I have a Frank Sinatra question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_girlie_2002

War Child
I am trying very hard to find a definitive best of collection he's done with all the songs Frank's known for: Luck Be a Lady, Summer Wind, Fly Me to the Moon, Chicago, etc...I found a great Reprise boxed set with those and many more on it except for Chicago and New York, New York...I know this is probably a long shot, but does anyone know why their not all included together? Were they different years at different stints at different record companies and the reason their not included is because of legal copyrights and such? I was just wondering that's all :)

anyone know?

Last edited:
I had the same problem. You're probably going to have to buy a couple different releases.

The answer is yes, Sinatra was on two major record labels in his heydays, and that's why the collections are different, with few overlaps. If you want most of the good stuff, you should pick up "The Best of the Capitol Years" ( a sampling of the boxed set which includes I've Got The World on a String, I Get A Kick Out of You, Learnin' The Blues, Love and Marriage, You Make Me Feel So Young, The Lady Is A Tramp, Night And Day, Witchcraft, and Come Fly With Me), and "Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years" (containing Luck Be A Lady, The Way You Look Tonight, My Kind of Town, The Best is Yet to Come, Fly Me To The Moon, I've Got You Under My Skin, Stranger in the Night, That's Life, My Way, Send in the Clowns, New York New York, etc.). Both are essential.

Personally I'd also recommend Sinatra: Live at the Sands which has some of my favorite versions of his songs, as well as some funny (if off-color) monologue stuff.

lazarus said:
The answer is yes, Sinatra was on two major record labels in his heydays, and that's why the collections are different, with few overlaps. If you want most of the good stuff, you should pick up "The Best of the Capitol Years" ( a sampling of the boxed set which includes I've Got The World on a String, I Get A Kick Out of You, Learnin' The Blues, Love and Marriage, You Make Me Feel So Young, The Lady Is A Tramp, Night And Day, Witchcraft, and Come Fly With Me), and "Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years" (containing Luck Be A Lady, The Way You Look Tonight, My Kind of Town, The Best is Yet to Come, Fly Me To The Moon, I've Got You Under My Skin, Stranger in the Night, That's Life, My Way, Send in the Clowns, New York New York, etc.). Both are essential.

Personally I'd also recommend Sinatra: Live at the Sands which has some of my favorite versions of his songs, as well as some funny (if off-color) monologue stuff.

thanks for replying you two. I thought it may be a long shot of someone being able to answer my question here, but it worked out :) Both of those albums look really awesome. I did a search on Amazon real quick to check tracklists. You know, I think when my mom and I were rummaging through the shelves at Barnes and Noble and at the Virgin Megastore, all 3 of those we came across, but at the time I wasn't sure if they were the "exact" albums I was looking for. You know when you find something you have to be 150% positive its right otherwise you won't buy? Well, it turns out they are which is killer! As I said, I found that Reprise boxed set for sale, but its $60 dollars. But, the songs from it that I really want are on the one you mentioned "Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years." I'll definitely be heading to Ebay once the holidays are over.

thanks to you both! :)

lazarus said:
The answer is yes, Sinatra was on two major record labels in his heydays, and that's why the collections are different, with few overlaps.
Don't forget his Columbia stuff, which is well worth looking into.

I agree that Sinatra at the Sands is a great starting point. You won't get even anywhere near all the important songs, but it holds together better as an album than any compilation.

most sintra you can download legally now anyway on peer2peer. 50 years after inital release, ''popular'' music becomes public domain.

U2democrat said:
I have Sinatra Reprise, and I absolutely :love: it! :up:

I use it to drown out the boys in the dorm room next to me when they blast their hip hop.

lol I used to do that with U2 though instead of my "neighbours" getting yelled at for their music blasting, I would :huh:

I bought it tonight at CD Warehouse. I found it new for $14.99 and I couldn't be happier. There's only 2 songs that aren't on here that I really want: Chicago and Come Fly With Me, but whatever. Those can wait. :)

thanks for everyone's help again!

This is what I have:
e61562la3g8.jpg

It contains 46 songs. It's a great compilation I think, really good. I listen to it a lot. But for some reason it doesn't have As Time Goes By, One For Me Baby and Luck Be A Lady. :mad:

MrBrau1 said:

I thought it was 75 years?

I think it is 70 years after the copyright owner's death. So public domain is still a ways off.

*edited to note that may be for new works and possibly even specific to another country (other than the US)

However I also found this:

virtually all sound recordings are under copyright protection until around the year 2067 You will either have to make your own recording from a public domain source or obtain a license to use an existing recording. There are claims on the internet that sound recordings made in the U.S. prior to 1972 are in the public domain. We have had these claims reviewed by several attorneys who have emphatically told us that this is NOT true. It is imperative that you consult an attorney before using a pre-1972 recording that you believe to be in the public domain.

on this site which would make the arrangements copyrighted, even if the song itself is in the public domain.

Last edited:
Copyright expirations keep getting pushed further and further back. I'd be stunned if anything by a huge artist like Frank Sinatra or the Beatles ever becomes public domain in my lifetime.

The 75 years thing applies to 'Western Art Music.' -

and in particular scores of thsi. this basically refers to classical music. the beatles/sinatra/elvis etc is NOT art music.

This is the reason that the entire catalogue of Mozart (Score) and Beethovan can be downlaoded legally. Classical recordings are linked however to the artist in the recording. Indeed i have most of this in .pdf

Popularmusic is 50years after the release date. Much sinatra is pre 1955, therefore you can download it legally as an audio file. (This isn't widey known for obvious reasons) in a few years i think this might get a big mass coverage when the likes of Early Cliff Richard, Elvis and Bill Haley+ the comets works become avalible.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

Though the RIAA will still try and take you to task over it`

U2democrat said:
I have Sinatra Reprise, and I absolutely :love: it! :up:

I use it to drown out the boys in the dorm room next to me when they blast their hip hop.

lol I forgot to say it was this one I bought.
The Reprise sampler :)

I've begun to love Sinatra and it's all thanks to Michael Bublé.

With a guy like Frank though, it gets kind of frustrating because you can't really hope to "own it all" like with U2. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom