I have some questions about.......uhm....stuff mainy the universe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura M

Blue Crack Addict
Siamese twins with 2 heads but one brain- is that 2 ppl or one person with 2 of each body part?? If one person is sick- is the other twin sick??? They think the same thoughts- which twin is thinking which???

Yeh and the universe- I dont get this universe stuff

You know the way the universe started was by the big bang theory- ok so if the universe is expanding and expanding- will it ever stop expanding??

Whats it exapanding through??? A big box??? Can it be nothingness because there must be something outside our universe- it just cant be expanding into NOTHING cus that seems IMPOSSIBLE

Are there lots of universes all expanding and one day they will meet with each other??

I just don't understand this stuff- I hate when questions can't be answered
:scream:

:help:

Wow, girlie...loads of questions......and Bono's answer would be: God made the universe. That's it. No questioning. Jutst be-lieve. :lol:

why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway????:scratch:

actually, you should read carl sagan's book "cosmos".....it explains everything about the universe.....(I think....I couldn't really understand much of it).:der:

I think chevy chase summed it up best in "caddyshack" when he quoted the french philosopher Basha:
"a doughnut without a hole in it is a dansih".:shrug:

:help: it's been a long summer:silent:

Lara Mullen said:
You know the way the universe started was by the big bang theory- ok so if the universe is expanding and expanding- will it ever stop expanding??
The whole "object in motion tends to remain in motion" thing inclines me to say no, but some theorists say it will get so large and then start getting smaller.
Nobody really knows the answer to that one, it's hugely debated.

Whats it exapanding through??? A big box??? Can it be nothingness because there must be something outside our universe- it just cant be expanding into NOTHING cus that seems IMPOSSIBLE
Well... ok... one could say that since there is a void between planets this void extends infinately in all directions. But then someone else could say "Hey, don't electrimagnetic photons (i.e. light) occupy said void?" And the answer would be "well, yeah..."
I tend to think the whole void-in-all-directions thing and that when we say the universe is expanding we mean the boundary of matter from the big bang is the border of the universe.
Keep in mind the big bang theory is also debated a lot too.
So that whole speech sums up as this: I don't know and I don't really think about it cos trying to comprehend infinity makes my brain hurt.

Are there lots of universes all expanding and one day they will meet with each other??
Usually when people think of multiple universes they think of parallel universes.

I :heart: quantum theory, I just hate doing the calculations... remember I'm not a quantum physicist and thusly could be wrong, and if you think I am tell me what you think cos I'd loove to hear it :D

I'd say it is one person with two body parts. Many people have a sixth finger sticking out limply from their hands and they still consider it their finger, right? Only difference between these two examples is that one extra body part is a finger and the other extra body part is a head. *shrug*

I'm not sure if infinity can manifest itself in the material world. In the world of math, of theories, infinity works; but it can't actually exist in the real world.

..imagine a library with an infinite number of black books, and an infinite number of green books. Does it make any sense to say there are as many black books as there are black and green books together? Suppose we withdraw all the green books. There would still be an infinite number of books in the library even though we just withdrew an infinite number. Something surely is wrong here! In the real world the whole is always greater than its part. Numorous other examples could be given to show that even though the concept of the actual infinite may be used legitimately in infinite set theory, it produces all sorts of absurdities when squeezed into the real world. - Michael Horner's analogy of an 'absurd library'.

But, I heard that today's advanced mathematics actually proves otherwise but I'm an idiot at math and so I don't know their theories.

On space, time, infinity, and the universe my former chaplain had a nice little answer for me.

He said, imagine you are looking at the universe and you travel through space all the way up to the end of the universe. There at the end of the universe, there is a giant wall where space and the universe stop/end.

And in that wall, we have a little door. You go up to the door and open it, and look through. What is on the other side of this wall?

More space

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom