i demand that you begin using the queen's english

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dulce de Leche said:
Having moved here I am seeing words like 'colour', 'neighbour' and 'recognise' so much that sometimes I even find myself using UK/Oz spelling over American...:huh:
It's called 'proper' spelling

Dulce de Leche said:
I even find myself using UK/Oz spelling over American...:huh:

UK/Oz...and Canadian and NZ!:)

This thread got me thinking on a great book that I own on the history of English. It gives some of the reasons why we pronounce words the way we do, it's called The Story of English. If you're interested in this sort of thing I would really recommend buying it. It touches all the English countries but it's great to get a decent perspective on the Canadian accent(and it's stereotypical "oat and a boat"), which always seems to get overshadowed by it's large neighbour to the south.

http://www.amazon.com/Story-English...8650862?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194380293&sr=8-1

Dulce de Leche said:
Having moved here I am seeing words like 'colour', 'neighbour' and 'recognise' so much that sometimes I even find myself using UK/Oz spelling over American...:huh:

UK/CANADA

don't forget canada.

or british north america, as i like to call it. canada's not ready for it's own nationality yet.

Once I met a guy at a party and he decided that he really liked me and tried to woo me with such elegant, romantic text messages as "i cnt stop thnkn abt u" and "is it rng tht i wnt u in my arms rite now?"

yes. it's rng. very rng.

also i LOVE spelling things the British way!! it's my favourite way of spelling. Except for z's. I like z's. They don't use enough.

AtomicBono said:
Once I met a guy at a party and he decided that he really liked me and tried to woo me with such elegant, romantic text messages as "i cnt stop thnkn abt u" and "is it rng tht i wnt u in my arms rite now?"

yes. it's rng. very rng.

iz 1t hot n herr 0r iz 1t jus u? :combust:

Back
Top Bottom