I have weight problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I have a weight problem. I have for a long time, and no matter what I seem to do, I can't burn it. I've tried cutting back, excercising more, etc. But nothing works. I think recently a big part of it is due to my job. I work at McDonalds, and get off late. I always end up eating after 9, and I know eating that late isn't healthy. I also know McDonalds in and of itself isn't the best healthiest place to eat. I could eat salads, but that'd be really hard. Not cuz I don't want to eat salad, I like them (with honey, dressing is blah). But it makes me sick. So do some of my other favorite fruits and veggies. I love bananas. They make me sick. I love carrots. Celery. They all make me sick. I went through a bout with bulimia last year, lost like 20 pounds, but got very sick. Thankfully some friends snapped me out of it. The thing is, I weigh in excess of 200 pounds, and I'm only 5'8". People say I carry my weight very well, but I don't really feel that way, since I'm the one carrying it. I want to avoid complications later in life from it, but I can't seem to drop any off. This summer alone I've gained 8 pounds! Anyone who can help or has words of encouragement, please feel free to drop me a line.

This may make you feel worse, but I'm gonna tell you anyway....

When I was a pup like you, I couldn't gain weight. I know, people who are trying to lose lbs. hate when I say that, but it's the truth.

I hated the fact that I was SO skinny. I mean I was really, really thin...and I did everything I could to try and gain weight. I drank my brother's protein "build muscles" drinks, I ate everything in sight but still couldn't gain a pound.

Now you have to understand, this was before unhealthy looking thin models were glamorized in the media.

So why am I telling you this??? Well, because you're okay the way you are just like I was okay the way I was then and the way I am now. (what a horrible sentence, glad I don't teach English)

Focus on being healthy, having fun, trying to enjoy where you are right now in your life.

And hey,
wink.gif
at least you didn't cut all your hair off like I did.

nrrdgrrl.gif

------------------
"See, the rock star gets his way! Thank you very much. This feels very Elvis. Thank you."

Bono ~ Houston, Texas 4-02-01

Actually, I'm kind of in the same boat as Like O2. For the longest time, I wanted to gain weight, as I was starting to think I was way too underweight (6'2", 155 lbs). Basically, I just felt that I didn't fit society's ideas of what is 'hot.'

But it was the most interesting thing. I had surgery and lost something like 25 lbs, so I felt really bad about my weight, but as I recovered, my weight went right back to where it was. Genetics is a weird thing, and I just came to a realization that this is what I am supposed to be.

However, I do empathize with your plight, so I'll just offer two tips I learned about weight loss. First of all, while the 1980s-early 1990s emphasized an all carbohydrate approach to losing weight, it turned out to be the worst thing, actually doing the opposite! See, in carbohydrate metabolism, your body produces insulin to break down these complex sugars, but the side-effect is that insulin prevents weight loss and overtaxing your pancreas develops into type II diabetes later as an adult.

So, my advice is to try and cut out all simple sugars (candy, ice cream, soda, etc.) and eat about 75% protein, 25% complex carbohydrates. Just a bit of warning (as I tried to convert to this diet due to sugar problems), you will get withdrawal symptoms (weakness mostly) for about 1 week, as your body adjusts (what most people don't know is that we are all physically addicted to carbohydrates).

Well, it is just a little tip I learned. I would also perhaps consult a professional before trying any weight loss program. However, I do hope that whatever you do from here, that you are happy.

Melon

------------------
?Confused by thoughts, we experience duality in life. Unencumbered by ideas, the enlightened see the one reality.? - Hui-neng (638-713)

Ahhhh...I love carbs. Baking will do that to you.

Anyway, I gained a bunch of weight a few years ago, and it was bitch taking it off but I did it. Walking was the only exercise program I used. I started slowly, just around the block at first, and now (God willing and the feet don't act up), I walk two miles with hand weights every morning. I've kept my weight at a reasonable, manageable level.
UL, If fruits and vegetables make you sick, see a doc to rule out any serious problems. Then cut out just ONE thing that will put the weight on. Maybe french fries to start. You'll see the weight start to come off slowly, but surely.
This sounds like a pain, but this is what I did. I counted calories and fat, too, but you don't need to do that. Reward yourself when you reach a self-set goal. Maybe a new tattoo isn't what you want (that was mine), but something nice for yourself. Put all the unspent french fry $ into your U2 concert tickets fund and watch it add up.

I'll shut up now.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Lemon, many people will understand what you are saying. Whether its too much weight or not enough, many ppl have weight dramas.

I dont actually know what 200 pounds is, but it doesnt sound like you're facing obesity or anything. We all know the rules with dieting. They can be very dangerous, and people can often give misguided information with all good intentions.

I think the worst thing you could do (and I know Im not an expert, but I have a reason for suggesting this) is to eliminate one food element or focus on one in particular, such as Protein, carbohydrates, fast acting sugars etc. Diets based on this can cause more harm than good. Sorry to disagree with you here melon. But the best thing for you to do is to book in some sessions with your nearest dietician. There should be one at a local hospital or health centre that does appointments. They will help you assess what foods and products you can base a diet on to assist you. You may not be one who needs for instance many carbohydrates or slow release sugar. Who knows? The dietician will anyway.

