i don't think i want to chew ice any more...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
or even get it in my drink :barf:

anyone who knows me knows i love to chew ice...i may have to break that habbit :sigh:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=consumer&id=3925577

Fast-food ice dirtier than toilet water

February 20, 2006 - Jasmine Roberts never expected her award-winning middle school science project to get so much attention. But the project produced some disturbing results: 70 percent of the time, ice from fast food restaurants was dirtier than toilet water.
The 12-year-old collected ice samples from five restaurants in South Florida -- from both self-serve machines inside the restaurant and from drive-thru windows. She then collected toilet water samples from the same restaurants and tested all of them for bacteria at the University of South Florida.

In several cases, the ice tested positive for E. coli bacteria, which comes from human waste and has been linked to several illness outbreaks across the country.

"These [bacteria] don't belong there," said Dr. David Katz, medical contributor to "Good Morning America." "It's not cause for panic, although it is alarming because what she found is nothing new. You're not more likely to get sick now. But she's done us a favor by sounding the alarm."

Both Roberts and Katz said that the ice is likely dirtier because machines aren't cleaned and people use unwashed hands to scoop ice. Toilet water is also surprisingly bacteria-free, because it comes from sanitized city water supplies.

Support from Big Brother

Roberts got interested in the project after reading a newspaper article about bacteria in airplane water and decided to do something similar. Plus, she said, all of her friends chew on ice, and it drives her crazy.

"I just picked the not-obvious choice," the seventh grader said of her project.

Her 18-year-old brother, Justus, is also an award-winning science fair veteran who said he has encouraged his little sister's interest in science.

Justus said when Jasmine told him her idea for this project, "I gave her a high five, then said, 'You're a strange little kid.' But I supported her all the way."

The restaurants also have taken notice of Roberts' project. Two began new sanitary polices and have asked her to come back and do her tests again.

"First they appreciated the project," she said. "And one location even asked me to come back and test the temperature of their food."

If its in the ice in these South Florida fast food places ABEL, you better believe it is in the food too.

If I were you, I would protest eating. Period. You just might end up dead with e.coli poisoning...or you may even CHOKE!

Angela Harlem said:
a desire to chew ice is meant to indicate some health problem. cant recall what it is, sorry abel :lol:

/not relevant

it's anemia, and i am border-line anemic

Great project!!! Yuck--but not surprising!
I'm curious to know what the health scores are for those 5 restaurants.
Having worked in several restaurants and a few bars, i've seen what health inspectors look for. Ice machines, ice scoops (how and where they are stored), ice bins are all checked. You'd be amazed at how nasty these can become if not properly cleaned and maintained.
What really gets me about this story is the fact that one place asked her to "come back and test the temperature of their food."
That restaurant is either: 1)being sarcastic, or 2) not being properly inspected---seeing how health inspectors are supposed to be doing that anyway.

Angela Harlem said:
a desire to chew ice is meant to indicate some health problem. cant recall what it is, sorry abel :lol:

/not relevant

Are you thinking what I'm thinking

I'm not surprised by the findings. Many of the ice dispensers are hand filled - by the bucket.

I doubt the buckets or dispensers are scrubbed daily.

Sick! I'm glad I never put ice in my drink, or request no ice since the soda is cold without ice and ice just waters it down and takes up all the room anyway.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
ah and here I thought chewing ice meant lack of action in the sack. :wink:

Thats what I thought too....I read the title of the thread and thought, "Guess ABEL isn't getting laid".

Or something.

what?

I'm Ready said:
that is disgusting

good thing I don't eat fast food

Same here:up: If I do order pizza, it is just the pizza and no drink. I will have tea or lemonade instead.

If it didn't kill you before, it's not going to kill you now. In fact, our immune system is configured to have a certain level of parasitic infections. Since we live in such a sanitized world now, however, that part of our immune system is now creating allergies.

Melon

melon said:
If it didn't kill you before, it's not going to kill you now. In fact, our immune system is configured to have a certain level of parasitic infections. Since we live in such a sanitized world now, however, that part of our immune system is now creating allergies.

Melon

Yes, I concur. :nerd:

Well, my Coke-drinking fun at Subway is forever changed...I love crunching those little ice cubes.

Cute story, however. I really like this part: "I gave her a high five, then said, 'You're a strange little kid.' But I supported her all the way."

:lol:

I use filtered water to make ice at home. It tastes better than using my tap water. I don't like really cold drinks anyway. I'm happy drinking juice, soda or water from a can or bottle. Then there's not the ice problem. :wink:

I used to compulsively eat ice. We found out that it was because I was anemic. I started taking iron and stopped eating the ice.

Carek1230 said:
I use filtered water to make ice at home. It tastes better than using my tap water. I don't like really cold drinks anyway. I'm happy drinking juice, soda or water from a can or bottle. Then there's not the ice problem. :wink:

Same here, I like my tea and lemonade cool out the bottle:p
*runs to soda machine*

Back
Top Bottom