I love good old Rock n’ Roll not thump thump hip-hop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Down Under

Refugee
I LOVE good Rock n’ Roll.
Catchy lyrics, the drums a bass with a lead and rhythm guitar… a beautiful sound and I admire a band that makes this beautiful noise.

I love U2, Beatles, Stones, Who etc…..but find this following article shocking.

This should be an honor/achievement for serious music.

Am I getting old ??????

Rapper 50 Cent has become the first artist since The Beatles to have four simultaneous hits in the US Billboard Top 10.
The sex-fuelled lyrics of Candy Shop are a far cry from The Beatles' classic I Want to Hold Your Hand, but the controversial artist looks close to joining them in the popularity stakes.
Candy Shop is this week's number one in the US, while his Disco Inferno is number six.
Collaborations with former protege The Game are at numbers three and nine.
Not since April 1964 has an artist pulled off such a feat, when The Beatles commandeered the top five spots in the Billboard Hot 100 with Can't Buy Me Love, Twist and Shout, She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand and Please Please Me.
50 Cent also holds on to the top spot in the US album charts for the fifth week, after selling more than 2.8 million copies of The Massacre.

Last edited:
I've never really considered popularity to be an indicator of quality.

Occasionally high quality music is also popular, but it doesn't happen often. (I can't honestly say it hasn't happened in this case as I don't really listen to 50 cent's genre -- just not my thing.) But I don't really worry about it.

indra said:
I've never really considered popularity to be an indicator of quality.

:up:

i'm proud of the fact that i have no idea what "candy shop" is. you know, other than a place where you'd buy candy...

IWasBored said:
i'm proud of the fact that i have no idea what "candy shop" is. you know, other than a place where you'd buy candy...

:lol:

I can't categorize what my favorite music genre is, so I'd have to say I like anything that moves me. :) It depends on my mood. I don't really follow the blockbuster charts, so the fact that 50 cent tied with the Beatles for 4 hits in the Billboard top 10 doesn't really faze me (even though I don't care for his type of music).

I do understand what you're saying, Down Under. I grew up with the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin and I love classic rock. It may just be a sign of the times. Pop music nowadays doesn't sound anything like the pop music I listened to when I was a kid. gh...now I feel old, too. lol. I don't know what I'm saying anymore... :lol:

I think the greatest honor for a musician/singer is getting inducted into the hall of fame (of rock, r&b, etc). Billboard charts, imho are just an indicator as to who's making the most money. Doesn't mean they're a great band/singer/whatever. Some of the best music goes underappreciated by the general public/critics.

Eh, U2 rocks anyway! They're in the rock & roll hall of fame now. :D

I can enjoy hip-hop music, but it is so rarely paired with thoughtful lyrics that I tend to shy away from it as a whole. But you must remember that the pop charts are not the place to go if you want deep and thoughtful lyrics.

Btw, I think U2's lyrics and music blend together into a brilliant, soul moving experience. :)

Last edited:
Well the Beatles wrote and recorded all 4 of their songs by themselves as a band. Two of those 50 cent songs are like collaborations, where basically he showed up in a studio, talked a little to a pre-recorded electronic drum beat with some horrific samples, they recorded it and bam, suddenly it's a hit with his name on it, produced by someone else.

"The Beatles commandeered the top five spots in the Billboard Hot 100 with Can't Buy Me Love, Twist and Shout, She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand and Please Please Me."

now that is impressive, top FIVE slots. And they wrote all of those songs (not positive about Twist&Shout) nonetheless.

I wouldnt worry about 50 too much, he'll be big for a little while, and then become a punchline like Puff Daddy.

U2DMfan said:
I wouldnt worry about 50 too much...

Why worry at all?

The best selling album of all time in the US is The Eagles Greatest Hits.

THAT is something to worry about.

:sexywink:

cujo said:

Why worry at all?

The best selling album of all time in the US is The Eagles Greatest Hits.

THAT is something to worry about.

:sexywink:

gee-ross.

yuck.

"crab juice or mountain dew?!?!?!"

"ewwwwwww...i'll take the crab juice."

there doesn't appear to be any steady correlation between those examples, so i'll just leave now.

Down Under said:
I guess at the end of the day good old classic rock n’ roll will never die, (thank God). :rockon:

yuck.

i don't think there's anything worse than "good old classic rock n' roll".

that's some of the worst shit ever produced.

in fact, i despise everything about "good old classic rock n' roll" as all it conjures up in my mind is the thought of the eagles, and the police.

Zoomerang96 said:

yuck.

i don't think there's anything worse than "good old classic rock n' roll".

that's some of the worst shit ever produced.

in fact, i despise everything about "good old classic rock n' roll" as all it conjures up in my mind is the thought of the eagles, and the police.

See the problem you're having with the phrase is that you are completely missing the "good" part of the phrase. You're thinking of it in the "good old boys" way, and we all know the "good old boys" weren't (and never are) actually good. But in some phrases "good" can actually mean good, at least in part. "Good old rock n' roll falls into the second category (which is some good/some bad). Just as not all current music is good, neither is all "classic" rock good. But some of both is good. :)

I think "classic rock" gets a bad rap because there are so many crappy "classic rock" radio stations out there with boring playlists that will stoop to playing junk like REO, Styx and Journey - and so many idiots in the world who refuse to listen to any other kind of music. It doesn't mean it's all bad.

Back
Top Bottom