I hate NFL Refs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tampa bay got screwed

but if they wouldnt have given up 28 points in the 4th quarter they wouldnt have been in that predicament

You're preaching to the choir Chizip. A loss is a loss. At the same time, I feel bad for ANY team that loses because of a ref.

John Maddens quote of the night, "That's one of the most terrible calls I've seen in a long, long time."

Leaping - I've never heard that one called before. Technically a correct call. Definitely not in the spirit in which the rule was intended.

NB, you're right. The call was technically correct, but what a call all the same. That game was wild. The poor refs probably have to ice their arms today from throwing their penalty flags so many times!

Ahem, well, it was a lame call, but it was only JUSTICE for the dozen or more bad calls against the Colts last night!! Such as, the phantom running into the punter, the face mask which was taken back, though it was not a reviewable play, the false start that cost them a drive when even the announcers said he snapped on time, and more. The officials did their best to defeat the Colts, and their comeback was miraculous. No Bucs fan has any right to moan about that stupid leaping call after all that happened. I went to bed because I couldn't stand the way the refs were picking on the Colts, and only came back at the end when my husband woke me up and told me they'd tied it. I couldn't believe it.

I also think Keyshawn's taunting of Marvin Harrison had something to do with Harrison catching fire. He has the heart of a champion. That's why he is a star reciever in the NFL and millions of other boys who had that dream are not. Keyshawn, he's an arrogant ass.

tampa didn't get screwed... if tampa's "fearsome defense" would have held on to a 21 point lead with under 4 to go, the refs never would have been given a chance to make a correct, although stupid, call. the rule in the NFL is different than that of college football. a player is not allowed to use another teammate as leverage in order to block a field goal. it was meant to stop people from stepping on their teammate's back to get higher up to block a kick, which is, actually, allowed in the NCAA. thus came the "leaping" and "leverage" penalties in the national... football league (dum-dum-dum-dum... da-dum, da-dum). it's in the nfl rule book, and it was the proper, although silly, call to make in the situation.

Taken from NFL.com
15 Yard Penalties

1. Chop block.
2. Clipping below the waist.
3. Fair catch interference.
4. Illegal crackback block by offense.
5. Piling on.
6. Roughing the kicker.
7. Roughing the passer.
8. Twisting, turning, or pulling an opponent by the facemask.
9. Unnecessary roughness.
10. Unsportsmanlike conduct.
11. Delay of game at start of either half.
12. Illegal low block.
13. A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent.
14. Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily.
15. A punter, placekicker, or holder who simulates being roughed by a defensive player.
16. Leaping.
17. Leverage.
18. Any player who removes his helmet after a play while on the field.
19. Taunting.

it's ironic that the same coach, john gruden, who was involved in the "tuck rule" incident in the raiders pats playoff game was involved in this one too. both times, the call was the correct and proper call according to the rule book, but both calls were also quite silly and need to be re-examined and clarified by the NFL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom