I heard Our lady peace for the first time today! Anyone with info on them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
"Innocent". Musically, they're juuuuust on the edge of being too harsh for my liking - but not over the edge.

I quite liked the singer's voice, it was nice to hear him switch from low/normal heighth to falsetto with ease.

So - what should I know about them? Which album should I get?

:up: Things to know: They are Canadian :heart: :sexywink:

OLP have been around for years. Like nearly ten I believe. I can't personally say waht album you should buy as I am hoping for a Greatest Hits compilation myself, however their most recent album seems brilliant.

More things to know- Rain Maida (sp?) is the lead singer and he is :drool:. He is also married to Canadian drowned rat Chantal Kreviazuk :silent:

Yay for Canadian music (other than Alanis and Celine) hitting Slovenia!

olp025.jpg

Angel said:
:
OLP have been around for years. Like nearly ten I believe.

:shocked:

That long?

:reject:

Yes I forgot to mention the singer is quite easy on the eye :D and he seems charismatic.

As for Canadian music: also I heard of the Barenaked Ladies (Canadians too right?), Avril Lavigne, Leonard Cohen (actually this is the only one who's courtesy of our radio, not the MTV...errr he's Canadian right?), and yes, of course Celine (just saw the video for her cover of I drove all night - originally by Roy Orbison. Yes she has the amazing voice but musically that cover is B-O-R-I-N-G) and Alanis (have a few of her songs on tape).

:sexywink: Their first album came out in 1994.

They are a good band. Funny how I don't own any of their albums. :der:

their only really good album is the first..naveed..that is very good...eveything else has become progressively more taylored for radio play :down:

Screaming Flower said:
i only own spiritual machines. i like it lots though.

I'm a big fan of the song "Life" from Spiritual Machines. It's good. I've heard a few other songs from that album that I like.

I need to borrow it from my buddy and listen to it sometime.

Their major releases have been:

Naveed
Clumsy
Happiness is not a fish that you can catch
Spiritual Machines
Gravity

--Naveed is probably the most 'hard rock' of them all. Spiritual Machines was critically acclaimed, but deemed as being a rip off of OK Computer. I liked Happiness, but others don't. Clumsy is good. I'm still trying out Gravity.

Do you download music, u2Girl?

Great band. great music. I own all the albums, and I think I like the newest one (Gravity) the best right now. All are good, and I consider them one of my favorite bands.

I would say that you should buy the new album first, then work back through the other cd's.

Angel said:
More things to know- Rain Maida (sp?) is the lead singer and he is :drool:. He is also married to Canadian drowned rat Chantal Kreviazuk :silent:

Hey! I like Chantal! :mad: lol

Get Happiness or Spiritual Machines first.

yeah they are a pretty good band. seen them live a few times and they are quite good live.

best album is definately clumsy and after that would be naveed. i personally think that they have been getting progressively worse over the years. don't own any of their albums past happiness.... and i don't even really like that one very much.

raine is very hot :combust:

the pic is a bit deceiving cause the blond guy in the back with the shades is no longer in the band. they have a new guitarist who is quite good. steve something or other.

songs to check out:

naveed
starseed
clumsy
superman's dead
4 am
theif
is anybody home?
right behind you
do you like it?
carnival
somewhere out there

If you like them, check out Matthew Good Band's Underdogs and Beautiful Midnight...

As for OLP's newest album, I have to say that I found it to be much less enjoyable than Happiness... , Clumsy, and Naveed... maybe it's because Rain made the same mistake that has been the pitfall of many Alternative Rock bands... he said that his lyrics are now "more real" and "in the moment"... personally, I've yet to here any mindblowing albums from an artist that has said this... (see Stone Temple Pilots after rehab)...

So basically, if you like the new album you will probably like their previous material just as much if not better.

cujo said:

So basically, if you like the new album you will probably like their previous material just as much if not better.

I totally agree. I'm not excessively familiar with all of their stuff, but I'd definitly have to say that I find the latest album to have their weakest material on it.

cujo said:
If you like them, check out Matthew Good Band's Underdogs and Beautiful Midnight...

:up:

definately check them out. they were a great band. and also check out matt good's new solo album avalanche. it's quite good as well. :D

I feel sort of bad now that I think that the new album is better than some of the older ones.....I must be listening to the new one way too much. I really should go listen to Happiness... again...

Back
Top Bottom