I Found a Treasure Trove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VintagePunk

Blue Crack Distributor
I pretty much only listen to the radio while in my car. Despite what I hear from many Americans, this area (sw Ontario) has several decent radio stations. I had this one on today, The Edge 102.1 out of Toronto. They were replaying a show in a series that they have. The series is called "The Ongoing History of New Music," and part of the reason I paid close attention to this one is because it featured Bono, and in the bit of it I heard, the host, program director Alan Cross, pulled out many bits of information that only the most rabid fans would know, and played a few rarities, like the Sinatra duet I've Got You Under My Skin, and In the Name of the Father. Pretty rare for commercial radio, right? I was particularly impressed at the way they'd done their research.

Yes, I have a point, and I'm getting to it. :wink:

Anyway, I arrived at my destination, and I had to go in, missing a good portion of the special. When I got home later, I looked online hoping that I could find it in some form, and much to my surprise, the radio station website makes available many of the shows in this series, featuring a wide variety of artists, genres, themes, etc. You can listen to them online here:

http://www.edge.ca/station/ongoing_history_of_new_music.cfm?recID=1&ell=8943&pge=1

The list of shows available to stream goes on for pages and pages. Check it out out. I was pleasantly surprised at the variety. Artists include Radiohead, Elvis Costello, The White Stripes, Bauhaus, Pearl Jam, and on and on and on. If they've been played in the last few decades, and have any significance to music, they're there. Check it out, and see what I mean.

Oh yes, Ongoing History. I've been addicted to that show for years. There was this 2 hour special on Joe Strummer after he passed away, mind you a few details weren't quite on the mark, but nice anecdotes. Alan Cross is one of the few on that station who's a genuine fan of music.

Edge 102.1 as a station on the other hand, plays dreadful music.

There was one glaring inaccurate detail about Bono I noticed, but the rest was spot on.

Ah yes, but dreadful music is relative. Not sure what area you're from, but around here, they're about the best. And certainly better than any ClearChannel station coming out of the US.

Last edited:
Yeah they're one of the better ones in Toronto. I don't usually listen to radio anyway, except for a few shows, Ongoing History included. So maybe I'm just a little biased. :wink:

I know what you mean. I'm far from an indie snob (very far), but very little that I hear on radio these days appeals to me. They're like the lesser of all evils, I guess. :)

Regardless, you should all check out this collection of shows - truly impressive!

they play this on sonic 102.9, which is the only station worth listening to around here, if you MUST listen to the radio.

the only thing is that they play it on sunday mornings, when me and like, everyone else is asleep.

i've caught it a few times and it's not too bad. they did a whole show on depeche mode once, and one on the history of CBGB's, which was pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom