I hate Sex In The City. - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #181
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocrazy88 View Post
It doesn't matter that she's ugly, just like it doesn't matter that half the characters in the movies like "Superbad" or teen-boy movies are fugly as hell, because they are funny. I don't think it's wrong to think she's ugly. But Maxim called her the Unsexiest woman alive. That hurts a girl's feelings. Do they have an unsexiest man alive list? I'm not just being sarcastic. Do they?

It's unfair, but we have to admit that female actors and stars are held to a different standard than male stars.
They do, it's called when women get their hair done. Maxim's probably not the greatest source for this kind of argument either, since it's a male magazine. You're telling me that articles in stuff like Cosmo or Vogue or whatever on "how to fix your man" isn't as degrading to men. It goes both ways, at least to some degree.

Oh, no question that male actors are held to a different standard than women, but it's always been that way. I'm willing to bet it's far greater for female actors now than it was during most of the 20th century.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #182
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:30 PM
Yeah Maxim is predominantly men. In fact, SJP was named something of the sexiest woman after the incident by another magazine. Of course women's magazines are degrading to men, but I haven't seen a list yet that degrades men for simply being ugly. Most of the time, being funny counteracts that. In women, we hardly see any famous women who go very far in the movie industry who are considerably homely.

I am not sure if female actors have it better now than they did considering the average woman shown on television now is considerably tinier than she has ever been. In the United States alone, only 5% of females look like (have the body type) what is shown in a majority of media. I am not sure about other countries, but U.S. standards for women have gone up drastically.

It's really not fair to anyone, man or woman. I am not blaming men at all because I think the system is what is screwed up.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #183
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:30 PM
Quote:
But Maxim called her the Unsexiest woman alive. That hurts a girl's feelings. Do they have an unsexiest man alive list? I'm not just being sarcastic. Do they?
No. But consider their demographic, and consider that it's not really a magazine anyone in their right mind would a) respect; and b) hold to a high standard. I don't even think it takes itself that seriously.

That doesn't make it okay that they had that list, and I'm sure SJP was insulted by it, but I think the Maxim thing is just silly and doesn't deserve to be analyzed.

Edit: Oops, I should have read the last two posts first rather than be all repetitive. Oh well.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #184
Blue Crack Supplier

Women's magazines are pretty degrading to women, too. How often do you see stuff on the cover about "satisfying your man", "pleasing your man", etc? Seems like a lot of them only reinforce the low self-esteem that a lot of women already have.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #185
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
In women, we hardly see any famous women who go very far in the movie industry who are considerably homely.

I felt this had to be shown.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with you. Women are as much of a cause for these issues as well as men.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #186
Blue Crack Supplier

The only thing worse than that would be a Lance's Mom Soup, I think.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #187
Blue Crack Distributor

Most of those women's magazines are pretty crap. Cosmopolitan is the absolute worst.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #188
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Women's magazines are pretty degrading to women, too. How often do you see stuff on the cover about "satisfying your man", "pleasing your man", etc? Seems like a lot of them only reinforce the low self-esteem that a lot of women already have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Most of those women's magazines are pretty crap. Cosmopolitan is the absolute worst.

When I first started reading Cosmo in the 80's as a teen, back when Helen Gurley Brown was editor, and it had a feminist slant, it was a good read. Now when I see the cover of it in the check-out line, it just makes me really sad and angry to think of the crap that they're feeding girls and young women. But I suppose that's a rant for another thread.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #189
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post

When I first started reading Cosmo in the 80's as a teen, back when Helen Gurley Brown was editor, and it had a feminist slant, it was a good read. Now when I see the cover of it in the check-out line, it just makes me really sad and angry to think of the crap that they're feeding girls and young women. But I suppose that's a rant for another thread.
Tell me about it. They recycle the same garbage over and over, repackaging it with new headline.

Anyhoo, my best friend ordered me to watch all the seasons of SATC the other night She insists I go to the movie and that I'll just loooove it
Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #190
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Men's magazines like Maxim are degrading to both genders. So are women's mags like Cosmo.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #191
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono's shades View Post
Men's magazines like Maxim are degrading to both genders. So are women's mags like Cosmo.

Right on.

They perpetuate damaging and degrading gender role stereotypes that only serve to hurt real people who are more complex and sensitive than that.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well, I guess/hope there won't be sequel. Big and Carrie get married. I don't think they'll be raising rugrats in the city, so that means they'd move out to the suburbs somewhere. Then, what are they gonna do? Call it Sex and the Suburbs.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #193
Blue Crack Addict

I'm a woman and I wouldn't call SJP the "unsexiest" woman alive or even anywhere close, but I do feel that she's incredibly unattractive.

I nearly got dragged to see this thing last weekend until the person relented and allowed us to see Iron Man instead. Praise Jesus.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:30 PM

*loves anitram*

Old 06-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #195
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Sex and the Suburbs.
I think that's Desperate Housewives

Tags