I hung out with Sula yesterday!!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2002, 12:14 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:02 AM
I hung out with Sula yesterday!!!

That's right, she came to Ljubljana.

*chronological check, some embarassement on my part LOL!*

Tuesday: my cell phone rings, and i had no idea whose number it was, but i called back anyway - and no one called back. So i thought: nah it's not Sula, she's in Croatia now - she'll probably call tomorrow (because initially i thought she was coming on Wednesday).

Wednesday afternoon: Mum is driving me to town for my English class, and all of a sudden, my cell phone rings. Different number than Tuesday's, so i thought: nah it's not Sula because she may be here, but i'm too busy to meet up with her (so she wouldn't call anyway, plus it was raining and i had a bad day etc...). My Mum asks: "Who's calling you?" I go "I dunno- i don't know the number." So a few minutes later, it rings again - same number. So now it hits me: waiiiiiit a minute, this could be Sula or Marko. (i gave her the number of my cell phone) So i get out of the car inside the building where we had the class and call back.
Sure enough, i was right: Marko picks up, (it was his cell phone) and Sula's with him and it turns out she's still in Croatia after all and will be coming on Thursday, which was great because i had time to meet up after work!

*some more embarasement for me coming up LOL*

So after a few SMSs, we agreed that Sula will call me when she would get on the railway station in Ljubljana. Everything goes well, i even get off work early (it's a sunny day too), Sula calls and voila! i'm on my way to the station.
Erm...i kind of misunderstood where she exactly she was (i thought she'd be outside), so first i checked anything outside.
She wasn't there. So i check the lower part of the station downstairs. She wasn't there either. I check outside again - still no Sula!
By now i was getting nervous - is she inside, did she go for a walk or something...? So i check the central building of the station, all parts of it, all nearby bars, no Sula still. I get to the other side of the building, one of the last possible parts of it - a few people inside.
Um...also i thought she'd look like the pic she posted - the one with the sunglasses and her hair in a ponytail.
Anyway...i'm looking at the people and i notice a girl sitting at the wall. Clearly she's waiting for someone, and i can see she's wondering a bit whether i was the one was waiting for. But, i turn and go to the other side of the room, checking for a girl with pony tail and sunglasses. No such thing, so i turn back and little by little, the face of the sitting girl looks familiar. I walk to her, and to my relief, she goes "Maja?" and i go "Bethany?"

I spent like 20 minutes wandering around the station like an idiot before i found out where she was LOL!

Anyway, we spent the remaining hours when it was light enough outside walking around old part of Ljubljana, with me being a tourist guide-wannabe explaining some stuff about the building, statues etc...also we went to the Castle, where some kind of event was going on: candles lit, some live orchestra music playing, lots of cars, people in uniforms - and i (embarassing, i know) as a local had no clue what it was. There was a nice view from the Castle (we could see my high school and a hill close to which our house is), and then it was just dark enough and we took a cab to my house.

First we had dinner (persutto, cheese, grapes, baked chestnuts and pickled mushrooms), and then me, Mum, Dad and Sula talked about all kinds of stuff. Later, my brother and his girlfriend came home, and the four of us talked till 10:30 pm (and i had work the next morning at 7 am!). So then me and my brother drove Sula back to the station where she had her bag and we safely brought her into a bar where she waited for the train.

Old 10-25-2002, 12:20 PM   #2
you are what you is

cool
the Sula Tales continue

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-25-2002, 12:38 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

part 2: impressions after a night's sleep

It was VERY interesting and really cool to meet another Interferencer, especially one from as far away as US. I was afraid she might use a lot of obscure words i wouldn't understand or she'd talk too fast, but nope - i understood everything she said perfectly!
Also it was great to talk to a native speaker - i really thought it would be more awkward for me and all but it went pretty smooth. I also asked her what kind of accents do we Europeans have ( i have a "i never heard that kind of accent before" accent, by the way).
Also, it was great to hear both of Marko's and Sula's voices and to "connect" the picture with the voice.

We talked about all kinds of stuff, from Peace core thing to our jobs, to meeting Europe Interferencers (by the way, it sounds like you all did a great job hosting Bethany), to her Europe impressions, some history about Slovenia, accents, similarities between various languages, Slovene letters, Japanese letters, both of our families, a bit about U2, comparison between US and Europe, travelling etc...i probably forgot lots of things. (right Bethany?)

I finally found out what purrrty means. I thought it had something to do with purring!
Bethany kindly was interested to hear Slovene expressions for "good morning", "good evening" etc... she tried to pronounce them and she did a very good job. Also she did a bit of Minesotta accent almost at the end of the visit, (hilarious) including the Fargo's famous "yaaaah?"s.
I had to say a few Slovene words for her tape recorder, so in case anyone else hears it lol, basically i said "hello from Slovenia, we're at the Castle right now and have no idea what's going on".

i must send a "hi" back to Dr Teeth (ummm...it was him that said hi for me, right Bethany? you mentioned so many people i'm not sure anymore LOL)

Anyway, thanks for stopping by here, i hope you liked the one-day visit of Ljubljana and Slovenia and i hope i was up to par with other European Interferencers as a host. Make sure you'll say hi from me to US Interferencers when you get back ok? And of course, say hi to the following European Interferencers you'll meet. Hope you don't mind me posting first - i just figured if you wouldn't do it by now, i will. Ok?
Also, next time you come to Europe, feel free to call me up and we can meet up again. (and maybe more than just one day)

Anyway, so much from me, i'm sure Sula will have things to add herself, so everyone have fun reading this report!

PS: Sula took pics of Ljubljana, and her camera ran out of the film so the last pic is a shot of us at the stairway to the Castle.
(gah i wonder how my face turned out)

And case anyone is wondering: she's just as sweet and nice in real life as she is in the forum.

Old 10-25-2002, 01:05 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Big Grin

Cool! Sounds like you guys had a great time!
Old 10-25-2002, 01:23 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

cool!

*stomps foot*
i wanna hang out with sula
Old 10-25-2002, 01:30 PM   #6
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 07:02 PM
wink

I have met sula.

Good story Maja! Glad you guys were able to hook up.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:59 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Who hasnt hung w Sula yet?
If u havnt there is something missing in your life..

DB9
Old 10-25-2002, 02:14 PM   #8
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Sula gets around

good to hear, I am glad you two had a good time!!!
Old 10-25-2002, 02:26 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

The BEST thing about this thread is THIS-
Over a yr ago Sula put together a "One" prayer-petition for all ppl to sign to offer condolences to Bono in the recent passing of his father..Bobbie Hewson.
U2Girl was against signing it at the time for her own reasons...
Ugly words were exchange by other ppl in the forum towards U2Girl.
Some ppl were down-right mean..

Now the author of the petition and the once maligned person are friends..
This is a good thing
This is what U2 music does to ppl of the world, -ie-brings them together..

Now if I could get into Sula's good graces..my life would be complete..

-diamond-
Old 10-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Thanks for sharing this U2girl -sounds like you two had a great time!

I'm sure you look lovely in the pic

No offense Diamond, and I see the nice point you were trying to make, but that's in the past, maybe we didn't need to bring that up.. And that's all I'll say, because this is a happy thread

to Sula and U2girl
Old 10-25-2002, 03:14 PM   #11
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Thanks for sharing

pics pics
Old 10-25-2002, 03:33 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:02 PM
cool beans.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:34 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Gina Marie
Thanks for sharing this U2girl -sounds like you two had a great time!

I'm sure you look lovely in the pic

No offense Diamond, and I see the nice point you were trying to make, but that's in the past, up.. -

And that's all I'll say, because this is a happy thread

to Sula and U2girl
The point is to bring up the past so we learn from it and live happily in the present, not repeating past mistakes..
Yes this is a happy thread..

-diamond-
Old 10-25-2002, 06:20 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Glad you people like the update on Sula's travels. Yup we had a great time.

What else did we do? Well i told her about the new mp3 on EYKIW forum (Hands that built...), we talked about politics a bit (both Slovene and US), Slovenian sea/mountains, Slovenia getting into NATO and EU, where she was going next and for how long she'll stay in Europe...

Diamond: Sula and i always got along.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:04 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:02 PM

I had the pleasure of meeting Sula last year in Vegas. Really nice person she is. I'm glad that you got to meet her!