they gave it to Urmanov, even though he screwed up a triple flip. Elvis had more originality and dynamism and got completely ripped off on the second mark. But he got a standing ovation and I remember he said nothing could replace that. He handled it really well. That's something else I really liked about him, his sportsmanship. He was disappointed but not sour. I'm glad he's still skating!

U2Kitten said:
Your pics are amazing! I'm a fan of all those especially Phillipe *blush* Thanks for posting them and I'm so glad you had such a good view! Then you met some of them too, too awesome! :)

Hey, you and me both! I thought his D'Artagnan piece in Nagano was amazing. I really like "Braveheart", too. He's a really good character skater. The guy can perform his heart out and I love his "epic" style routines.

verte76 said:

Hey, you and me both! I thought his D'Artagnan piece in Nagano was amazing. I really like "Braveheart", too. He's a really good character skater. The guy can perform his heart out and I love his "epic" style routines.

Philippe can really tell a story. Remember his Godfather routines? :D And he's adorable to boot. Oh, I forgot to mention that I saw him briefly before the show as he was entering the arena near the back. I didn't realize it was him till I heard some girls screaming from across the street. lol. :drool: He was in street clothes, jeans and tshirt and had his hair down. It was only a quick sighting though and damn me for not grabbing my camera. :huh:

Anyways...where's Sweetest_Thing? I know she likes to talk figure skating. :D

Well, I doubt if that's your last chance to get a shot of Philippe! I think he'll be around for awhile. Yeah, he really can tell a story and it takes a special talent, a dramatic talent, to be able to do that. Triple axels alone won't do that. That's what makes his skating special. And yes, he is adorable. :drool: :drool:

Oooh...this reply is late. My apologies.

Anyway, Sulababe, I can't believe these pics! I LOVE them (the Elvis, the Phillipe, Brasseur and Eisler (which scared me...I forgot they had switched clothes. I thought she was swinging him!), Shae and Vic, Michelle....) *sigh* Looks like SUCH an amazing show!

Elvis always DOEs put on a great show. I think everyone knows how much heart he has and they really appreciate it. He always looks like he's enjoying his skating. I won't even get started on how he was robbed in '94. It'll take too long...grrrr.

Sual - I miss Natalia too! Don't get me wrong, what's-her-face is good as Artur's partner, but for me at leat, Natalia was the original, and I'll always see her in a better light.

I wish I could have seen Shae and Vic...I've never seen them live, I've always wanted to.

And ALEXEI (Yagudin)...what would I have given to see him!! (although I like his long program better than his short).

Glad to hear there were triples thrown in. I don't always appreciate exhibition skating b/c they 'dumb it down' so much. I know artistry is important, but I like technical merit. I'm not saying, "DO the Quad" but at least TRY a triple or two (this includes the women).

Phillippe...what can I say? That whole strip-down thing, with the kiss the girl act. He does it all the time. And somehow, it never gets tiring... :) That ankle spin is the coolest...esp now that he does it, and then manages to get up from it, before going back down. WOW!

Okay, my thoughts, over.

I missed Natalia as Artur's partner also. Oksana Kazakova is very good but she has the bad luck of being the "girl who replaced Natalia". Artur did his first two Olympics with Natalia; I thought they got ripped off in '94--I thought they should have won the gold! That's sort of blasphemous in view of what happened to Katya and Sergei, and nothing against them, I just thought Artur and Natalia had the better program. They were much more expressive and energetic. I thought G&G were a bit flat, even if they were technically perfect.

omg, verte, you are echoing my sentiments exactly. And it may be blasphemy, but I will always contend that G&G did NOT deserve the gold in 94, it was quite clearly Natalia and Artur's. I suppose in the light of everything that happened afterwards...Sergei dying and all, it's nice that they had that moment, but still. :mad:

Artur and Natalia will always be my favorite pair. I've never seen a program to match their long program in Albertville. :drool: Sheer perfection.

