I Love The 80's - Strikes Back!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love both the 80s and 70s series -- and the new one is good so far, too. :up:

Mo Rocca came to our town's college recently and did a free talk thing.. I went (I've been a fan of his since I first saw him on the Daily Show a couple years ago) and he was VERY funny and intelligent. Anyway, he talked about how he was pushing for VH1 to do a I Love The 1930s and stuff. :lol: And he also mentioned how VH1 is definitely doing a series for the 90s. :)

an "I love the 90's?" Wow, I didn't think that would happen for quite some time. I mean, we've only been outta that decade for almost 4 years. Personally, I don't find anything particularly WEIRD about that decade, yet. Sure, the 80's was a veeeeeery strange time, but we only realize that now 'cause a good length of time has gone by and we can laugh at it. But the 90's? Umm, "Pokemon" maybe...goodness that stuff annoyed me (still does). But isn't it still somewhat popular? Grr. Well who knows...perhaps the whole POP phenomenon with Britney Spears, N*Sync, and what not. Then again, now we have an overload of rap music, and I can't honestly tell which one is worse. Sure, pop and rap music are not really all that bad...really. It's just that radio stations tend to play the most INTELLELECTUALLY DEVOID songs of the genre.

Bah, this has become more of a social commentary on the state of popular music of the last 5 years, now. You know what's a really good song? Bruce Springsteen's "JUNGLELAND!" I'm listening to it right, now... a 9.5-minute epic of song! Really bloody fantastic, I tells ya'.

So anyway, has anybody watched "True Spin" following the "I Love..." series? They've got some interesting stuff to say on there (most I seem to have already known, some I just don't want to know). Well anyhoo, I was watching a part where they were discussing the true meaning behind The Vapors, "Turning Japanese." Man, I always thought it was about masturbation! As it turns out...it's not!! It's actually just a really strange love song. Huh, how about that?

Okay, I've rambled for FAR too long now and I should go take a shower. So long!!

Side Note: I love this forum :hug:

I also enjoyed True Spin - imagine, a show on VH1 that's actually exclusively about music and focuses on actual LYRICS rather than on how hot so-and-so is and how much bling they have - what a concept! Actually I knew most of the meanings behind the songs they talked about anyway (except the Vapors song - I guess I bought into the whole masturbation theory too), but it was still nice to see.

Okay...few things I have to say about tonight's shows:

1. Reagan was a moron for making that joke.

2. "Inspector Gadget" was one of the coolest cartoons that ever came out (I watched that show ALL the time when I was little...I always pretended to be Penny. I wanted to have a computer book just like hers :D).

3. "JEM"! Man, I forgot all about that show until tonight! Whoa...
Also remember Glowworms quite well, along with the "Take a bite out of crime" commercials. Yep.

elevatedmole said:
I love both the 80s and 70s series -- and the new one is good so far, too. :up:

Mo Rocca came to our town's college recently and did a free talk thing.. I went (I've been a fan of his since I first saw him on the Daily Show a couple years ago) and he was VERY funny and intelligent. Anyway, he talked about how he was pushing for VH1 to do a I Love The 1930s and stuff. :lol: And he also mentioned how VH1 is definitely doing a series for the 90s. :)

Cool! Mo Rocca's hilarious.

A series on the 90s? Wow.

Catman, I actually did sit down and write a list one day of all the things they could talk about in the 90s (yes, 'cause I was that bored)...there's TONS of things they can discuss. Tons. I'll find that list and post it up here sometime, if anyone wants me to.

And I saw that "True Spin" show, too. Yep.

I never heard about the myth of "Losing My Religion" possibly being about John Lennon's murderer. That was an interesting theory.

Angela

haha, I'd LOVE to hear what you came up with for the 90's!!

btw, I didn't know "8675309" was about an actual girl named Jenny (never even crossed my mind it could've been about masturbation...buncha sicko's)! I just sorta figured it was a silly love song of sorts :shrug:

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:
2. "Inspector Gadget" was one of the coolest cartoons that ever came out (I watched that show ALL the time when I was little...I always pretended to be Penny. I wanted to have a computer book just like hers :D).

My mom and I were cracking up over Inspector Gadget last night....just over how everyday, like clockwork, she would hear the theme music while making dinner cos I would be watching it! And I said the same thing last night to her--I wanted one of those computer books that Penny had soooooo badly!

Oh yeah, and mom cracked me up again in regards to my Nickelodeon watching youth. I was also a big fan of Belle and Sebastian...anyhoo, I guess the show used to always make me cry. Now that's drama! :laugh:

Last edited:
haha, I'd LOVE to hear what you came up with for the 90's!

Okay.

