i got Velvet Revolver,s album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
ok i just got their album CONTRABAND.(They have three covers i got the white one) it does not come out till tuesday but i kind of know this guy from a local record store.
this cd rocks! no long slash solos oh there are solos but no 1 min solo but man great songs!
right now it sounds 100% better than U2 atyclb. vr last song is like one of the best songs ever. and thats the last track!
i know you all will like it alot of melodies and all out rocking songs.
this does not sound like gnr .
id say its a better album than audioslaves (which is a good one)
go to vh1 or mtv and you can listen to the entire album online but it just sounds 100% better if you have the cd like me:wink: :wink:
now i know vr's songs so this tuesday ill be rocking out at their show !
give it a listen.

I can't believe there hasn't been more talk of this album in this forum. In the Pearl Jam Forum, there must be thirty threads about VR alone. I do not share your opinion on this album. No chance this is 100% better than ATYCLB.4 years later, and that album is still doing something for me. My biggest complaint is that "Contraband" seems to be overproduced. Everything seems to be mixed at one volume...loud. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't even hear Scott's vocals in places. I remember listening to STP's "Core" for the first time, and being blown away by that.....sorry, not this time. (coincidentally, STP's second, and best album, was released ten years ago this week)Don't get me wrong, there are some great songs on here (including the last one,"Loving the Alien", that you mentioned). I was expecting a more varied palette of music (which STP were very capable of), but it seems as if lots of the songs sound similar in places. I guess that's what draws me to U2 over a band like this....their ability to paint with lots of different colors, to paraphrase Bono. I've only had "Contraband" for a week, and this is only my initial impression, which could change. I'm still giving it a chance to grow on me. Any other feedback?

Agreed.

Personally I didn't find the album to have any flow whatsoever. Sounds like a rock band going through the motions, without any regard for pushing new territory. Although a great record could have resulted from trying the same old formula, I don't think it is possible for Velvet Revolver at the moment. Some of the songs have a raw/live type feel, but it seems staged... and I'm not sure if the band is comfortable playing together yet. Maybe the sophomore effort will have more to show, if they can manage to keep it together.

Aside from the singles thus far, I don't find the record to be redeeming at all. However, that could change with time. These are just initial impressions...

Last edited:
I listened to it briefly, and was disappointed. Overproduced (what the hell is this thing where you can't have a singer's voice miced naturally, instead it's always gotta be harmony or some other processing put on it?) unimaginative and quite frankly mediocre. And is it just me or does it sound like Weiland is trying to mimic Axl in a few songs? The only song that really shows promise is Slither, and that's already getting played to death on the local rock stations. I agree about the rawness feeling kind of staged, too.

I prefer Audioslave's freshman effort to this, and no way is this better than ATYCLB.

Last edited:
so has any one got the album yet.
oh the show was off the hook. i was right infront of slash(well there was this dude infront of me but still) the show was rocking.
ps half way through the set a women(groupie) was touching me , rubbing against me and stuff so she... ya you get the idea( so is this rock&roll or what) ah im such a rock star. i also saw her going back stage.:eyebrow:

back to the music this album is great......go get it!
you got no right is such a great balled!(best slash solo on the album)

Back
Top Bottom