i met my first interferencer today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm this close to starting a thread asking

"which is worse? pleba or the octagon?"

pax said:

That post only proves that you've taken the time to read it.

what's your point?

maybe it's not so much just the octagon bar thread, but rather the ridiculous amount of posts that are giants proving that people would rather clutch onto some sort of clique than go and start something interesting for themselves.

no offense, i'm really not singling out anyone here.

but look at the first page of this place. testje? octagon? describe the person above you?

aaaargh...

maybe i just need to start making a LOT more threads.

my name isn't dave.

and if you weren't talking to me, you should have been.

~important

Well I'm sure you love pleba too Zoomerang.

~if I'm replying to you I will make that clear

Zoomerang96 said:

what's your point?

maybe it's not so much just the octagon bar thread, but rather the ridiculous amount of posts that are giants proving that people would rather clutch onto some sort of clique than go and start something interesting for themselves.

no offense, i'm really not singling out anyone here.

but look at the first page of this place. testje? octagon? describe the person above you?

aaaargh...

maybe i just need to start making a LOT more threads.

I guess what I'd like to know is why it has to be a "clique." Speaking only for the Bar, it actually grew up pretty organically and has contained, with a few changes, largely the same people since it first started up. Testje, I think, is similar. Why can it not simply be a group of people who have come to share some common jokes, interests, etc. and enjoy each other's company? Anyone can join these things at anytime; we make it a point, in the Bar threads, to be welcoming to newcomers.

I guess I just don't see the harm in it. Personally, it bothers me, deathy, that when you have authored quite a few threads yourself that are full of in-jokes and largely have the same people replying to them over and over, you still see fit to call out other people for doing pretty much the same things. There are entire offshoots of Interference, in fact, that have become TRUE cliques--that is, specifically hidden in some cases, or explicitly unwelcoming to certain people in others.

So perhaps you ought not single out a few efforts to have some simple, innocent fun. No one ever said that you couldn't join in. Or that you couldn't simply ignore them.

i'm banned from going into pleba ever since i posted bi-curious literature involving members of the much-celebrated band "u2".

but i still sometimes log out and check that forum out to read the great stories. :shh:

pax said:

I guess what I'd like to know is why it has to be a "clique." Speaking only for the Bar, it actually grew up pretty organically and has contained, with a few changes, largely the same people since it first started up. Testje, I think, is similar. Why can it not simply be a group of people who have come to share some common jokes, interests, etc. and enjoy each other's company? Anyone can join these things at anytime; we make it a point, in the Bar threads, to be welcoming to newcomers.

I guess I just don't see the harm in it. Personally, it bothers me, deathy, that when you have authored quite a few threads yourself that are full of in-jokes and largely have the same people replying to them over and over, you still see fit to call out other people for doing pretty much the same things. There are entire offshoots of Interference, in fact, that have become TRUE cliques--that is, specifically hidden in some cases, or explicitly unwelcoming to certain people in others.

So perhaps you ought not single out a few efforts to have some simple, innocent fun. No one ever said that you couldn't join in. Or that you couldn't simply ignore them.

yes, i realize when i used the word clique it would come right back at me, and that's fair.

that's a poor word, because i'm sure anyone can join those threads.

however, since everything is categorized and boxed to the most extreme, it's amazing to me how few really do anything to distinguish themselves.

post a new thread! say something different from everyone else! contribute in a way that is entertaining!

i demand to be thrilled everytime i come here, is that too much to ask?

01100011011000010110100101110011011001010110111001101101011000010010110000100000011110010110111101110101011100100010000001100101011011100111010001100101011100100111010001100001011010010110111001101101011001010110111001110100001000000110100101110011001000000110110101111001001000000111011101101001011100110110100000101110

(yes, that actually means something. go decode it.)

pax said:

i find it interesting that you're saying this as a mod. i said the same thing, i guess it was about 2 years ago now, when there was a backlash against randoooom for being a clique-y chat thread. i tried to say that no one in there gave a fuck who came in and shot the shit with us, and all it got me was a new AIM screen name and step-by-step instructions on how to set up a chat thread. no, i'm not still bitter or anything ridiculous like that, i just find it interesting that at one point, mods made an attempt to banish chat thread posters, whereas now it's pretty much 100% acceptable. i don't know why it never wasn't, essentially that's what io had been.

as for the subject of this thread, :up: cool. i've never met anyone from here in real life. i almost walked into wankerman (more commonly known as schmeg...the wankerman thing came about in one of those AIM chats that occured between the heydey of randoooom and it becoming what it is now) at the REM show in boston last october, but that's it.

Back
Top Bottom