I LOVE This Creed Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Sorry to anyone who likes them, but...

Creed shows they're a bunch of imitators

by Brett Milano
Friday, February 8, 2002

Creed, at the FleetCenter, Boston, last night.

Is it possible for a band to become massively popular without being any good? You'd have to wonder just a little after witnessing Creed's sold-out show last night.

Not that the Florida quartet can't play; they've got boring technical competence to spare. It's just that you'd have to look hard to find any trace of an original idea; just one riff, lick or lyric that you haven't heard before.(
biggrin.gif
) That might be fine if they were out for cheap thrills, but the show was meant to be an inspirational spectacle in the vein of U2's ``Elevation'' tour. The difference is that U2 had creative staging and great songs; Creed had fireworks and singalongs.

The onstage sound, particularly on the vocals, was studio-perfect enough to raise suspicions that it wasn't 100 percent live. In any case, the musical elements were strictly borrowed: Singer Scott Stapp had all of Eddie Vedder's mannerisms down pat; while guitarist Mark Tremonti lifted equal parts from The Edge(
rolleyes.gif
-he can only dream)
and Jimmy Page. The opening ``Bullets'' paid lip service to Metallica, but from there ponderous ballads took over: ``Who's Got My Back'' had a ponderous intro that was longer than the song itself. The lyrical message boiled down to a set of obvious statements: Believing in yourself is good; religious violence is bad; existential pain is a real drag.

Stapp took his fake-humble act to extremes, lowering his face in a Christ-like pose(
biggrin.gif
) after nearly every song. And when a song got especially whiny (
biggrin.gif
)he'd explain that he was speaking for the audience: Before the latest album's title track ``Weathered,'' Stapp explained that we all feel world-beaten sometimes - particularly the members of Creed after their last big tour. We'll assume he was trying to sound like a man of the people instead of a spoiled rock star.

Excellent!

Too bad those wankers are on the new Rolling Stone--guess I'll have to use the cover for TP.

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

Bwah-ha-ha!!! Thanks, Gina, for the good laugh at Creed's expense!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"A word I've always liked more than happiness is joy. Happiness is a mood that comes and goes, whereas joy is just there." -Bono

The CIRCLE only has one side.

MESH RULES!!!!!
(thanks to Bono's American Wife)

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Here's one from the Cleveland Free Times:

Shortly before Pearl Jam, uh, i mean Creed, came on stage, anticipation at the Gund had reached a delirious level. the crowd screamed and held up lighters, waiting anxiously for the most popular rock band in the world. By the time Creed arrived on the dimly lit stage (cast in a regal purple glow), it was to the sound of rolling thunder and fireworks. Such a bombastic entrance was fitting for Pearl Jam, uh, i mean Creed, which has turned latently christian platitudes and persecution complexes into hard-rock anthems.
As if to suggest the band's built some kind of rock 'n' roll empire, three giant Corinthian pillars flanked the enormous stage and images flashed on a large video monitor behind the stage. The sold-out crowd hung on every word bellowed by Eddie Vedder, uh, i man Scott Stapp, and every guitar chord played by Stone Gossard, uh, i mean-- oh, you know what i mean. By the end of the set, when the group launched into tracks such as "Arms Wide Open" (i.e. "Jeremy") and "What's This Life For?" (i.e. "Even Flow"), the concert had started to drag. While it was intended as a rhetorical question, the refrain "Can you take me higher," sung in unison at the show's conclusion, wasn't so much a question as an expression of egomaniacal conviction.
Equally tiresome was the opening act, Alice In Chains, uh, i mean Tantric, whose shirless singer, Hugo Ferreira, strutted with confidence, even though the band's generic, second-generation grunge just abetted the headliner's flannel flashback.
-jeff niesel

Bwahahahaha! Good review really. It's funny, because I always read Creed reviews to see if they bash them, and I have NEVER read a Creed review where they LIKED them and they didn't talk about how boring and repititive their music is. Good writer.
wink.gif

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

"with arms wide open, I'll show you looove I'll show you everything with arms wide open"

I don't even know how their new song goes but its sounds just like arms wide open so it serves them right trying to tour on an album that's unoriginal. Good, yay, happy days are here again!

Originally posted by Iron Chef MoFo:
I think the best Creed review was by Billie Joe from Green Day. (Referring to Creed) "what's with all these bands trying to sound like Cher these days?"

Yeah billy broke it down with that one!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by PrincessBadgirl (edited 02-10-2002).]

Originally posted by Gina Marie:

Stapp took his fake-humble act to extremes, lowering his face in a Christ-like pose(
biggrin.gif
) after nearly every song. And when a song got especially whiny (
biggrin.gif
)he'd explain that he was speaking for the audience: Before the latest album's title track ``Weathered,'' Stapp explained that we all feel world-beaten sometimes - particularly the members of Creed after their last big tour. We'll assume he was trying to sound like a man of the people instead of a spoiled rock star.

I'm so sick and tired of these rockstars trying to convince us that life is so difficult and terrible because they have to endure these "long, exhausting tours." All the trials and tribulations they face.... Awwwww
frown.gif

That's exactly why I LOVE U2 so much!! They NEVER whine or complain about ANY of their success. Instead, they like to remind us, as often as possible, about how grateful and appreciative they are for their fans "giving us a great life" as Bono frequently says.

The sheep are going down!
biggrin.gif

Stapp's a pap, and Creed is crud.

------------------
I'm only asking, but I think you know.

"This is so bad it's gone way past good and back to bad again." - Enid, Ghost World.

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
``Weathered,'' Stapp explained that we all feel world-beaten sometimes - particularly the members of Creed after their last big tour.

Ah poor Creed. It really must take it out of them to suck that much....

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

There's only room for one and here she comes, here she comes...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom