I don't get it...... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2002, 05:17 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 01:00 PM
I don't get it......

Ok, since there is a Radiohead forum here now I've got a question about them I've been mulling around in my head for a while.

The music, the melodies and sound of Radiohead, Thom's voice and everything is beautiful, but, what is it all about? What do the lyrics mean and all the little pictures, the bear with the sharp teeth and the crying minotaur and all? It all suggests a deeper meaning, it's very cryptic and interesting and I am wondering what Radiohead's motivation behind all of it is; what is the message? What are they trying to say?

Old 01-08-2002, 05:24 PM   #2
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:00 PM
interesting post

I would also like to know
especially since I usually only like their songs the first couple of times I hear them

maybe this could help me a bit

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 01-08-2002).]

Old 01-08-2002, 05:35 PM   #3
New Yorker

whoever has a clue better come up with something clever... this is your chance to open Salome's eyes to the wonderful world of Radiohead bliss

babble when I figure it out I'll let you know! I just assumed the artwork was to provide Interference with a nice little deathbear friendly landscape... j/k

------------------
"bebes with bourbon are more dangerous than sicillians with shotguns" ~old aussie proverb
Old 01-08-2002, 05:40 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:00 PM
deathbear and Wanderer where are you!!??!1

They would know.

Old 01-08-2002, 06:56 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Well, I am sure that deathbear and Wanderer could tell you more about the meaning behind radiohead than I can, but I would like to tell you my interpretation of the bear thing. I might be wrong, I dunno.

Scientists genetically modified the bears. They even modified polar bears to love the sunshine so that the effects of global warming wouldn't bother them. But the plan backfired when the deathbears began eating people. The modified bears were smart and were able to organize themselves against the humans. It's your basic science vs. nature type of thing.

There is a comic by Stanley Donwood that would help to explain what I mean and I will be posting it later. The last time I posted it the thread it was in broke.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes
Old 01-08-2002, 09:04 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:00 AM
Here's my perspective on Radiohead: what they're about (musically) is to try and find some sort of emotional space that is honest. A spot of peace (and even love, perhaps) in the midst of the white noise. In that context, I think even a lot of their 'gibberish' lyrics make a kind of intuitive sense.

Now of course they are a very successful band. They're signed to a major label and they sell a lot of records. Therefore some cynical folk may say, how dare Radiohead bite the hand that feeds them? Well I say, if they can get away with it, go for it.

------------------
"Once again
I'm in trouble with my old friend
She is papering the windowpanes
She is putting on a smile
Living in a glasshouse..."
Old 01-08-2002, 09:07 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The bears, though: that I cannot explain. The genetic-modification angle seems plausible enough, though.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:54 PM   #8
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
deathbear and Wanderer where are you!!??!1

They would know.

mmm, it seems no one has a clue

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 01-09-2002, 02:45 PM   #9
h o l y d u n c s p a c e j u n k

I'm going to

DELETE

you from this forum.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:19 PM   #10
New Yorker

well, I'm with Salome... Surely nobody knows more about a deathbear than the deathbear itself... right?

Perhaps the deathbear is in hibernation?? Well atleast we're learning about their habitats

Old 01-09-2002, 04:36 PM   #11
The Fly

Thanks Calluna and Kieran for the input. I still don't understand though. There seems to be a big concept (aren't Kid A and Amnesiac supposed to be concept albums?) and I'm not sure what that concept is and how the bears (or the minotaurs) fit in, even with your explanation Calluna. There don't seem to be any articles where Radiohead speaks about it either. If anyone could point me to one online somewhere I would appreciate it.

Kieran, I think I follow your theory on the music, the sound of Radiohead, but I don't quite follow how all the lyrics and pictures and all fit into what you were saying; "to try and find some sort of emotional space that is honest."

Any more thoughts anyone,please!

Old 01-09-2002, 07:03 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

*from a press release issued by a spokesperson on behalf of deathbear:

"deathbear is currently unable to answer this brilliant question, but will indeed provide his knowledge to the subject sometime shortly. it is reasonable to believe he may chose to do so, sometime today."

------------------
-death bear
Old 01-09-2002, 10:14 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Okay...I didn't know until now that the deathbear and the crying minotaur had anything to do with Radiohead.

I guess I'm just not very knowledgeable.

What album are those pieces of artwork found in? If someone says The Bends, I will feel really stupid because that's the only Radiohead album I have.

I could just go check...

------------------
Your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
Dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone

-Crowded House
Old 01-09-2002, 10:18 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

They're from Kid A and Amnesiac I believe.

Old 01-09-2002, 11:18 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by babble:
Thanks Calluna and Kieran for the input. I still don't understand though. There seems to be a big concept (aren't Kid A and Amnesiac supposed to be concept albums?) and I'm not sure what that concept is and how the bears (or the minotaurs) fit in, even with your explanation Calluna. There don't seem to be any articles where Radiohead speaks about it either. If anyone could point me to one online somewhere I would appreciate it.

Kieran, I think I follow your theory on the music, the sound of Radiohead, but I don't quite follow how all the lyrics and pictures and all fit into what you were saying; "to try and find some sort of emotional space that is honest."

Any more thoughts anyone,please!

Alright, I was talking out of my arse to some extent (though believe me, I meant what I said). I guess all the lyrics/imagery, for me, tie together in the sense that it's just the whole vibe of the thing. Examples:

OK Computer: man vs. soulless consumerist society - the artwork here is so sarcastic, full of excerpts from (maybe) fictional 'motivational' literature, images that look like they've come out of some 1960's brochure about how the world is really getting better for us all, etc etc.

KID A/Amnesiac - On these latest two records, I don't really think the lyrics are the point in themselves, but together with the music and the artwork, the vibe I get is of a man disgusted with what is peddled as 'truth' - you know, progress is great, the government has our best interests at heart, blah blah. Some pretty sharp digs at Tony Blair & co. in the Kid A booklet especially...

Again, this doesn't explain the bears, but hopefully gives some sense of where I'm coming from. I don't think it's something that can be analysed point by point, but I could try someday if need be.

------------------
"I may go crazy
before that mansion on the hill
but my heart keeps beating faster
and my feet can't keep still..."

Tags
radiohead