I hate cds you can't listen to on the computer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
All these cds have to be all fancy now, you can't even listen to the music anymore. I have at least a dozen cds that when you put them in, they want to install their screen saver, bring you to their website, play the music while taking over the computer and not allowing you to work, and all this other stuff!!

arrrrg!! :scream:

and I all wanted to do was listen to some David Gray! :(

oliveu2cm said:
All these cds have to be all fancy now, you can't even listen to the music anymore. I have at least a dozen cds that when you put them in, they want to install their screen saver, bring you to their website, play the music while taking over the computer and not allowing you to work, and all this other stuff!!

arrrrg!! :scream:

and I all wanted to do was listen to some David Gray! :(

You started venting about this and my first thought was White Ladder. I see someone else thought the same thing. :)

I also noticed that I couldn't copy this album and put it on an mp3 disc I was making for vacation. I had to use a boot instead. Same thing with Matchbox 20's Mad Season.

Thanks Bubba. I figured it out a few minutes after I posted this but b/c of nerves and stress I kept this post up lol. complaining about something trivial is a bit of a relief right now!

so back on topic: sheryl's "globe sessions" and garbage's "Beautiful Garbage" does the same thing to me. i hope U2 doesn't do that lame crap ever.

oh well cd's almost done now- i'll let ya know if John Mayer is a problem too.. ooh just after Sail Away is done.. :love:

your body is a wonderland...

John Mayer works just fine. Tricky burning (b/c he skips track #13!) but plays fine.

OK, carry on.. :kiss:

Those annoy me to, Olive. I've figured out how to work around the White Ladder prompts, but I can't get my Sarah McLachlan Surfacing cd to work in my puter.

The frustration is understandable... Jewel's This Way and the O Brother soundtrack also have these little programs, and I *think* I understand why it's done:

They add these little Flash programs because:

1) They're easy to create using Macromedia Director.

2) CD's usually have room for such programs, unless the disc is litterally filled with music.

3) With songs being so easily distributed as mp3's, they figure to add these programs with exclusive features to pursuade people to buy the album.

The problem is, they're often more annoying than attractive, because they start every time you insert the CD. This I also understand: if they required you to look up a specific file in the CD-ROM, you're less likely to either know about the program or use it.

(And since these CD's are "read-only," it's not like you can change a setting on the CD.)

It's an annoyance, certainly, but I don't mind it that much: some of the features are neat, and I usually rip the songs in mp3 format anyway (so I don't have to find the CD, so the disc remains in good condition, and so I can listen to songs in any order.)

Bubba

Hello,

I initially thought you were talking about actual copy protection. Having CD's with extra content that appears when you insert it in a CD-ROM player isn't that annoying to me. What I DO find annoying are those copy protection schemes many companies are now using that make it impossible to play a CD in your CD-ROM player. Once you insert it, the player will keep loading it, and loading it, and loading it and it refuses to play. Some of these CD's even freeze up an entire Apple iMac, it's then even impossible to upen the CD tray and take the CD out. You have to go to a repair shop to remove the CD from the tray. :mad:
I will refuse to buy those CD's!
Fortunately, the CD's I wanted to buy recently didn't have those copy protection thingies (not even Springsteen's The Rising, phew!). But it is an annoying development. I think the music industry deserves some spanking :)

C ya!

Marty

What I DO find annoying are those copy protection schemes many companies are now using that make it impossible to play a CD in your CD-ROM player. Once you insert it, the player will keep loading it, and loading it, and loading it and it refuses to play.

Exactly!!

Yes- Surfacing is another one. I can't even listen to the songs on the computer at all on that one (without leaving an annoying picture of her on the computer which prevents me from using it!)

I would rip the songs, but some CDs I can't even find where they are located because of all the folders and how the songs are programmed to play in certain applications only.

lol @ the music industry deserving a spank. U2 should take note- add features are a plus but not control-freak ones! ;) :D

This annoys me sometimes too. Especially when I just want to listen to my CD down here. But sometimes it can be useful to have extras especially if it's a video :yes: I wouldn't say no to a U2 video if they added one on their CD.

Phew!

I just read on http://www.u2log.com that there initially were plans to include an anti-copy system on the Best Of 1990-2000 CD. But the size of that system was going to be too big with the 16 tracks on the CD. So now a hidden track is opted for instead. Again, phew. I almost feared my favourite band was also going over to the dark-side and create an album you cannot play on a CD-ROM.

C ya!

Marty (who wants to stress the copy-protection system and not the name of the band to make this entry eligible for LS :p)

I always enjoy your informed and cleary stated posts!

Popmartijn said:
Phew!

I just read on http://www.u2log.com that there initially were plans to include an anti-copy system on the Best Of 1990-2000 CD. But the size of that system was going to be too big with the 16 tracks on the CD. So now a hidden track is opted for instead. Again, phew. I almost feared my favourite band was also going over to the dark-side and create an album you cannot play on a CD-ROM.

C ya!

Marty (who wants to stress the copy-protection system and not the name of the band to make this entry eligible for LS :p)

hahaha is this proof Bono heard my cry? ;)

if so: Thank you!!! ( we need a "phew: disaster averted" smilie)

:dance:

Back
Top Bottom