I hope nobody from here lives in New Orleans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
A direct hit of hurricance Katrina could be devestating. Extremely devestating.

As Tom Kirkendall at Houston's Clear Thinkers correctly notes, New Orleans could be facing its Waterloo. Hurricane Katrina is now directly pointed at the city below water.

I've written several stories about New Orleans' precarious position, and I can say that a category-3 or larger storm hitting the city would be a near doomsday-scenario.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency agrees with me. A major hurricane hitting New Orleans is one of the agency's top three "likeliest, most catastrophic disasters facing this country."

If Katrina moves westward even a little from its current track the carnage will be even worse. Should that happen, the storm likely will approach New Orleans a way that its surge would push water into Lake Pontchartrain, which is where the city's dozens of pumps send overflow water to.

If that happens, and the water in the city has nowhere to go, New Orleans will fill up like a fish bowl.

And more...

The Red Cross has rated a hurricane inundating New Orleans as America's deadliest potential natural disaster -- worse than a California earthquake.

"I don't mean to be an alarmist, but the doomsday scenario is going to happen eventually," Stone said. "I'll stake my professional reputation on it."

Hopefully Katrina will veer off to the East instead of the West, or there could be some major problems.

article from 2001...

New Orleans is sinking.
And its main buffer from a hurricane, the protective Mississippi River delta, is quickly eroding away, leaving the historic city perilously close to disaster.
So vulnerable, in fact, that earlier this year the Federal Emergency Management Agency ranked the potential damage to New Orleans as among the three likeliest, most castastrophic disasters facing this country.
The other two? A massive earthquake in San Francisco, and, almost prophetically, a terrorist attack on New York City.
The New Orleans hurricane scenario may be the deadliest of all.
In the face of an approaching storm, scientists say, the city's less-than-adequate evacuation routes would strand 250,000 people or more, and probably kill one of 10 left behind as the city drowned under 20 feet of water. Thousands of refugees could land in Houston.
Economically, the toll would be shattering.
Southern Louisiana produces one-third of the country's seafood, one-fifth of its oil and one-quarter of its natural gas. The city's tourism, lifeblood of the French Quarter, would cease to exist. The Big Easy might never recover.

i believe it was last year that a hurricane was supposed to hit new orleans? anyway, my point is that at the time of the hurricane, a ton of people i knew were in new orleans for a convention. i remember them saying if it did hit the city, then the city would be underwater because of how strong the hurricane was. i just hope history repeats and the hurricane veers off-course enough for it not to hit the city. i don't wish hurricanes on any city though.

yes, hurricane Ivan just missed them last year, hopefully they'll get lucky again

I've got some friends in New Orleans that had to evacuate today - the city is actually a little below sea level so even a not so direct hit will be devastating - as much as I wouldn't wish a natural disaster on anyone I hope it makes landfall in a less populated area

thoughts and prayers to those in the area

great avatar, mullen. he's so happy to be a virgin. :happy:

when is the hurricane pro7ected to hit land anyway? sounds terrible!

I hope it misses them - sounds like the potential for total hell.

And then I feel weird for wishing it to go East because some other sucker's gonna pay for it then too. :|

Was watching the weather channel - the hurricane was just upgraded to a category 4 - winds at 145 mph, and waves up to 13 feets at this time. :ohmy:

I am very worried about New Orleans right now. It is truly a unique place in our country...it has an atmosphere all its own. My prayers go out to the people who live there, and I hope everyone heeds the advice of authorities and gets out of there until the storm passes.

This also could be extremely bad news for gasoline prices, so fill up your cars tomorrow.

waves near the center of the hurricane right now are at 35 ft. :yikes:

and for the first time ever there are mandatory evacuations for New Orleans. No south bound traffic is permitted.

strm12_track_720x486.jpg

and bear, here is the projected path:
map_tropprjpath12_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

from weather.com

[q]Hurricane Katrina is an extremely dangerous Category 4 storm on the Saffir-Simpson scale. Maximum sustained winds have now been greatly increased to 145 mph. All day long Saturday, Katrina was not only gathering strength but also growing very large in size with hurricane-force winds extending out 45 miles and tropical storm-force winds extending out 160 miles from the center. Everyone along the northern Gulf of Mexico needs to take this hurricane very seriously and put action plans into play now. Hurricane Katrina has begun to make a deliberate, gradual turn to the west-northwest. Based on this trend of turning toward the Gulf Coast, hurricane warnings have now been hoisted from Morgan City, La., to the Florida-Alabama border. This includes the city of New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain. A tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch have been issued from the Alabama-Floridas border eastward to Destin, Florida and from west of Morgan City to Intracoastal City, Louisiana.

From this point on through landfall, Hurricane Katrina will continue to turn, first toward the west-northwest overnight, then to the northwest on Sunday, then finally toward the north before making landfall on Monday. Well ahead of the center there will be very high surf crashing ashore in the northern Gulf starting overnight into Sunday Night. You'll need to use extreme caution or just not go in the water at all along all of the northern Gulf beaches from Louisiana to western Florida due to this increased surf. Extreme damaging winds, high life threatening storm surge, and deadly flooding rains with possible tornadoes are expected at landfall. Once Hurricane Katrina makes landfall, it will progress inland Monday into Tuesday with a trail of flooding rains and damaging winds across Mississippi and Alabama and then into Tennessee. Late Tuesday into Wednesday the very heavy rains and gusty winds will progress from the Tennessee Valley to the eastern Ohio Valley.

The Air Force Reserve Reconnaissance Hurricane Hunters and NOAA aircraft have been flying nonstop into Hurricane Katrina on Saturday and they will continue until it makes landfall. They have found a strengthening system all day Saturday with the pressure going from 950 mb down to 935 mb by early Sunday morning with an increasing wind field and tighter eyewall. This means this system is getting stronger and extremely dangerous!

The Florida Keys had a wild Friday with wind gusts of 60 to 85 mph and torrential rains for most of the day. Key West had nearly 10 inches of rain; the fourth wettest day on record and the wettest August day on record. The Dry Tortugas National Park to the west of Key West had sustained winds of 82 mph and a gust to 105 mph in the outer rainbands and squalls.

Hurricane Katrina made landfall south of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., around 6:30 p.m. (EDT) on Thursday with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph. Reports of wind gusts of 60 to 95 mph were widespread across southeast Florida with widespread power outages and tremendous tree damage. Falling trees and other accidents are blamed in the deaths of seven people so far. Radar estimates and actual observations show about 8 to 20 inches of rain fell across southern Florida with a great deal of flooding, especially near the Homestead area.

Elsewhere, there are two areas of low pressure in the central Atlantic. One low pressure is a system that has been monitored for several days now. It is centered about 800 miles east-northeast of the Leeward Islands. The strong area of low pressure has dealt with a harsh environment ever since its existence; namely persistent southwesterly shear and isn't expected to develop.

A second area of low pressure is located several hundred miles southeast of the aforementioned low. Has developed a great deal of thunderstorm activity and could become a Tropical Depression by Sunday. If named it would become Lee the Season's 12 named storm

Tropical Storm Irwin formed off the west coast of Mexico and is now located about well west-southwest of Manzanillo, Mexico and not expected to impact any land and will head west away from the Mexican coastline with only a minor threat to marine interests.

In the northwest Pacific a strong Tropical Storm Talim is forecast to spin up quickly into a powerful Typhoon and head west toward Taiwan and mainland China. [/q]

I believe there's a line from a Tragicially Hip song that goes...

New Orleans is sinking, and I don't want to swim.

It's a wonderful city... I send thoughts of good fortune their way.

wow, this is incredible.

i remember last week hearing how the hurricane wouldn't be too bad (in florida), but then this. unreal.

K, where are you located? I have a good friend in N'awlins, and I can't get a hold of her. I'm assuming she's on her way out of town...

KhanadaRhodes said:
oh great, i'm in the hurricane's projected path too. :huh: we had one earlier this year although luckily by the time it got to us it was a tropical depression.

Please be safe and evacuate if need-be. We'll all keep good thoughts for you and all in this part of the country :hug:

Major US weather disasters tend to make the news here. I'm confused, if you live in a state that gets 3 hurricanes a year, why continue living there? :scratch:

And then the places that get tornadoes all the time, Christ, I'd have emigrated yonks ago! :yikes:

Oh, the places that get blizzards, shit yeah! :down:

(Australia tends to be a comparatively meteorologically benign country)

I was just reading about this earlier and how devestating it could be. I hope that the impact isnt as great as it's feared to be. I was there a year ago in October and it's such a unique city with a feel and history unlike the rest of the US that it's sad to even imagine that some of that could be destroyed if they get a direct hit.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I hope all the poor and homeless are able to get to shelter at the Super Dome.

The winds are now up to 175 mph. :yikes:

I was reading about that earlier and they said that it's been hard for people to find ways to get out of the city etc due to unavailable transportation. I think they said something about maybe running buses to pick people up to get them there. I guess it's been hard for tourists to get out of the city as well...tough to get flights or even to the airport.

Kariann said:

I was reading about that earlier and they said that it's been hard for people to find ways to get out of the city etc due to unavailable transportation. I think they said something about maybe running buses to pick people up to get them there. I guess it's been hard for tourists to get out of the city as well...tough to get flights or even to the airport.

They had the mayor of New Orleans on MSNBC and he said that tourists who can't get out are "evacuating vertically" - going to the top floors of high rise hotels. He said he thinks they should be okay there :huh:, but all the hotels are full right now.

President is going to talk about it in 15 minutes.

Man, that is a well defined eye.

Back
Top Bottom