I hung out with Sula yesterday!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
That's right, she came to Ljubljana.

*chronological check, some embarassement on my part LOL!*

Tuesday: my cell phone rings, and i had no idea whose number it was, but i called back anyway - and no one called back. So i thought: nah it's not Sula, she's in Croatia now - she'll probably call tomorrow (because initially i thought she was coming on Wednesday).

Wednesday afternoon: Mum is driving me to town for my English class, and all of a sudden, my cell phone rings. Different number than Tuesday's, so i thought: nah it's not Sula because she may be here, but i'm too busy to meet up with her (so she wouldn't call anyway, plus it was raining and i had a bad day etc...). My Mum asks: "Who's calling you?" I go "I dunno- i don't know the number." So a few minutes later, it rings again - same number. So now it hits me: waiiiiiit a minute, this could be Sula or Marko. (i gave her the number of my cell phone) So i get out of the car inside the building where we had the class and call back.
Sure enough, i was right: Marko picks up, (it was his cell phone) and Sula's with him and it turns out she's still in Croatia after all and will be coming on Thursday, which was great because i had time to meet up after work!

*some more embarasement for me coming up LOL*

So after a few SMSs, we agreed that Sula will call me when she would get on the railway station in Ljubljana. Everything goes well, i even get off work early (it's a sunny day too), Sula calls and voila! i'm on my way to the station.
Erm...i kind of misunderstood where she exactly she was (i thought she'd be outside), so first i checked anything outside.
She wasn't there. So i check the lower part of the station downstairs. She wasn't there either. I check outside again - still no Sula!
By now i was getting nervous - is she inside, did she go for a walk or something...? So i check the central building of the station, all parts of it, all nearby bars, no Sula still. I get to the other side of the building, one of the last possible parts of it - a few people inside.
Um...also i thought she'd look like the pic she posted - the one with the sunglasses and her hair in a ponytail.
Anyway...i'm looking at the people and i notice a girl sitting at the wall. Clearly she's waiting for someone, and i can see she's wondering a bit whether i was the one was waiting for. But, i turn and go to the other side of the room, checking for a girl with pony tail and sunglasses. No such thing, so i turn back and little by little, the face of the sitting girl looks familiar. I walk to her, and to my relief, she goes "Maja?" and i go "Bethany?"

I spent like 20 minutes wandering around the station like an idiot before i found out where she was LOL! :banghead:

Anyway, we spent the remaining hours when it was light enough outside walking around old part of Ljubljana, with me being a tourist guide-wannabe explaining some stuff about the building, statues etc...also we went to the Castle, where some kind of event was going on: candles lit, some live orchestra music playing, lots of cars, people in uniforms - and i (embarassing, i know) as a local had no clue what it was. There was a nice view from the Castle (we could see my high school and a hill close to which our house is), and then it was just dark enough and we took a cab to my house.

First we had dinner (persutto, cheese, grapes, baked chestnuts and pickled mushrooms), and then me, Mum, Dad and Sula talked about all kinds of stuff. Later, my brother and his girlfriend came home, and the four of us talked till 10:30 pm (and i had work the next morning at 7 am!). So then me and my brother drove Sula back to the station where she had her bag and we safely brought her into a bar where she waited for the train.

part 2: impressions after a night's sleep

It was VERY interesting and really cool to meet another Interferencer, especially one from as far away as US. I was afraid she might use a lot of obscure words i wouldn't understand or she'd talk too fast, but nope - i understood everything she said perfectly!
Also it was great to talk to a native speaker - i really thought it would be more awkward for me and all but it went pretty smooth. I also asked her what kind of accents do we Europeans have ( i have a "i never heard that kind of accent before" accent, by the way).
Also, it was great to hear both of Marko's and Sula's voices and to "connect" the picture with the voice. :)

We talked about all kinds of stuff, from Peace core thing to our jobs, to meeting Europe Interferencers (by the way, it sounds like you all did a great job hosting Bethany), to her Europe impressions, some history about Slovenia, accents, similarities between various languages, Slovene letters, Japanese letters, both of our families, a bit about U2, comparison between US and Europe, travelling etc...i probably forgot lots of things. (right Bethany?)

I finally found out what purrrty means. I thought it had something to do with purring! :laugh:
Bethany kindly was interested to hear Slovene expressions for "good morning", "good evening" etc... she tried to pronounce them and she did a very good job. Also she did a bit of Minesotta accent almost at the end of the visit, (hilarious) including the Fargo's famous "yaaaah?"s.
I had to say a few Slovene words for her tape recorder, so in case anyone else hears it lol, basically i said "hello from Slovenia, we're at the Castle right now and have no idea what's going on".

:wave: i must send a "hi" back to Dr Teeth (ummm...it was him that said hi for me, right Bethany? you mentioned so many people i'm not sure anymore LOL)

Anyway, thanks for stopping by here, i hope you liked the one-day visit of Ljubljana and Slovenia and i hope i was up to par with other European Interferencers as a host. Make sure you'll say hi from me to US Interferencers when you get back ok? And of course, say hi to the following European Interferencers you'll meet. Hope you don't mind me posting first - i just figured if you wouldn't do it by now, i will. Ok?
Also, next time you come to Europe, feel free to call me up and we can meet up again. (and maybe more than just one day)

Anyway, so much from me, i'm sure Sula will have things to add herself, so everyone have fun reading this report!

PS: Sula took pics of Ljubljana, and her camera ran out of the film so the last pic is a shot of us at the stairway to the Castle.
(gah i wonder how my face turned out)

And case anyone is wondering: she's just as sweet and nice in real life as she is in the forum.

Last edited:
The BEST thing about this thread is THIS-
Over a yr ago Sula put together a "One" prayer-petition for all ppl to sign to offer condolences to Bono in the recent passing of his father..Bobbie Hewson.:)
U2Girl was against signing it at the time for her own reasons...
Ugly words were exchange by other ppl in the forum towards U2Girl.
Some ppl were down-right mean..

Now the author of the petition and the once maligned person are friends..:)
This is a good thing:up:
This is what U2 music does to ppl of the world, -ie-brings them together..:)

Now if I could get into Sula's good graces..my life would be complete..:sexywink:

-diamond-
:dance:

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this U2girl :) -sounds like you two :D had a great time!

I'm sure you look lovely in the pic

No offense Diamond, and I see the nice point you were trying to make, but that's in the past, maybe we didn't need to bring that up..:shrug: And that's all I'll say, because this is a happy thread :)

:wave: to Sula and U2girl

Gina Marie said:
Thanks for sharing this U2girl :) -sounds like you two :D had a great time!

I'm sure you look lovely in the pic

No offense Diamond, and I see the nice point you were trying to make, but that's in the past, up..:shrug: -

And that's all I'll say, because this is a happy thread :)

:wave: to Sula and U2girl
The point is to bring up the past so we learn from it and live happily in the present, not repeating past mistakes..:)
Yes this is a happy thread..:)

-diamond-

Glad you people like the update on Sula's travels. Yup we had a great time.

What else did we do? Well i told her about the new mp3 on EYKIW forum (Hands that built...), we talked about politics a bit (both Slovene and US), Slovenian sea/mountains, Slovenia getting into NATO and EU, where she was going next and for how long she'll stay in Europe...

Diamond: :) Sula and i always got along.

i havent met bethany
shes boycotting australia to be like u2

actually..i understand, id want to avoid betty at all costs too
:D
great story u2girlie. sounds like u guys had fun!!!!

Bok Maja!

Hi everyone...:wave:

Damn, I'm always late for these threads:mad:

As maja said, beth is realy great, and the thing about meting interferecer in pearson just wipes out everything sad in bad manner on the forum :yes:

For me, the apsurd thing is that now Beth met both Maja and me, and she's from the US. At the same time maja and me never met and we are only 2 hrs away with car :ohmy: ...

Beth, are you in switzerland allready? drop a note when you find the time...

well bye for now, I hope that this thread is not allready dead and that I'm not too late once again ...

U2girl said:

Diamond: :) Sula and i always got along.
Yes, I know that.
I know Sula and you were always ok.
I just didnt like seeing you get picked on by others back then.

As Sula's intention were for the ppl here to be "One" w the petition..and now you 2 girls have met in person, I think is great:up: and demonstrates the message of the -
song
petition
and
message of U2:)

that was my point.
Sorry to go off on a tangent;)

DB9

:D You people do realise all this "pic" demand is making me nervous, don't you? I mean, you know, i hope the pic with me on it will be worth your wait.

Zdravo Marko!
Yes it's weird how we never met (yet) even though we're the closest Interferencers to each other. You never know, though...and i don't think this thread will die anytime soon. Not to worry, i'm sure! :)

Well Bethany said she was going back to Switzerland, she also mentioned she'd be a day late back there. She's probably too busy to post here.

Diamond: ok ok, i see what you meant.

Actually Sula is so sorry she couldn?t post on this thread ?til now. Internet access very difficult at the moment. But she will be back soon! I had her on phone yesteryears, she told me how much she enjoyed the time with Marko and with U2girl and U2girls family and that now she?s feeling bored in Switzerland.

I wanna go to dinner at u2girlies place! If any of you come to my house, all you get is half a cow thrown on the bbq and a case of beer!

:wave:

awww, now i am blushing

heyyyy! I finally got a chance to get to this thread. As hiphop said, when I got back to my little corner of the Alps, I found that our computer was kaput and haven't been able to get to one until today.

annnnnyways, I won't retell the whole story, cuz Maja did a superb job of remembering all the details (probably even better than me). It was a really fun evening and I just loved hanging out with Maja and her family (her parents are soooo cool and even though they kept saying their english was bad, I thought it was really good). The castle was lovely, the city was charming, and the food was really tasty. I got to eat roasted chestnuts (cooked by Maja's father) for the first time and loved them! And try Slovenian wine which was really tasty. And then her brother and his girlfriend came and brought some Albanian take-away food which was also really good. So I was well taken care of. And I had a crash course in Slavic languages and the meaning of the fun symbols with squiggly lines over them. lol.

And while I am at it, I should tell about my time with Marko in Zagreb. We had a really fantastic evening strolling around the gorgeous city, relaxing outside at a cafe drinking coffee, eating dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant, and generally enjoying each other's company. I was so fascinated to hear Marko tell about the history of his country and of the struggle to become independent in the last decade. Made me realize how lucky I was not to have to experience war in my childhood. :(

And now I am back in Switzerland. I had a wonderful time travelling and the best time meeting and getting to know some of our fantastic interferencers. I can't believe how lucky I was to be able to spend time with these great people and to be part of such a special community. I must say, it is a very humbling experience to be welcomed into people's homes and lives and to be able to get a small glimpse of their cultures and countries. I have made some solid friendships, and I miss everyone.

hugs to all. And if we haven't hung out yet...just you wait. ;) I bet my travels take me your way sometime. :D

:heart: sula

p.s. pics will come as soon as i can get them done...may be a while. :huh:

shucks

Hey!!!

Yes hiphop PMed me and said you had problems with internet access. That's ok, i just figured i'd let this thread out here and you can reply whenever you have the time.

Glad you had so much fun. Well, roasted chestnuts are quite common to eat here in the Autumn, and i guess the Albanian take out food is to Slovenes a bit like McDonalds would be to an American - about the same food "rank" and popularity among young people in particular. Prosutto is traditional Slovene food (also found in Italy, but they say ours is the best!). Also picking mushrooms is very popular here.
"fun symbols with squiggly lines"? :lol: yeah, ?-?-?.

But hey, any host should take at least the time to show you the common/traditional food of their country - you'd do the same if i was to come to the States.

It's kinda funny.

This person everyone talks about meeting over in Europe is someone I have had the opportunity to call on a moments notice and hang out with for just about a year now.

I miss Sula here in Minnesota (yet very happy she is out exploring).

We miss you Bethany.

(Edit)
I find it funny...us Minnesotan Interferencers seem like ambassadors or something. We have Lilly cruising to Chicago with Lemon Pie and Ali Rose - and traveling to London, Ont.

Sula is taking on the Eurointerlanders.

Ali Rose is off to Saginaw to hang out with a bunch of Interferencers.

I hjave been to Vegas (at the same time as Ali Rose), D.C. and Toronto, with a return trip to Toronto next week....all to hang with Interferencers.

Maybe it has something to do with this gawd awful location we live in.

Last edited:
zonelistener said:
Maybe it has something to do with this gawd awful location we live in.

:mad: you can't be talkin gawd awful my friend. i live in vermillion! LOL!

we just have travelling blood in us.

:wave: hi bethany

Back
Top Bottom