I hate pop-ups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I hate pop-ups! When I go to some sites I get them. I used to have a pop-up blocker but it turned out to be spyware, so I kicked it out. Now I'm plagued with stupid pop-ups. Is there any way to stop these :censored: things?

I have my java disabled most of the time and that works. It's a bit of a pain having to switch it off and on, but it's better than having those s***ing popups all the time. Here's what to do using IE6:

Go to -
Tools
Internet Options
Security
Custom Level
Scroll down to Scripting
Then Disable Active Scripting and Scripting of Java Applets
Then OK and Apply

The only trouble is that some pages won't display or work as they should unless you go back to Default Level, and then you have to go through the above again. But I think it's worth it.

Hope it works.

if you have XP and are getting those annoying ass messenger service pop up ads, which literaly took over my computer, popping up every minute, to the point where i couldn't get anything done... try this...

disable_messenger_service.png

headache, did you make that pic? :D

if you have a mac, you can always use safari. i actually prefer using my husband's computer to surf the net now as opposed to mine because safari blocks pop ups. anybody got a couple grand to spare? because this has just reminded me how much i hate pop ups and pop unders. between this and this weird thing all my browsers (i've got them all, i use them to make sure my site looks okay) will suddenly become inactive like i clicked on something else, i'm mad at my computer.

me? believe me, i've already run adaware and spyboy several times, and even after deleting what came up (only tracking cookies which i wouldn't think could do this but i wouldn't put anything past any spyware) it still happens. there's a techy forum i go to and i'm trying to see if anyone over there can help me.

Hello,

An alternative to Internet Explorer is Mozilla Firebird. You can find it here:
http://www.mozilla.org

It has an option to block pop-ups (and white-list sites to allow them to show pop-ups).
Mozilla also allows for tabbed browsing, cookie management, customisable toolbars and more personalisation. More reasons to switch to Mozilla Firebird on this page:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/why/

I'm using it since May last year and luckily never experience pop-up hell anymore. :)

C ya!

Marty

KhanadaRhodes said:
yes, i have mozilla too but it unfortunately doesn't solve my main problem of my browser window suddenly becoming inactive.

Yes, that problem still remains (although, fortunately, Mozilla doesn't suddenly switch to the active tab). Stupid pages (who use this option)! And yes, besides Hotmail I'm also talking to you, Google Groups! :madspit:

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom