I love the fact that the Doves are...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkfire

The Fly
...the most frequently discussed band on this forum!! They are an awesome band, have 2 equally brilliant records, and are terrific live.

I don't think Last Broadcast has received its due (certainly not in the USA)...it's far superior to recent efforts from UK breathen Oasis or Starsailor or USA pumped product such as RHCP, DMB, or the Strokes/Hives/Vines/White Stripes. Heck its even better than Bruce's album and I'm a Bruce fan. (I'll stop just short of saying it's better than Coldplay...Rush of Blood is a pretty fine album itself).

In any event glad to see some U2 fans appreciate Manchester's newest great band.

Preach it bruthahs and sistahs!

Theyre a rock band but something of a crossover of styles which is always challenging, and their sound has alot of depth.

A nice bunch of guys making fresh, exciting music.

Last edited:
must.. see them... live.

:heart::heart: them!!!! I'm listening to Lost Souls at this very moment and I just can't get over what a great sound they have. They are amazing.

Here's a question: would it be impossible to get my hands on a copy of the Lost Sides.. or what? I neeeed more b-sides.

Re: must.. see them... live.

mocool12 said:
:heart::heart: them!!!! I'm listening to Lost Souls at this very moment and I just can't get over what a great sound they have. They are amazing.

Here's a question: would it be impossible to get my hands on a copy of the Lost Sides.. or what? I neeeed more b-sides.

A real copy of Lost Sides is almost impossible to find, but it's pretty easy to download all the b-sides. I have a burned copy of Lost Sides because a friend in England has the cd, so if you'd like, I could do a b+p for you. I also have a live version of Spaceface and Doves covering "Gone Til November," which is absolutely brilliant. :) Just PM me and let me know if you'd like to arrange something. I'm all about spreading the Doves love. :D

Re: Re: must.. see them... live.

meegannie said:

A real copy of Lost Sides is almost impossible to find, but it's pretty easy to download all the b-sides. I have a burned copy of Lost Sides because a friend in England has the cd, so if you'd like, I could do a b+p for you. I also have a live version of Spaceface and Doves covering "Gone Til November," which is absolutely brilliant. :) Just PM me and let me know if you'd like to arrange something. I'm all about spreading the Doves love. :D

Gone till november? are you effing kidding me? Spaceface live - where did you find those?

I cannot decide. As this is a testing post I will probably crash while posting but it's worth the agony.

Right now, I'd lean toward Coldplay, not that anyone asked. Doves are fine however. I will go out on a limb and say I consider Coldplay to have the better singer. Chris Martin has a lovely warm timbre to his voice, kind of sad but not mawkish. I shouldn't even like Coldplay very much, but somehow I do.

Doves are the best thing to happen to music in years. I seriously wonder what's wrong with America sometimes - I mean, how can an album as amazing and as commercially accessable as The Last Broadcast not explode in any country, let alone an English speaking one like the U.S.? There are at least 5 *BIG* tunes on that album, 5 songs that are begging to top the charts. Ah, if only the mainstream had standards like the rest of us! (Dont' I sound like an elitist snob? tee hee)

As for which album is better, I think Coldplay's album is more cohesive, but The Last Broadcast is beautifully layered and scattered into a sonic view. Each track is totally different, but all scream Doves. I guess it's more like ATYCLB in this sense, whereas Coldplay's new album is more like Achtung Baby, where each song comes from the same stew. Oh, I didn't answer which album is better, did I? haha.

Michael Griffiths said:

As for which album is better, I think Coldplay's album is more cohesive, but The Last Broadcast is beautifully layered and scattered into a sonic view. Each track is totally different, but all scream Doves. I guess it's more like ATYCLB in this sense, whereas Coldplay's new album is more like Achtung Baby, where each song comes from the same stew.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Well, I think the Last Broadcast blows ATYCLB out of the water...but then so do a lot of albums IMO. While I like Coldplay's new disc A LOT, I'm not ready to liken it to Achtung in any way shape or form.

I do agree the Doves are more "sonic" and layered. Coldplay is more upfront and comparatively sparse. Both have great sounds and write solid tunes.

I went to see Doves play live this past Monday night in Atlanta and I was blown away. What a great show. I am really happy I bought the tickets. They just rocked and the crowd was awesome. I had no complaints about this show other than I wish I could have made it to the after party instead of having to call it an early night.

Coldplay and Doves are my favorite bands right now. So thanks to all of the U2 fans on this site that have promoted the band because I would have never known about them if it weren?t for y'all. :D

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

Coldplay and Doves are my favorite bands right now. So thanks to all of the U2 fans on this site that have promoted the band because I would have never known about them if it weren?t for y'all. :D

I'll second that. :up:

Back
Top Bottom