i have a question if there are any nba fans out there

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
as a casual observer, at best, of the nba(a rare observer when the raptors are in the tank such as they are now, 1 of 17?) one question has always eluded me:

why on earth are there so many '10 day' contracts given out in basketball?
this seems to be the only sport in which these are prevalent, but why?

i've never been able to see a reason or logic behind their use only in the nba. i don't think players associations would be opposed.

------------------
tell me you feel this fire

unless they are simply the basketball equivalent of the minor league call up in the nhl and nba. i'm not sure and i don't know if anyone really cares.

smile.gif

I think, but not sure, that they have 10 day contracts in case a player gets hurt. If a team places someone on the injured list, that player must miss a certain amount of games or days, not sure which. Regardless, they cannot return for a set time. So they have these 10 day contracts to sorta fill in while a player is on the injured list; if that player does a good job, they may sign him for the rest of the season.

That is the impression that I get.

Brian

but why don't other leagues employ the concept?

is it just that basketball has a large inventory of unsigned players floating around?

remember that the NBA teams do not have minor league affiliations, there is no need for ten day contracts in the NHL, for instance, because teams already have minor league players under contract, and they are simply brought in for however long they are needed

I really don't think you want to see the NHL or other leagues emulate the NBA, it limits your roster flexibility and overall, because there is no minor leagues, teams do not invest in players that merely have "promise," if they don't develop right away, they are lost and forgotten in inferior leagues, never belonging to any team, thus rendering them in effect, "throw-away"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom