I hope nobody from here lives in New Orleans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AvsGirl41 said:
Early reports say that except for some standing water, the French Quarter was spared. :) Hopefully it will be there another 100 years! I'm ridiculously happy to hear that, that is a priceless place in America.

But now I'm going to make more of an effort to hit Mardi Gras. Anyone want to go with me? :sexywink:

I'm so happy to hear that. :up:

Mardi Gras, 2006? I'm there, girlie. :sexywink:

ok a levee broke and things are starting to look worse now

http://www.bayoubuzz.com/articles.aspx?aid=4865

Unless the two block breach in Bucktown is fixed, New Orleans which is already 80% flooded according to Mayor Nagin will destroy the City of New Orleans. In my view, that includes the CBD and French Quarter.

With water increasing one inch every five minutes at Tulane Medical Center which is a mere six blocks from the CBD and the fring of the French Quarter, with the pumping station in New Orleans being inoperative and with so much of New Orleans flooded and bodies floating in the water increasing presumably by the moment due to flooding, one can only imagine that inevitable. New Orleans must fix the breach, fix the pumping, hope for a major sun-baked elimination of the water.

New Orleans might not be able to survive the total inundation of water that is rising so quickly and causing so much damage. With Slidell, St. Bernard and other cities and Parishes so completely devastated it will take more than a Marshall Plan to restore Louisiana to its glory. It will take a miracle for the city of the Saints.

Last edited:
Martial Law has been declared in New Orleans and they're ordering everybody out of the city.

Water is rising and they dont know where its coming from or how to stop it, military is coming in to aid in the evacuation.

WildHoneyAlways said:
Wow. Marital law.
Terrible.

Is the water fast moving or just slowing seeping in? Does anyone know?

I read an inch every 5 minutes

Chizip said:
Martial Law has been declared in New Orleans and they're ordering everybody out of the city.

Water is rising and they dont know where its coming from or how to stop it, military is coming in to aid in the evacuation.

How horrible :sad: What is a good news website? I can't find out jack on msn.

The lack of news is due to the extreme devastation. Unfortunately, this is almost certainly the worst natural disaster in U.S. history.:(

They likely won't have their new loot for long, as the water is still rising and New Orleans may be evacuated for months.

Looting Begins in New Orleans

NEW ORLEANS - With much of the city emptied by Hurricane Katrina, some opportunists took advantage of the situation by looting stores.

At a Walgreen's drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers.

When police finally showed up, a young boy stood in the door screaming, "86! 86!" — the radio code for police — and the crowd scattered.

Denise Bollinger, a tourist from Philadelphia, stood outside and snapped pictures in amazement.

"It's downtown Baghdad," the housewife said. "It's insane. I've wanted to come here for 10 years. I thought this was a sophisticated city. I guess not."

Around the corner on Canal Street, the main thoroughfare in the central business district, people sloshed headlong through hip-deep water as looters ripped open the steel gates on the front of several clothing and jewelry stores.

One man, who had about 10 pairs of jeans draped over his left arm, was asked if he was salvaging things from his store.

"No," the man shouted, "that's EVERYBODY'S store."

Looters filled industrial-sized garbage cans with clothing and jewelry and floated them down the street on bits of plywood and insulation as National Guard lumbered by.

Mike Franklin stood on the trolley tracks and watched the spectacle unfold.

"To be honest with you, people who are oppressed all their lives, man, it's an opportunity to get back at society," he said.

Here's some photos from AP:

4a.jpg

Canal Street:
5a.jpg

Looters:
6a.jpg

i really have no idea how theyll recover from something like this. it almost makes you wonder if its worth spending billions and billions of dollars to rebuild it all. who knows when the next hurricane will come and do the same thing. the city would just be another disaster waiting to happen.

"The biggest known cluster of deaths was at a beachfront apartment of about 100 units in Biloxi. Harrison County emergency operations center spokesman Jim Pollard said about 30 people died there.

Joy Schovest, 55, was in the complex with her boyfriend, Joe Calvin, when the water began rising. They stayed despite a mandatory evacuation order.

Swimming with the cars
“The water got higher and higher,” she said, breaking into tears. “It pushed all the doors open and we swam out. We grabbed a lady and pulled her out the window and then we swam with the current. It was terrifying. You should have seen the cars floating around us. We had to push them away when we were trying to swim.”

actually i cant blame people who are looting food and water. who knows how long they are going to be stuck with no power and no electricity. they need food and water to live, and there are no places where they can go out and buy it. looters are the least of their problems right now.

Yeah people plowing through the supermarket is pretty understandable. With the state everything is in there right now, if the food just stayed in the supermarket, a lot of it probably would eventually be destined for the trash heap anyway, and people do need it.

Looting, say, a jewelry store or someone's home for the heck of it is another story...

Holy crap, a cop confronted a looter, and another looter came up and shot the cop in the back of the head. i have a feeling the military will be coming in and the party will be over for the looters very soon.

Back
Top Bottom