Sweetest_Thing, I'm glad you made it to the thread. ;) I knew you'd have some great comments to add. And yes, you need to see Shae and Vic if you get a chance. They were really stunning. (And I'm not really much for ice-dance. lol)

OMG! Someone else who thinks Artur and Natalia should have won in '94! That program was fantastic. I actually like it better than I do their program in Albertville, as amazing as that piece was. G&G were great in '94 but they were mostly technically great. They were a bit flat and I just think the wrong pair got the gold. It wasn't their fault, of course. I've seen Shae and Vic live, too. They are great! I *do* happen to like ice dance. I know alot of people don't. I can see why......it's strange. Maybe I shouldn't say this but I can't stand the judging, I think it's politics.
*Ooh, controversy!* :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

woohoo, i finally got the damn autographs scanned in. Here they are...

first, Artur Dimitriev...

Attachments

• artur-autograph.jpg
    artur-autograph.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
my pleasure. ;)

oh and if you ever meet alabama's famous skating son...send him my way! :heart: :drool:

sulawesigirl4 said:
my pleasure. ;)

oh and if you ever meet alabama's famous skating son...send him my way! :heart: :drool:

Would you believe I had a chance to and blew it? Yep, John Zimmerman's from my home town, my home rink.....I've seen the guy skate here, but he and Kyoko had an autograph party at a local store here and I didn't go.....there were radio reports of traffic snarls and such around the Galleria when they did it.........I wish the idiot planners hadn't put the thing at the Galleria, it has six Intersections From Hell and *two* Interstates around it.
#%&$ !!!!:madspit: :madspit:

I think '94 was a year of skating surprises and controversy. I mean, Oksana Baiul winning in the ladies' division (with all the Nancy hype, and it was SO CLOSE!), Elvis losing (unfairly, just b/c the judges had a fetish for the old-classic-ballet and puffy pants style of URmanov), Gtrischik and Platov in the dance (over Torvill an Dean--the favs), and of course, G&G over Artur and Natalia(who, in my opinion were far above G&G. Don't get me wrong. I love Gordeeva and Grinkov - they were elegant, clean.....but like Urmanov, quite classic, timeless, that sort of thing. Artur and Natalia were more dynamic, more risky)......

thanks for the autographs sula!

*sighs* John ZImmerman...

You guys would have flipped out at the parade! What parade? There was a parade held in John's honor about two miiles away from here. :shocked: :drool: Yes! He was in a car that led the parade down the street. Parking was crazy, so I put the damn car somewhere and started walking around looking for the blasted car. I saw it! They drove past the ice arena, and every skater was in the parking lot, on the sidewalk, egads, all over...... it was madness, but it was fun. Did I get a buzz? Ooooh, yes....crummy view, but hey, a VIEW!
:love: :love: :love: :laugh: :happy:

after the show in Long Beach on July 11, 2002.

Elvis with me ( 2nd from right) and my friends.

He was sooo nice. and skating his intro to Elevation!!

more to come...

Attachments

• elaine_elvis_julie_christa.jpg
    elaine_elvis_julie_christa.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 19
Here's us with Michelle Kwan.

Possible the nicest of them all. I was just blown away by how nice she was to everyone. and SOOO tiny!!

Attachments

• julie_michelle_christa.jpg
    julie_michelle_christa.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 15
and lastly, Philippe Candelloro!

Ah, he was quite the flirt !! ( gee what a surprise).
He was very happy to have his pic taken and he is a total doll but I could not believe how SHORT he was!!

Attachments

• julie_phillipe_elaine_christa.jpg
    julie_phillipe_elaine_christa.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 17
wow, oktobergirl, those are awesome pics!!! :drool: :heart:

When did this happen? Sooo jealous that you got to meet Elvis...and Philippe....and of course Michelle. :D They're some of my favs. :yes:

And lol @ shortness. I think they are all much shorter than they look. I was shocked to see how short Victor was. He always looked pretty tall for a skater on the telly :huh:

Back
Top Bottom