I like this idea but the NCAA sucks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2ME3

Refugee
NCAA Says No to Computer Company CEO's Title Game Proposal

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Unhappy with college football's split national championship, the head of a computer company thought he could entice Southern California and LSU to play each other later this month by offering $30 million in scholarship money.
The NCAA quickly hit the "delete" button, saying there was no way such a game could be played.

Ted Waitt, chairman and CEO of Gateway Inc., which is based in the San Diego suburb of Poway, offered each school $10 million in scholarships for disadvantaged students if they'd play each other the weekend of Jan. 24-25. The winner would have gotten an additional $10 million in scholarships and $1 million in Gateway products.

"Everybody wants to see it happen," Waitt said. "It'd be fun. But everybody is afraid of the NCAA. We just want to know one good reason why this can't happen."

Waitt made his proposal in letters faxed Thursday to LSU Chancellor Mark Emmert, USC President Steven Sample and NCAA President Myles Brand.

"It's just not as simple or easy as doing that," said Wally Renfro, the senior adviser to Brand. "Decisions about postseason football are made by the membership of the association. Those two institutions would not be able to make that decision in any event.

"Right now, by the bylaws, it couldn't happen."

And the NCAA wouldn't jump even with $30 million in scholarships up for grabs?

"No," Renfro said.

Besides numerous logistical problems, games aren't allowed past last Sunday, which was the date of the Sugar Bowl.

USC was No. 1 in both the AP media poll and USA Today/ESPN coaches' poll at the end of the regular season, but slipped behind No. 2 LSU and No. 3 Oklahoma in the computers and the final BCS standings because of a weaker strength of schedule.

LSU won the BCS national championship by beating Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl while USC won The Associated Press title by beating Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

stupid

i dont see why the presidents are all so against a playoff system too, its just stupid all around

Chizip said:
stupid

i dont see why the presidents are all so against a playoff system too, its just stupid all around

cash.gif

ncaa presidents claim a playoff system is impossiable because it would take up too much time, they don't want to take away from the winter sports season any more than they already do, and they don't want to take the student-athletes... pause for comic relief... away from their studies... second pause.... more than what's already done... :lmao:

anyone with half a clue knows that it's all bullshit... Division I-AA has a playoff system that actually ends BEFORE january 1st. So a playoff system is very feasable. The problem is pure and simple... greed. Just making a bowl game means millions of dollars for each school involved. A playoff system would take this away. You could have each different playoff game be a "bowl" game, but the sponsors of each individual bowl would balk at that, saying their game would "lose importance" or some bull crap. A playoff system could and should be done, but it will not be... too much cash is on the line.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

anyone with half a clue knows that it's all bullshit... Division I-AA has a playoff system that actually ends BEFORE january 1st.
In fact the championship game was played Fri Dec 19, the playoff was 16 teams, each of which ahd played an 11 game regular season. So that eliminates any argument about "shortening" the regular season, or only being able to do a 4 or 8 team playoff. Simple: Everyone starts playing Labor Day weekend, plays an 11 game season, finishing by Thanksgiving weekend. That would even allow a bye week for teams somewhere mid season. Then since I'm sure there would be bitching about it otherwise, play your SEC, Big 12, ACC(starting soon) championship games the first weekend of December. Next weekend, 16 teams play at 8 sites. 3rd weekend in Dec remaining 8 play at 4 sites. Weekend around Christmas. Semifinals, using major bowl sites, then the championship game on or just after New Years's rotating at major bowl site just like now. The minor bowls like GMAC, Alamo, Liberty etc can still go on, taking schools 17 through 60 as participants.
And if the Rose Bowl, Orange, Sugar etc. squawk about needin to play on Jan 1 for tradition, move it back a week, have the semis on Jan1, and Champ game Jan 8.
There thats done, once the NCAA implements the system they can send me a $1,000,000.00 consulting fee.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom