I hope nobody from here lives in New Orleans - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2005, 08:06 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pearl

Me too.
I've always wanted to see Bourbon Street, the old houses, see all the unique history and culture of New Orleans. But I feel it won't be around much longer. But I'm sure the city would recover and everything would be put back together.
I don't know that if it could truly recover if it's as bad as they say it'll be. And even if they rebuild stuff, all the cool architecture and history will be lost.

I'm having trouble going to sleep, cos I'm worried about the people over in New Orleans.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:10 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
Quote:
Originally posted by Pearl

Me too.
I've always wanted to see Bourbon Street, the old houses, see all the unique history and culture of New Orleans. But I feel it won't be around much longer. But I'm sure the city would recover and everything would be put back together.
I've been thinking about how glad I am that I made it there a year ago. All of those things add so much character to the city and although it would be put back together it just wouldnt seem the same to me after having been there with the old buildings etc. That is what made the city for me...to be walking around places that had been there since the 1700's.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:26 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Wow. 28 foot storm surge.

Very, very scary.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:35 PM   #79
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by oktobergirl
K, where are you located? I have a good friend in N'awlins, and I can't get a hold of her. I'm assuming she's on her way out of town...
i'm in memphis. luckily i'm a good bit north of there so if all goes according to predictions, it won't be a hurricane by the time it hits here. it's supposed to be downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it hits jackson, ms, which is about 2 hours from me. i know people there.

i know a friend from high school originally from baton rouge, but luckily she's in college aaaaaaall the way over at pepperdine so she's out of harm's way. but i know she's got family still in baton rouge so i'm sure she's worried.

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
The natural protective marshes and whatnot in Southern Louisiana have been destroyed to nearly nothing since they started dredging canals in the 1930s. Louisiana even wanted $14 billion or so to restore a lot of these wetlands in recent years, but the money never came. After all, tax cuts for the wealthy were more important.
i know. my mom works for what i think is the largest non-profit organization protecting the wetlands so i know all about this stuff. she deals with the events that happen all over the country and she's worried as to how it will affect everything (not in terms of money, but postponements, cancellations, etc.) in that area. you should've seen it when she came to work on 9/12/01. a lot of events had to be cancelled because they were supposed to be held in armories and suddenly they couldn't do that anymore. they even have the former president bush talking about how important all this shit is. apparently not important enough to convince his son to do anything about it. [/dirty tree hugging liberal]

anyway, to make up for all that, here's a pic of what it looks like inside the eye:
Old 08-28-2005, 10:44 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

i love these jackass weathermen that have to report outside while the hurricane is going on
Old 08-28-2005, 10:52 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

i'm glad they are. i wanna see what's going on!
Old 08-28-2005, 11:07 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Kariann

I've been thinking about how glad I am that I made it there a year ago. All of those things add so much character to the city and although it would be put back together it just wouldnt seem the same to me after having been there with the old buildings etc. That is what made the city for me...to be walking around places that had been there since the 1700's.
I'm with you - New Orleans is probably one of my very favorite cities. Again my thoughts and prayers to everyone in the path - and hopes that the dome holds on the superdome
Old 08-29-2005, 05:31 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Hurricane Katrina slams ashore

Mississippi may get worst part of storm

Monday, August 29, 2005; Posted: 7:36 a.m. EDT (11:36 GMT)

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Hurricane Katrina made landfall Monday in southeastern Louisiana, as it lashed the the Gulf Coast with strong winds and heavy rains, the National Hurricane Center said.

The storm made landfall between Grand Isle, Louisiana, and the mouth of the Mississippi River, National Hurricane Center forecaster Richard Knabb told CNN.

That's about 70 miles south-southeast of New Orleans and 95 miles south-southwest of Biloxi, Mississippi.

The storm had weakened slightly, but forecasters warned that it still was an "extremely dangerous storm" with maximum sustained winds of 140 mph. Hurricane force winds extend 120 miles from the storm's center, the NHC said.

The storm was moving towards the north at 15 mph.

Although New Orleans was braced for a direct hit, experts suggested Monday that that coastal Mississippi may bear the brunt of the storm, although New Orleans would certainly be affected. (Watch video to see the worst case scenario)

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin declared a state of emergency Sunday and ordered a mandatory evacuation of the city. (Watch video of mayor's announcement)

Nagin estimated that nearly 1 million people had fled the city and its surrounding parishes by Sunday night. (Watch time lapse video of the evacuation) About 1.3 million people live in New Orleans and its suburbs. (Watch video to see who's staying and who's leaving)

Between 20,000 and 25,000 others who remained in the city took shelter in the Louisiana Superdome, lining up for what authorities warned would be an unpleasant day and a half at minimum.

City officials told stranded tourists to stay on third-floor levels or higher and away from windows. (See video from New Orleans, a city below sea level)

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said that New Orleans could expect a complete loss of electricity and water services as well as intense flooding.

"We know we're going to have property damage," she told CNN's "Larry King Live." "We know we're going to have high wind damage. We're hoping we're not going to lose a lot of lives."

About 70 percent of New Orleans is below sea level and is protected from the Mississippi River by a series of levees. (Full story)

Forecasters predicted the storm surge could reach 28 feet; the highest levees around New Orleans are 18 feet high.

Hurricane-force winds extend 105 miles from the center of the mammoth storm and tropical storm-force winds extend outward up to 230 miles. It is the most powerful storm to menace the central Gulf Coast in decades.

Hurricane warnings are posted from Morgan City, Louisiana, eastward to the Alabama-Florida state line, including New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain. This means winds of at least 74 mph are expected in the warning area within the next 24 hours.

A tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch are in effect from the Alabama-Florida state line eastward to Destin, Florida, and from west of Morgan City to Intracoastal City, Louisiana. A tropical storm warning is also in effect from Intracoastal City, Louisiana, west to Cameron, Louisiana, and from Destin, Florida, eastward to Indian Pass, Florida.

A tropical storm warning means tropical storm conditions, including winds of at least 39 mph, are expected within 24 hours. A hurricane watch means hurricane conditions are possible, usually within 36 hours.

Isolated tornadoes are also possible Monday across southern portions of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and the Florida Panhandle, forecasters said.

Federal Emergency Management Agency teams and other emergency teams were in place to move in as soon as the storm was over, FEMA Undersecretary Michael Brown said.

National Hurricane Center Director Max Mayfield said: "There's certainly a chance it can weaken a bit before it gets to the coast, but unfortunately this is so large and so powerful that it's a little bit like the difference between being run over by an 18-wheeler or a freight train. Neither prospect is good." (Watch Mayfield's assessment of Katrina)

Three deaths in New Orleans
Three residents of a New Orleans nursing home died Sunday while being evacuated to Baton Rouge, said Don Moreau, chief of operations for the East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner's Office.

The 23 residents were supposed to stay at a church, where one of the bodies was found. The other body was found on a school bus and a third person died at a hospital, Moreau said.

The others were found to be suffering from various forms of dehydration and exhaustion, he said.

Moreau did not know whether authorities would term the deaths storm-related. "These people are very fragile," he said. "When they're loaded up on a school bus and transported out of New Orleans ..."

One person died in similar circumstances during evacuations from Hurricane Ivan, he said.

Katrina is blamed for at least seven deaths in Florida, where it made landfall Thursday as a Category 1 hurricane. As much as 18 inches of rain fell in some areas, flooding streets and homes. (See video of the damage floodwaters left in one family's new house)

Category 5 is the most intense on the Saffir-Simpson scale. Only three Category 5 hurricanes have made landfall in the United States since records were kept. Those were the Labor Day hurricane of 1935, 1969's Hurricane Camille and Hurricane Andrew, which devastated the Miami area in 1992. Andrew remains the costliest U.S. hurricane on record, with $26.5 billion in losses.

Camille came ashore in Mississippi and killed 256 people.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:30 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Normal

This is really awful.

on cnn.com

Report: Roof of Superdome in New Orleans, where thousands evacuated ahead of Hurricane Katrina, is leaking rain. Details soon.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:08 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Looks like due to a last minute weakening and shift to the east New Orleans was spared from the worst case scenario, as the levees have held up keeping most of the water out.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:16 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans, on east side of city, under 5 to 6 feet of water after pumps fail, mayor says. Details soon.

on cnn.com
Old 08-29-2005, 08:33 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

It could have been much, much worse. New Orleans ended up just getting a glancing blow of "only" 100 mph winds, which is better than the 175 mph winds it could have had. Yes there will be lots of damage, but the "doomsday" scenario that many people feared has been averted.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #88
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I was just thinking.....I've always wanted to go, never had the chance........

Same... I hope when all of this is over the area isn't too badly damaged.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Some of the levees did fail, apparently. Damn. That's a beautiful city, but we need to keep in mind that people in Gulfport, Mississippi are taking it full force. CNN is saying that the storm is "dismantling the city".
Old 08-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #90
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Early reports say that except for some standing water, the French Quarter was spared. Hopefully it will be there another 100 years! I'm ridiculously happy to hear that, that is a priceless place in America.

But now I'm going to make more of an effort to hit Mardi Gras. Anyone want to go with me?