I bought a birthday gift AND contributed to a good cause

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BluRmGrl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I bought a birthday gift AND contributed to a good cause - I hope

Went to the bookstore this evening to pick out a good read for my best friend's birthday this weekend. Ended up with two books: Girls' Night In (published Sept. 2004) and Girls' Night Out (published June 2006). Here's the cool thing - the net proceeds from both books are going to something called "War Child".

According the the description given:
" 'War Child' was created in response to 1993 headlines that first reported the ethnic cleansing taking place in Bosnia and the former Yugoslavia."

" 'War Child' is an international relief and development agency, dedicated to providing immediate, effective and sustainable aid to some of the most vulnerable children caught up in conflict around the world."

" 'War Child' tries to speak directly to the experiences of children of war by offering them tangible hope and the possibility of recovering their lives." (Website: www.warchildusa.org)

In addition, Girls' Night Out proceeds will be assisting 'No Strings' -"Created by Muppet designer and producer Michael Frith, along with his wife Kathryn Mullen, to teach children affected by war about the dangers of unexploded land mines using live puppetry and video. With help from some of the world's best-known aid agencies - including War Child, GOAL and HAAD." (Website: www.nostrings.org.uk)

And finally, it is mentioned that money from the sales of Girls' Night Out will also be used to fund HIV awareness videos for Africa.

Has anyone else heard of these organizations? (I thought I heard War Child mentioned here in Interference a year or so ago, but I don't remember anything about the conversation.) Do you think I've contributed to a worthy cause or have I been hoodwinked by shysters who've tugged at my heartstrings?

Last edited:
Re: I bought a birthday gift AND contributed to a good cause - I hope

BluRmGrl said:
Went to the bookstore this evening to pick out a good read for my best friend's birthday this weekend. Ended up with two books: Girls' Night In (published Sept. 2004) and Girls' Night Out (published June 2006). Here's the cool thing - the net proceeds from both books are going to something called "War Child".

According the the description given:
" 'War Child' was created in response to 1993 headlines that first reported the ethnic cleansing taking place in Bosnia and the former Yugoslavia."

" 'War Child' is an international relief and development agency, dedicated to providing immediate, effective and sustainable aid to some of the most vulnerable children caught up in conflict around the world."

" 'War Child' tries to speak directly to the experiences of children of war by offering them tangible hope and the possibility of recovering their lives." (Website: www.warchildusa.org)

In addition, Girls' Night Out proceeds will be assisting 'No Strings' -"Created by Muppet designer and producer Michael Frith, along with his wife Kathryn Mullen, to teach children affected by war about the dangers of unexploded land mines using live puppetry and video. With help from some of the world's best-known aid agencies - including War Child, GOAL and HAAD." (Website: www.nostrings.org.uk)

And finally, it is mentioned that money from the sales of Girls' Night Out will also be used to fund HIV awareness videos for Africa.

Has anyone else heard of these organizations? (I thought I heard War Child mentioned here in Interference a year or so ago, but I don't remember anything about the conversation.) Do you think I've contributed to a worthy cause or have I been hoodwinked by shysters who've tugged at my heartstrings?

I am sure your money has been well spent by the charities mentioned and I don't think you have been hoodwinked and you probably would have bought the books anyway with the cash going to the publishers/author.

Good on you it is always a good thing to raise awareness of good causes.

:up:

I thought it was going to be one of those square meters of land in Australia that goes to an enviro protection fund or something.

Everything seems legit to me. Whenever I am able to make a purchase of something I want where money would otherwise go to an average seller or retailer but there's an option for the money spent to go to charity that's the avenue I take. Good move on your part. :up:

Back
Top Bottom