I bet no-one replies to this post...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
.. because I started it. Anyhow, here's the score.

Name three artists who aren't so big (worldwide) at the moment, but you think could be massive in three years time.

Likewise, name three artists who are pretty big now, but will see their star wane come this time 2005.

Try and avoid boybands and the like because they have a limited shelf-life anyway. Here's my attempt...

Going up
Christina Milian - world domination beckons methinks. She's pretty and she writes her own tunes
Coldplay - we all know about them, but the planet is on the brink of being their oyster
Doves - is America ready for them?

Going down
Jennifer Lopez - she's running out of R'n'B acts to record with... and that ass isn't going to hold forever, alas!
Limp Bizkit - wot no Wes? adidasnusportymetal is on the wane
Destiny's Child - controversial, yes. But with Beyonce going solo they could become the new Fugees (ie "we might get together again to record an album 10 years later etc)

UP...
Doves
Elbow
NOrah Jones

Down....(hoping...)
Brittney Spears
N*stink
?????? Too many to list....

mmm interesting topic

I am somehow compelled to reply ;)

Up:
The Hives (although they might just be a passing fad, their music is good)
Coldplay (I think it will be a slow rise for them)
Vanessa Carlton (She's kinda poppy right now, but she has some real talent)

Down:
Nickelback (*cough*remember*placenameof80shairbandhere**cough)
Creed (*cough*theysuckandscottieisevil*cough*)
Eminem (*cough* remembermarilynmanson*cough*)

Coldplay for sure. They already have a cult following as it is!!

U2 and Radiohead are going down the tubes...

Up
Norah Jones (good choice Ali :))
Coldplay
Doves

Down
Creed (will be a gradual - aka much too long burnout, I think)
Britney Aguilera :D
Limp Bizkit

The only way is up...

Stereophonics seem to be going that way
P.O.D. at least in Australia and the States
Linkin Park

let me take you dooown, cos im going to...

Enrique Eglasias
Anastasia
Pink

brettig said:
The only way is up...

P.O.D. at least in Australia and the States

I'd have to disagree with P.O.D.'s ascension in the States.

I don't know of *anyone* over the age of 17 who likes them or pays attention to them.

I truly think that kind of music is on the way down.

UP:

- Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch etc. I don't really like them much but I see them rising fast. Of course there's also the possiblity of being one hit wonders but I don't see that.
- Guitar bands in general, there's an upsurge of 'return to rock' bands recently.
- Gemma Hayes. I don't know whether to lump her with the Michelle Branch crowd but she's got some good music on her hands, despite an awful lyric here and there.

DOWN:

- Kylie Minogue (in the USA). I like her music (Can't Get was probably the catchiest (some say most irritating) single of 2001) but I think she's sadly relegated to two-hit wonder status in America.
- REM. Bill Berry leaving seems to have left them in the cold in terms of public appreciation.
- Linkin Park. A remix album for your second album? To me that reads 'I'm out of songs to write but let's release something and make money anyway'.

Up:
Rock/guitar bands.
Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, etc. Not that I'm happy about this or anything. :madspit:
Coldplay. I haven't heard a lot of them but I hear they're good.

Down:
Britney, Christina, etc.
Creed
Limp Bizkit, etc

Movin On Up...

Coldplay-Yep yep cool band.
Dropkick Murphys -Very cool punk band that needs more attention.
The Strokes-Nuff said.

Goin Down...

Limp Bizkit-Freddy can give it up doing it for the Nookie.
Kid Rock-His 15 min of fame is over.
Creed-I'm sorry but they suck.

Last edited:
Up

Coldplay (although they are already big in most places now)

The Doves

Radiohead (a return to past mainstreamish greatness with a amaxing new album)

Down

Limb Bizkit (I think most of us are getting over that scene now)

Nickleback (*yawn)

Powderfinger (australia: they need to do something new sounding im afraid or they will drop out soon)

Interesting topic.
I agree with you brettig that POD are at least on the way up here. Maybe they are getting a lot of airplay in America which can lead people to be sick of them. I think we at least will support them for a bit longer if they continue as they are.
Kylie Minogue I also dont agree with that she is going down. As long as she makes music she will sell out Asia, the UK and here. She really has longevity whether we like her or not. She kind of appeals to a certain market anyway, and its not necessarily teens.
Another I'm not sure of is all the female solo artists mentioned. I'm not purposely disagreeing here to be an ass either lol. But I've always thought it is rare to see a female vocalist last long. There are the exceptions, but they tend to be a bit different. Madonna liked to shock everyone, Janet Jackson ..um I'm not sure why, but she lasted, Mariah Carey....well the girl at least has an absolutely amazing voice. Irritating songs yes, but she hit the top when there was not much competition in the way of quality voices. There are others, but most just come, hang around for a bit, then fade away. A lot have come on the scene and can sing, or they can write, or they can play an instrument. But I have always felt that female soloists get a bit of a raw deal as far as longevity goes.
Creed I think will do a Matchbox20 and just disappear one day. Not too long to wait I dont think. I dont really mind them, but I cant see them staying much longer.
Interesting call on Pink too, brett. I think I agree.

maybe the "try and avoid boybands and the like as they have a short shelf-life" comment wasn't quite as explicit as it could have been

Up

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: Well, their debut album is pretty feckin decent! And seeing em live at the weekend, apparently they rock.

The Frames: Hopefully anyway, classy Irish band, playing the main stage at Witnness this year, on the way up here anyway:p

The Parkinsons: I dunno either, from Portugal I think, hearing they are the "next big thing".

Down

Limp Bizkit: We can only hope

Crazytown: Thankfully the horrible Butterfly, sugar, baby, shite spouting wasters won't come back

The Prodigy: Well, hopefully not, but I fear it could be the end. Will the new album be a success?? I haven't even heard the new song! They nearly didn't even make this song. Headlining the Witnness festivel at the weekend so not really going down at the mo, can't wait to see em live, but a "I hope not" tip for the exit door

Back
Top Bottom