I got the Sasser Worm Virus........Microsoft Sux - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2004, 01:21 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:12 PM
I got the Sasser Worm Virus........Microsoft Sux

Thats right, I got it on Thursday, I am now really considering selling my 3 month old laptop and getting a Mac...........since I have had this new computer, which runs on XP I have had two major viruses and I have it firewalled and I have McAfee virus protection- what more can one do??????

My old computer, which I had since 98 ran on 95 and I never once had virus protection on it and I was on the net constantly and I never once had any trouble, so what is happening with Microsoft???? and to make things worse when I was trying to get some help as to what to do with this new virus my ISP was saying that it was a Microsoft problem, then the wanker over the phone at Microsoft was saying that he couldn't help me cause it was a problem for my virus protection company to help me with and then McAffee were saying that it was definately a Microsoft problem, so I get back on the phone and just let it rip at how CRAP their products are and I told them that I am probably going to change to Mac..............so anyone else had trouble with this?????

Old 05-04-2004, 07:15 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:12 AM
I'm on Windows 98 so I hope I don't get it.

Is your virus protection on automatic update?

Old 05-04-2004, 08:14 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:12 AM
What virus is this? Is it the one that lets you go online but doesn't let you surf or connect to your messenger or check mails?

That's the one I have anyway. And the gobshites at Ciudad.com.ar ( my internet provider) told me that they couldn't do anything for the time being because this virus is very evry recent and Microsoft nor Norton have a solution to fix this situation.

So I'm screwed. I don't have Internet at home. Thank God for my computer at work
Old 05-04-2004, 08:59 AM   #4
MacPhisto's serving wench

ooh, i had that one too niamh, last week. I blew up my entire computer.

I just got it up and runnign again, installed norton, and the damn virual memory seems to be low (another virus?) so I can't view any of my photos. And apparently I HAVE no viruses.

I hate computers.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:17 AM   #5

okay, the lsass.exe thing just popped up.

Oz, apparently if you download the newest microsoft updates and then virus scan it should get rid of it.

I hate comptuers.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:07 AM   #6

yes, my third post in a row in this thread but...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...sser.worm.html

to check to see if you have the worm.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

to get rid of it.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:26 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing
okay, the lsass.exe thing just popped up.

Oz, apparently if you download the newest microsoft updates and then virus scan it should get rid of it.

I hate comptuers.
That's what killed my old computer a couple weeks ago

It's not the same name but it acted the same way, it popped up and attached itself without me clicking anything. I tried to click cancel but it froze up and when I rebooted it was already on there. When I did searches to get rid of it, it kept duplicating itself into default versions. When I kept deleting those, it attached itself to other stuff which messed up my computer when I deleted them

About buying a mac, well, anybody ever notice the macs never ever get viruses? Could it be the mac people trying to defeat Bill Gates the only way they have left, cyberterrorism? Don't think it's out of the question. I don't mean Steve Jobs himself, maybe not even someone who works there, but some people must have a hateful vendetta against Windows and all its users.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory but I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:43 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:12 PM
i downloaded this program :
http://download.nai.com/products/mca...rt/stinger.exe

then ran it....

and also installed this patch:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...32-x86-ENU.EXE

and my computers been running fine since sunday.....also i've turned my firewall on....

hope that helps those in need
Old 05-04-2004, 12:00 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:12 AM
don't you have to download an attachement from an e-mail in order to get the virus?
Old 05-04-2004, 12:22 PM   #10
New Yorker

Nope, I just read yesterday that just going to a web site that is infected can infect your pc.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:31 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

If you all had been diligent in downloading all your patches from "Windows Update," none of this would have happened. The patch for the exploit that this virus takes advantage of has been around for eight weeks.

Also, if you run your internet through an internet router, they have a built-in firewall that deflects all these attacks. Something to look into, even if you aren't sharing your connection to need a router.

Melon
Old 05-04-2004, 01:32 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
don't you have to download an attachement from an e-mail in order to get the virus?
For a virus, yes. But Sasser is a worm, so it does not reqire an affirmative action by a user.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:41 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I never clicked on anything to get my virus. A gray thing with the folder and paper flying showed up and I tried to cancel but like I said it froze up and well, I've told that here and in an old thread when it first happened so I won't again. But the thing is once I had problems my computer was so unable to function I could not get online to download anything and it just kept giving me errors and locking up no matter what I tried to do so it was too late

It literally attached itself like a parasite. I read one story that says this new one not only does that but that you don't even have to be using the computer for it to strike I've got ad aware downloaded and norton antivirus with this new one I hope it works.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:44 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
. I read one story that says this new one not only does that but that you don't even have to be using the computer for it to strike

You don't have to be actively browsing, just by being connected you can get it. I left work Friday, "locked" my computer, and when I came back on Monday my PC had the new sasser "worm." I hadn't logged off the network before I left on Friday. Thank goodness for our MIS department at work - they were able to fix everything
Old 05-04-2004, 05:50 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
If you all had been diligent in downloading all your patches from "Windows Update," none of this would have happened. The patch for the exploit that this virus takes advantage of has been around for eight weeks.
Thanks, Melon! People, PLEASE for the sake of people like me who spend their entire days fixing computers, remember ITS NOT YOUR ISP'S FAULT!!!! It's NOT Microsoft's fault! Microsoft routinely puts out security updates and patches. All you have to do is go to Start > Windows Update; folks, it doesn't get any easier than that! Part of owning a computer is keeping it secure and up-to-date. You need to check for Windows updates every few weeks and update your antivirus' definition files every week. It's like when you have a baby you have to keep taking it to the Dr. to have shots and chek-ups or it will get sick. I know viruses suck, but they are SO easy to prevent, it's not worth getting totally enraged and frusterated over. If you're using Adaware, Spybot, and any antivirus, they're good for nothing if you don't remember to update them. The need the right definition file or they will never detect the new viruses.