Ask them whats the deal with GI indexes. I am pretty sure this is the term. Last time I was at my Endocronolgist (DR who does diabetes/coeliacs), I was talking about chinese food and how it can sometimes put my blood sugar level way up. And he told me there are books released on what index all brands and types of foods actually have. For instance calrose rice has a GI of 45 while Brown Rice is something like 85. Brands of bread for instance can vary by about 50 marks. These marks are given by the amount of sugar and energy they have or something and is out of 100. Again, ask an expert for more specific and reliable advice.

Also ask what are considered 'free' foods. These are the foods you can munch away on to your hearts content with no worries. Eg, peas. They have little carbohydrate value, no sugar or fat. You basically need about 6 kilos to get a carb out of these babies! Thats an eg of course and there are countless others. But thats my suggestion. Find out where you might need to alter things to get where you want to be.

One more thing b4 I kill you with boredom, perhaps you have something undiagnosed? Hope I dont alarm you here! A lot of illness from the foods you said before may mean there are underlying causes. One doctor may say nothing is wrong, but keep getting 2nd and 3rd opinions until you are satisfied you have covered all bases. Ie get your thyroid checked, iron levels, infections like glandular fever etc. It will clear your mind over the issue too.

Sorry to rave on! hope this reply wasnt tooo long, hehehe
biggrin.gif

I am certainly no expert about these matters, but here are a few words of advice/encouragement:

I have never been obese exactly, but I certainly have always carried lots of unwanted weight on my hips, hating myself for it. In fact, my weight, and my inability to diet made a big contribution in ruining my ballet career! I totally understand how miserable you feel, even though I'm sure you look fine!

Anyway, last year, I gained an extra 10lbs out of nowhere (making me 20lbs heavier than my teens!). I couldn't understand it, so I tried some experimenting with carb reduction and increasing my fat/protein. I have to agree with Melon, it really worked for me, I have lost 8lbs already, although it is taking time (which is a good sign)!

I also agree with Angela Harlem, that you have to be careful to be healthy about this and do what will work for you. You don't want to go to extremes. But a lot of Drs./nutritionists think carb reduction is mumbo jumbo, but it might just work if you try it.

Basically, fat is what makes you feel full, and full for long periods of time. This is very handy when you're trying to reduce your overall consumption of food. Also, lots of fats are beneficial. In fact, fat free sauces etc usually have tonnes of carbs in there to make them taste better.

Fat doesn't make you fat, it's when the excess insulin is released as a result of the carbs. The insulin converts the unused carbs to fat. (this is a very simplistic way of looking at it, but I was never very mathematical!)

So in practical terms, I have been eating 2 very low carb meals, and one carby meal per day a la Carbohydrate Addicts' book. Atkins, though it works very well, could never last (for me) because it's a bit too impractical, no matter what he says.

So there are some thoughts for you. If I were you, I'd eat low carb meals for brekkie and lunch, (not carrots or fruit - too carby), and then eat whatever you want at McDonalds or whatever in the evening (including carrots, fruit etc). If you can't eat earlier than 9, I guess you don't have much choice, but it should be OK. That's awful about those things making you sick. Not sure what to say about that, except to eat the healthy foods that don't make you sick, and maybe see a Doctor.

There's my 2 cents!

------------------
"Thanks!" - Mrs. Edge to The Edge in 1997

"Thanks very much!" - Mrs. Edge to The Edge in 2001, her level of eloquence having improved considerably...

Unforgettable Lemon...

There are no real shortcuts to losing the weight. There is no magic pill, no potion that can be ingested.

But you have to realize that YOU CAN DO IT! You just have to be determined that you are going to do it. Your diet is the most important thing. They are right when they say "You are what you eat." I would recommend, if at all possible, to get a job somewhere other than McDonalds (or a fast food joint). Work at the supermarket, or babysit or do yard work/ landscaping. Anything but McDonalds. McDonalds is the absolute worst stuff you can put into your body. You need to concentrate on eating healty, lean yet tasteful meals. Grilled chicken, instead of burgers. Skim milk instead of Whole milk or cream. Also, MetRx bars and shakes are great nutritious ways to supplement meals. They are about 340 calories, and with 35+ grams or protein and 100% of many vitamins, they are invalubale. Start drinking water (or at the very least diet soda) instead of regular cokes. Have a yogurt or a met rx bar instead of chips, cookies and ice cream. The thing is, once you start eating the right way, healthy stuff, you will start to eventually feel better, on the inside and out, and the though of eating the "bad stuff" will be sickening. You just have to realize that it is in your own control, and then you can do it if you truly set your mind to it. Good Luck!

I'm good at what I do, and I make like 40 cents above mimimum wage, so I'm not leaving McDonalds until school is out, and I leave for College. But I don't eat the food much anymore, maybe once every week or less, especially working nights. I don't want to eat past 7 o'clock. I'll give you all a post updating my situation in a few days.

------------------
If I had a head like yours I'd bleedin' bury it.

This is.. uh... we don't play this tune... gonna be f*cked up!

I think exercise is the key. I have
to much meat on my body too. I work
as a gardner and i go by bike to my
work ( 32 km every day ). My wieght is
110 kg and i am 1.90 meter. But at my
medical checkup every year i am in a
perfect healt. Even for the upcoming years.
So, get your bike out, go walking and
be carefull what you eat.

And do not forget to pogo on each concert
you attend.

music341.gif

[This message has been edited by Rono (edited 08-25-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom