I am fuming- the ads will stop at nothing!!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2004, 11:51 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,542
Local Time: 06:18 PM
Tabs rule!
As does the pop-up blocker.
And the script to hide/block advert images.



Marty (only sees the AWF banner, scrolling newsbar and PayPal/Amazon links at the top of this page)
__________________

__________________
Popmartijn is offline  
Old 05-13-2004, 11:59 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Thanks I'll get that too!

Y'all rock!
__________________

__________________
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 05-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Some tips from the local computer technician:

Use FireFox !!!!

Run adaware or spybot once a week but remember you gotta update it

Get an antivirus like Symantec/Norton that offers filesystem realtime scan

Run Windows updates

Get a pop-up blocker (but make sure the one you get isn't adware itself!)

I'm curious you got ads for fastweb.... the fastweb I belong to is a really great service. You enter lots of info about yourself and it compiles your own personal database of scholarships you're eligible for. Then it e-mails you when a new one is posted or when a dealine is approaching. Maybe the fastweb ad you got was something different....
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 05-13-2004, 01:08 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Mullen-Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Antonio/Austin, TX
Posts: 4,951
Local Time: 12:18 PM
I just got a new computer yesterday here at work and the guy installed popup blockers from google and I have never been happier
__________________
Mullen-Girl is offline  
Old 05-13-2004, 01:10 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Mullen-Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Antonio/Austin, TX
Posts: 4,951
Local Time: 12:18 PM
BTW he installed Firefox and I had no clue what it was either lmao
__________________
Mullen-Girl is offline  
Old 05-13-2004, 01:52 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Get a pop-up blocker (but make sure the one you get isn't adware itself!)
Thanks! I'm doing/will do all those things but I don't want the pop up blocker because then when I click on a link for something it won't work


Quote:
I'm curious you got ads for fastweb.... the fastweb I belong to is a really great service. You enter lots of info about yourself and it compiles your own personal database of scholarships you're eligible for. Then it e-mails you when a new one is posted or when a dealine is approaching. Maybe the fastweb ad you got was something different....
Oh, that explains it then. My nephew was over here last night and asked if he could use the computer. I know he's been trying to find a way to pay for college with no money and not so good grades so he must've picked it up in his surfing. It was mostly 'get money for college' ads that kept popping up, but it was still a hotbar. I guess maybe somehow hotbar got attached to it.
__________________
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 05-13-2004, 03:29 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
oliveu2cm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Live from Boston
Posts: 8,334
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

Oh, that explains it then. My nephew was over here last night and asked if he could use the computer. I know he's been trying to find a way to pay for college with no money and not so good grades so he must've picked it up in his surfing. It was mostly 'get money for college' ads that kept popping up, but it was still a hotbar. I guess maybe somehow hotbar got attached to it.
What happens with spyware is it can read the search criteria or content of websites people are looking at. Therefore if he searched for "college scholarships" Hotbar detected those key words and then displayed ads thru internet explorer - free marketing for them.

It's so annoying.. when I noticed this happening w/ me I realized I had spyware too. Gotta stay on top of it.
__________________
oliveu2cm is offline  
Old 05-13-2004, 08:35 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm

What happens with spyware is it can read the search criteria or content of websites people are looking at. Therefore if he searched for "college scholarships" Hotbar detected those key words and then displayed ads thru internet explorer - free marketing for them.
Exactly. It was probably Hotbar and not Fastweb. Fastweb is credible and a great resource. Tell your nephew he should setup an account there if he hasn't already
__________________

__________________
Liesje is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com