I hope nobody from here lives in New Orleans - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 PM   #196
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:14 PM
today I found an old friend from High school in MSN, well, I felt deeply insulted because his nickname, he's one of these morons that hate the whole country (USA) just because a Government that the world doesn't approve (I don't, at least)... well, his nickname was allusive to this tragedy in a mocking tone... I blocked him... what a jerk

Old 09-02-2005, 06:29 AM   #197
Refugee

Local Time: 01:14 AM
I just can't believe what I'm seeing.

I've gone from being very sad to extremely mad.

The lack of appropriate and timely emergency response is UNACCEPTABLE.

And it's the underlying reasons that make it even more disgusting.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:12 AM   #198
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:14 PM
Piece of an article from CNN dot Com:

one of the officers said that some of the inmates at the Orleans Parish jail may have taken control of the prison. From what we are hearing, the prisoners have weapons. They have not left the jail. They can't get out. But we heard that they have control of weapons inside the jail.

can this situation get any worse?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:28 AM   #199
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:14 PM
NBC, MSNBC and news services
Updated: 10:09 a.m. ET Sept. 2, 2005
NEW ORLEANS - An explosion jolted residents awake early Friday, illuminating the pre-dawn sky with red and orange flames over the city where corpses rotted along sidewalks and thousands remained stranded — crying for food, water and a way to evacuate.

Congress was rushing through a $10.5 billion aid package, the Pentagon promised 1,400 National Guardsmen a day to stop looting, New Orleans' airport had become the largest medical evacuation site in U.S. history, and President Bush was en route to the region Friday.

But city officials were seething with anger about what they called a slow federal response to the catastrophe.

It seems like it does continue to get worse
Old 09-02-2005, 08:56 AM   #200
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Unbelievably, some people working at DirectNIC, an ISP in downtown New Orleans, have managed to keep their internet lines and ISP up the entire time and have been posting up to the minute photos from there...they even have a live webcam going. Their LiveJournal is here and has links to photos and webcam: http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

Still a lot of people wandering around in town...
Old 09-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #201
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kariann
While this may not be as expansive as the Tsunami was and that with the hurricane we did have enough warning to evacuate cities and get people as much out of harms way as possible this is most likely one of the worst natural disasters that we've suffered here in the US so in essence it is our version or at least feels like our version of the Tsunami.
I have to say, this is the sort of comment that makes me resent America.

New Orleans is your tsunami? You don't fucking claim a disaster on such a massive scale. The asian tsunami should have been as relevant to you as this hurricane has been, just as 9/11 was forced down our throats overseas as a world disaster.

And for the record I feel the same way about Australia, in relation to the Bali bombings. That became Australia's disaster. For the love of god; Beslan, Asian Tsunami, the London Underground Bombings, 9/11, the recent stampede.. It is all the same and we should treat it as such, not sit behind computers and be in awe because it happened to America.

My thoughts are with the affected.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #202
ONE
love, blood, life

mayor of N.O. just said that many of the looters and thugs roaming around are drug addicts who have lost their drugs and lost their contacts to get more drugs and are just going crazy.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:44 AM   #203
Refugee

Local Time: 09:14 PM
It's hard to fathom that this is happening in one of America's major cities. I can't watch the news anymore, I just cry. Its hard to be in a different part of the country and unable to physically do anything. Money helps - but they need so much more. By the time the relief supplies get there, so many more will be dead.

Can't help but think of the Yahweh lyrics...

Take this city, a city should be shining on a hill...
Take this city, if it be your will.

What no man can own, no man can take.
Take this heart and make it break.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:11 AM   #204
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero

New Orleans is your tsunami? You don't fucking claim a disaster on such a massive scale. The asian tsunami should have been as relevant to you as this hurricane has been, just as 9/11 was forced down our throats overseas as a world disaster.

And for the record I feel the same way about Australia, in relation to the Bali bombings. That became Australia's disaster. For the love of god; Beslan, Asian Tsunami, the London Underground Bombings, 9/11, the recent stampede.. It is all the same and we should treat it as such, not sit behind computers and be in awe because it happened to America.

Who says we're not? And, so nice of you to refer to 9/11 as being forced down your throats. I didn't see 24/7 coverage of the tsunami or the Bali bombings, etc. that way.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #205
ONE
love, blood, life

THIS HAS TO STOP:

One New Orleans police sergeant compared the situation to Somalia and said officers were outnumbered and outgunned by gangs in trucks.

"It's a war zone, and they're not treating it like one," he said, referring to the federal government.

The officer hitched a ride to Baton Rouge Friday morning, after working 60 hours straight in the flooded city. He has not decided whether he will return.

He broke down in tears when he described the deaths of his fellow officers, saying many had drowned doing their jobs. Other officers have turned in their badges as the situation continues to deteriorate.

In one incident, the sergeant said gunmen fired rifles and AK-47s at the helicopters flying overhead.

He said he saw bodies riddled with bullet holes, and the top of one man's head completely shot off.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #206
Forum Moderator

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean? When the Asian tsunami happened it was on the news here all day, every day for weeks, and the commercial with Bush Sr. & Clinton asking American's to donate was on every night on multiple channels multiple times a day for months. When the bombings happened it was on the news every night for days/weeks also. I guess the only story that hasn't gotten similar coverage has been the stampede (although it has been on the news) I suppose because it coinceded with this disaster.

I never felt any of these other diasters were being shoved down our throats. In fact I felt just as bad as I do now seeing the tsunami/bombings victims suffer.

Why are you so bitter and cynical about everything?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #207
Refugee

Quote:

New Orleans is your tsunami?
Whoa, settle down.

It would seem all that was meant by the comparison is the similar suffering of the survivors post-natural disaster.

If you want to resent America, resent the slow response from the federal and state governments.

After all, the people worth helping were evacuated.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #208
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

p_h, please take your hatred/resentment of America elsewhere.

Frankly, I don't give a damn what you think but thanks for trying to trivalize 9/11 and this natural disater with your comments re: it being forced down your throat.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #209
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BEVERLY56
It's hard to fathom that this is happening in one of America's major cities. I can't watch the news anymore, I just cry. Its hard to be in a different part of the country and unable to physically do anything. Money helps - but they need so much more. By the time the relief supplies get there, so many more will be dead.

Can't help but think of the Yahweh lyrics...

Take this city, a city should be shining on a hill...
Take this city, if it be your will.

What no man can own, no man can take.
Take this heart and make it break.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:17 PM   #210
Blue Crack Addict

As a participant in the nightmare that was Katrina, I feel that it's fully justified to refer to it as "our tsunami". Granted, I'm safe and all I lost was my power. Some of the stories I'm reading are just unbelievable. Deaths, looting, flooding, given that New Orleans is below sea level and their levees broke, yeah, it's hell here.