-"Titanic"
-The grunge movement
-Boy bands & female pop singers (like the Spice Girls)
-"Friends"
-"Seinfeld"
-"The Bodyguard"
-"Pretty Woman"
-The swing resurgance in the late 90s
-The Latin invasion (i.e., Ricky Martin)
-Possibly the O.J. Simpson thing (don't know if that'd necessarily be lighthearted enough...but they might talk about it)
-Clinton scandal
-"Party Of Five" & "Beverly Hills 90210"
-M.C. Hammer
-Beanie Babies
-Giga Pets
-"American Pie"
-"Macarena"
-"Achy Breaky Heart"/line dancing popularity along with that
-Woodstock 1994 and Woodstock 1999
-Marilyn Manson
-Eminem
-"Home Improvement"
-"Jerry Springer"
-"Beavis & Butt-head"
-"South Park"
-"Scream"
-Pokemon
-Madonna's "Justify My Love" video controversy & "Sex" book
-"Wayne's World"
-"Austin Powers"
-Hanson
-"Batman Forever"
-"Reality Bites"
-"Twister"
-Mariah Carey
-Michael Bolton
-"The Boy Is Mine" ('cause that was such a huge song)
-"Armageddon"
-Alicia Silverstone
-"Ace Ventura"
-"Cable Guy"
-"Ellen"
-"Simpsons"
-Boyz II Men
-"Baby Got Back"
-"Jagged Little Pill"
-"Real World"
-Furbies

Just some of the things that I think they either definitely would or might talk about from that era.

The discussions on some of those topics would be quite amusing, I'm sure. :D.

Angela

Great list, Moonlit Angel! A few other essential things for them to touch on in the I Love the '90s series would be the TV shows Twin Peaks and The X-Files, plus the whole Y2K scare and all the millenium celebrations.

The 1987 show tonight was great. I loooooved Beauty and the Beast and The Princess Bride!

Schmeg said:
Fraggle Rock is the best show ever. They should put some of those out on DVD.
they at least plan to, i know :http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...16823/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/102-9417095-7874527

enter your e-mail address there and you'll be notified when it's available, and it doubles as a petition to get it made! :happy:

i loved fraggle rock too. i had all the stuffed animals for each one when they came out. i stored them all on a fraggle rock director's chair. i loved them so much that when all that stuff came out one year, my mom and grandma got me all the dolls for christmas. :love:

Moonlit_Angel said:
"JEM"! Man, I forgot all about that show until tonight! Whoa...
Also remember Glowworms quite well, along with the "Take a bite out of crime" commercials. Yep.
yeah, me too! glowworms i remember though because i had one as a kid and a globaby. they're in my hopechest. i actually like these shows better than the first ones, because they're focusing on the stuff i remember better: fraggle rock, new coke, jem, pee wee's playhouse, etc.

Moonlit: WHOA!! I totally forgot about some of that stuff! The whole "swing resurgence" and all! And the beanie babies, too! OH! And remember the Tickle-Me Elmo craze around Christmas time? That was nuts. Anyhoo, I really liked your list! Guess they do have enough material for an "I Love the 90's."

:wave:

Bono's shades said:
Great list, Moonlit Angel! A few other essential things for them to touch on in the I Love the '90s series would be the TV shows Twin Peaks and The X-Files, plus the whole Y2K scare and all the millenium celebrations.

Yep. Forgot about those. :yes:. Definitely add that stuff to the list.

Originally posted by Catman
Moonlit: WHOA!! I totally forgot about some of that stuff! The whole "swing resurgence" and all! And the beanie babies, too! OH! And remember the Tickle-Me Elmo craze around Christmas time? That was nuts. Anyhoo, I really liked your list! Guess they do have enough material for an "I Love the 90's."

Yep. And then there were those Cabbage Patch dolls that were supposed to eat food, but wound up eating kids' hair and had to be recalled. :D.

My second-cousin had a Tickle Me Elmo doll. It was so cute, when my family went to visit my aunt and uncle, she came over one day with her Elmo doll, and she'd play with it, and every time it shook, she'd get this big smile on her face and start laughing. :).

Khanada, exactly, I'm remembering more with this group of 80s shows than the first one, too! Weird.

They just talked about "Beetlejuice"-I hadn't seen the movie until a couple of years ago, but I sure loved that cartoon when I was little. I thought Lydia was the coolest, and wanted a ghost friend as well. :p.

And they're gonna talk about "My Two Dads"...I loved that show when I was little, too.

And "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"...geez...I loved the rabbit. He was funny.

Good little trip down childhood memory lane here.

Also, one thing I just remembered from last night's shows they had...I had no idea a guy from "The Love Boat" had been congressman of Iowa! Weird.

My dad said that he actually was a good congressman, in his opinion.

Angela

i am amused by the OP shirts, the mentioned of Jams and Jelly shoes. haha i was such a victim of these items as well owning the Panama Jack shirts. i had Smuf dolls and smurf everything. lmao i love watching shows that i thought were great when i was a kid thinking that i got the meaning behind them to only grow up and find out all of it was above me head. haha.

:heart: iron on t-shirts :heart:

Last edited:
I remember buying an OP shirt, thinking I was soooo cool because I had one. :reject:

Oh, and jelly shoes - I think I had two or three pairs of them at one time. I remember the marks they made on my feet when I wore them without socks.

Gah, I was such an '80s fashion victim! At least I never wore one of those Flashdance sweatshirts.

So I've got these taped but haven't watched any yet - I was flipping through the channels and caught a few minutes of1988 - anyone else here BTBS when they were talking about Young Guns? :up:

^^ yeah! And they also played "Desire" during 'Howard the Duck' during the "love" scene between Lea Thompson and Howie :eek:

forgot which year that was...1985?? Anyhoo, it was goodstuff

...and I like the movie :uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom