I am going to learn to drive this summer...what kind of car should I get? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2003, 09:35 AM   #1
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 06:19 PM
I am going to learn to drive this summer...what kind of car should I get?

I have decided that the joke is over, I really need to learn to drive. Even though I will still take public transit to work, it's getting crazy depending on other people to shuttle us to extra curricular activities, so we need a car. I will also need a car to practise on.

Should I learn standard or automatic?

What is the best kind of used car we could get and why? Please answer in english, not all that V6 car type language that a newbie like me wouldn't get.

Thank you!

Old 04-01-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Cool Jess! I miss my car...

Well, I will probably be the only one to say this... but learn to drive a standard. Automatics are useless. Standards are better on gas... cheaper to buy... and you'll find they are waaaay more manouverable in the snow and ice. Plus... if you find yourself renting a car in Europe sometime, you'll see that 99% of your choices will be offered to you in 5-speed stick shift.
After all that is said and done, if those reasons do not sway you, then get a standard cause you look cooler. Vrooom vrooom!

As for what type of car? I dunno. It all depends on your budget and what you are looking for in a vehicle. I had a brand new Dodge Neon for three years and loved it. Great on gas, super ass power for a little V4 and 150 HP. I am sure others here will knock it, but.... I would stick to NA vehicles. Cheaper to repair.

Just my two bits.

I can't believe you don't know how to drive.

Old 04-01-2003, 09:45 AM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Get an H2 and just run over people
Old 04-01-2003, 10:01 AM   #4
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
Get an H2 and just run over people
I was thinking get a mini cooper and watch out for people in H2s running you over !!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:04 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

you spy car's a mini?

it's not the size son, it's how you use it

Old 04-01-2003, 10:05 AM   #6
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:19 AM
People tend to not agree on whether its best to learn on a manual or automatic. On one hand, once you learn in a manual, you can pretty much drive anything. On the other, once you learn in an automatic and become comfortable with that, you can progress up to a manual transmission. The difference between the 2 is minimal, but to a learner who is not at all familiar with all aspects of driving, it might be better to start in an auto. If you're confident, or have driven before, even without a licence, I'd suggest the manual. There's more advantage to driving manual. You wont have to worry about transmission when you buy a new car, and you have the freedom to use other people's (if you and your friends/family do that kind of thing) plus you get learning it out of the way. I have friends who have only driven auto's and are excellent drivers, but are scared stiff of getting behind a manual.

As for cars, you have different models to over here. But a good tip, is try to buy a model that is still in production, and is fairly common. If its discontinued, it can be a good indication that the model was a lemon. Try and avoid anything more than 10 years old. Chances of finding one in mechanical A-1 condition after this length of time narrows your search immensely. Don't believe a word the salesperson tells you. Just nod and smile and then get your mechanic to have a look over it for you. Its worth the hassle. Look for superficial things like discolouration in the paintwork, as that can mean panels might have been replaced and might have been in an accident at one stage. I'd never knowingly buy a car that has been in an accident as it weakens the body too much, and God forbid if you find yourself in a prang and you could be in trouble. Try if you can, to avoid a car that has any crack or chip in the windscreen, especially the spider cracks as the windshield believe it or not is one of the strongest parts of a car. You dont want a damaged one! Try and ignore the salesperson. Turn the radio off and listen for any unusual sounds. Rev the engine to listen for rattles, labouring or clinking. Dont trust what they tell you it is, as nobody trades in their own car and is honest with the salesperson about all its faults! The salesperson is not likely to know what is wrong. Test the brakes as best you can. That means slamming them on on your test drive. You would hate to buy one only to find you need not only new pads but new rotors as well. Basically, if the car doesn't feel smooth to drive, let it go. If you get told its just wear and tear due to its age, dont buy that excuse. You can always find a better car somewhere else.
Determine what you expect form a car. If safety is your key, I'd go for a larger one. I personally dont like small cars, I dont feel as safe in them. Larger engines are usually stronger engines. They are made to last. If you plan not to do a lot of driving, a larger engine still shouldn't deter you as you aren't going to need to fill up as often. The average lifespan of a 6 cyl and higher should be 500,000-700,000 kms. Not sure what that is in miles, and I know you didn't want engine specs, but it might be worth looking into!

Sorry if I've raved on with crap you already knew or weren't even asking lol. But I hope some of it might help!

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:12 AM   #7
Elvis' Naughty Angel

damn! Angela... You know cars...

*Feels dumb.

Vroom vroom lol
Old 04-01-2003, 10:23 AM   #8
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:19 AM
hell no Angel! Your reply was more useful! I just HATE carsalesmen

Old 04-01-2003, 11:46 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
If you're confident, or have driven before, even without a licence, I'd suggest the manual. There's more advantage to driving manual. You wont have to worry about transmission when you buy a new car, and you have the freedom to use other people's (if you and your friends/family do that kind of thing) plus you get learning it out of the way. I have friends who have only driven auto's and are excellent drivers, but are scared stiff of getting behind a manual.
I agree. Manual would be a good thing to know, but if you have no driving experience I'd say learn automatic first. When I took driver's ed we got to drive a manual car for one day, but I was so inexperienced that I got all flustered and had a horrible time driving. I think I stalled at a stop sign about 20 times in a row! My teacher had to keep on waving cars past- I was so embarassed. But anyway, I think knowing how to drive manual would be helpful (I wish I knew how), but start off with automatic if you're just beginning to drive.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:13 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

It's definitely easier to learn on an automatic if you're driving for the first time. The point is pretty much to stay on the road, you can worry about changing gears later, when you're used to driving speeds, making nice (not too tight, not too wide) turns, parking and so on.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:26 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

females shouldn't be driving anyway

*ducks*
Old 04-01-2003, 12:33 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

ducks...
Old 04-01-2003, 01:27 PM   #13
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel
Great on gas, super ass power for a little V4 and 150 HP.
I can't believe you don't know how to drive.
eeeek! Jargon! What does that mean?!?!?

I can't believe I don't know how to drive either.

Wow, Angela, thank you for writing all that! Thanks everyone for your feedback so far!

The only thing I have just though of, is that Steve can only drive an automatic, and has no desire to learn standard. Is it possible for me to learn both at once (ie classes on the standard, own an automatic)?
Old 04-01-2003, 01:42 PM   #14
Elvis' Naughty Angel

In that case... learn to drive an automatic and buy an automatic.... or better yet... learn to drive a standard and buy a standard and then Steve can't use the car until he learns. But then you'll be stuck being the designated driver all the time

Oh, and don't let my jargon fool you. I don't know much about cars. lol
Old 04-01-2003, 04:31 PM   #15
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:19 PM
I started out learning automatic, and it only took me a few short lessons with my brother before I got the hang of manual. I bought my current car (manual) after having only 3 lessons on a stick, but once you start driving a stick exclusively it becomes second nature quickly.