I Hate the Dave Matthews Band - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2005, 09:40 PM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Hate, hate and more hate

Old 06-20-2005, 09:43 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:01 PM
zoney & digi

I don't like Dave Matthews either.

But these threads are utterly stupid. I remember when Bang & Clatter actually hosted intelligent music discussions. It seems like a long time ago.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:52 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:01 PM
DiGi, you are a hero.

The disparity seems to be between people who've been around Bang and Clatter for a long time (years, in many cases) and those who are relatively new to the board. This is not to bash newbies--we all used to be one. But since the release of the new U2 album, this forum has been extremely busy with lots of people new to the board.

The point is, Bang and Clatter used to be a forum of enlightening music discussion. Lots of positive discussions about artists of all genres. But there has been a lot of hate in B&C lately, and a lot of opinions without any intelligent discussion. There is a huge difference between writing a three paragraph, well-thought-out explanation of why a certain artist doesn't exactly inspire you. To start a thread saying "I hate so and so. They're ugly and their voice sucks and my dog hates them too" fails to foster any genuine discussion of an artist.

The arguments saying "Start your own threads!" or "Don't read these threads" are ridiculous. There have been so many crap threads in this forum lately that the more intelligent ones get bumped off the first page and into oblivion within an afternoon's time.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and that's mine. If other people are going to express their negative opinions of a musical artist, I wish they'd do so in an intelligent manner.

Edited to add: And as an unwritten rule for myself, I usually don't start threads about artists I dislike, and I don't go in threads about them and rain on the parade of their fans. I love the argument that "it's good to get it off your chest." Sorry, but I've never hated a musical artist so badly that it was eating me up inside and I just had to tell someone. So yeah. I think it keeps things a lot more positive around here to do that, and people can post about their favorite bands without the fear of getting bashed for their taste in music.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:10 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
But there has been a lot of hate in B&C lately, and a lot of opinions without any intelligent discussion. There is a huge difference between writing a three paragraph, well-thought-out explanation of why a certain artist doesn't exactly inspire you. To start a thread saying "I hate so and so. They're ugly and their voice sucks and my dog hates them too" fails to foster any genuine discussion of an artist.
Perhaps one reason why those threads keep happening is because people keep responding to them all angry and everything. If you just ignore the crap threads, they should eventually dwindle off, because those people who start those are looking for a reaction, and if they don't get one, well, there's not much of a point to doing it anymore, is there?

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
The arguments saying "Start your own threads!" or "Don't read these threads" are ridiculous. There have been so many crap threads in this forum lately that the more intelligent ones get bumped off the first page and into oblivion within an afternoon's time.
Bump them back up. And just keep trying for intelligent discussions. That's really the only solution I can think of right now.
Believe me, I do agree with you-I'm tired of seeing people get insulted because they dare like such-and-such artist, too. I want positive discussions regarding music, too. But if you don't think starting intelligent discussion threads or ignoring the crap threads is going to solve the problem, then what should we do?

Angela
Old 06-20-2005, 10:24 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:01 PM
I agree with you that it is important to ignore the negative threads and bump the positive ones. I honestly hadn't even read this thread until someone said I should take a look at zoney's post. I thought he made a good point, and this thread seemed like as good a place as any to second that emotion. And just today I bumped up the good ol' Fiery Furnaces thread to rave about them. It's a good strategy, and I do employ it.

But I think the X factor here is going to be some self-awareness and self-control. Maybe some people will read the responses in this thread and think twice the next time they feel the need to post another "I hate X" or "so and so unappreciation" thread. I think many of these such threads are started by people who are new here and aren't thinking about what kind of tone they're setting in this forum with their negativity. Maybe now they'll think first.

And that is not to say that I don't like debate or that we should all love all music. I just wish the discussions were a bit more intelligent and backed up with some evidence rather than a short, meaningless "I don't care, I just hate so and so" or a smiley rolling its eyes.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:45 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

I should start an I Love Zootlesque thread, would that make you people happier? cuz he does rule.

but I stand by what I've said, DMB sucks, and I will say it as much as I want because it's how I feel. If you disagree, I don't care, have fun listening to a no-talent eyebrow-raising two-bit hack. JUST BECAUSE HE CAN RAISE HIS EYEBROW DOESN'T MEAN HE'S A TALENTED MUSICIAN! or a talented anything for that matter.

YARR!
Old 06-20-2005, 10:56 PM   #67
Blue Meth Addict

Thank you class of 2007.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:15 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
I should start an I Love Zootlesque thread, would that make you people happier? cuz he does rule.

but I stand by what I've said, DMB sucks, and I will say it as much as I want because it's how I feel. If you disagree, I don't care, have fun listening to a no-talent eyebrow-raising two-bit hack. JUST BECAUSE HE CAN RAISE HIS EYEBROW DOESN'T MEAN HE'S A TALENTED MUSICIAN! or a talented anything for that matter.

YARR!
I guess I don't understand why you would listen to someone you hate. As for the "I have to listen to them, they are playing on the radio where I work/go to school/shop/etc., etc., etc.," I suggest you learn the ever so useful tactic of tuning out that which you do not wish to hear....you know, like kids do with their parents. It works like a charm.

Loads of bands/musicians I don't like...I just don't listen to the or I tune them out. Of course I got called a pretentious twat (I'm pretty sure those were the words used) because I had the nerve to suggest that turning off a tv or radio was a reasonable course of action when there was something on the person didn't like.... I didn't quite follow that poster's logic (which is probably best because I don't think there was much logic there ).
Old 06-20-2005, 11:17 PM   #69
Refugee

I don't start band hating threads I just instigate them.

Have you killed yet son?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:41 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
Thank you class of 2007.
Thank you for making a judgement based on my age, I didn't realize every post made on this board ever needed to be taken so seriously.

And I don't listen to DMB, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting jokingly about his eyebrows as if that meant anything.

I'll just go be an awesome pirate elsewhere.

MOFO!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:44 PM   #71
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunbury

Have you killed yet son?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:45 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I didn't realize every post made on this board ever needed to be taken so seriously.
Yet, you assume that mofo was being serious.

It's all a joke everybody. No need to let it sink in.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:17 AM   #73
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

haha
Old 06-21-2005, 04:52 AM   #74
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98

We're donkeys because we have nothing better to do then bash other bands?? It seems like you got nothing better to do with your time then bash other people's posts.

Just because people say that DMB sucks, they aren't saying that they themselves are better, but if you wanna be a musician in this world, you have to face criticism. Even U2 get bashed by a lot of people, including their own fans on Interference. So deal with it.

How is anyone's time being wasted? If you don't want to take time to read this thread or post in it, you don't have to.

And people obviously do care, because a lot of people support my opinion and they are enjoying this thread.
My response had to do only with the unitelligent post that you made to start this thread. If you do not like them, thats great. No one said you had to. I certainly do not like Britney Spears, but I do not start threads titled I hate Britney because she has a big fake set of tata's. An argument which would parallel the complete foolishness of your opening argument below.

"Dave Matthews has the most boring voice ever. Just one line from American Baby is stuck in my head! I can't stand it, I hate this song and the band!!!!!!! "

Well thought out and informed. If I needed a trial lawyer I would hire you for the sheer brilliance in your argument. Maybe you could instead tell us about a band that few of us have heard of so we could listen to something new.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:04 AM   #75
War Child

Local Time: 11:01 PM
Quote:

YARR!
you hate them, that's fine, no one cares.

Some people are taking issue with the fact that this forum is clogged with negative garbage or threads that invite an arguement. Starting a thread about hating a band is nothing but shit stirring...