I am desperate for computer help please... my system is fried.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel

Elvis' Naughty Angel
Hey all. :der: My computer is f*cked. I need :help:

Here's the problem: When browsing on the internet, my system just freezes up. I can load up web pages ok, but once in them I can't do squat. It takes a second for my cursor to turn into the hand in order to click on a link. I can't page up or page down without it freezing up and taking forever. :|

My computer has little ram and has small hard drives, but I haven't downloaded anything or changed anything in the last two days to make a difference in my browsing.? My computer used to run perfectly fine and fast when on the internet, just two short days ago. I did a modem test and this is what it said:
?
a) Download Speed = 3592 kbps
b) Upload Speed = 449 kbps
?
The download speed is good eh?? But is the upload speed what's wrong maybe?? Should it be faster??Or would that make a difference when browsing internet pages?? The internet is completely unusable.? Again, I can go from page to page with relative ease, but can't seem to do anything in the pages.? It just freezes up.? :huh:? I am going insane.

I don't know what to do.? Could it be a virus?? :slant:? The really weird thing is my computer (outside of the internet) runs perfectly.? No problems at all.? Plays music fine, uses MSN messenger fine, everything is fine.?
?
Heres my hard drive details.? (Paltry, but nothing new)
?
C: drive = Total size 1.19 GB? (Free space = 245 MB)
D: drive = Total size 2.00 GB? (Free space = 619 MB)
?
32.0 MB of Ram -->? 80% free?

This is what I have done to help fix the problem, but nothing has worked:

1. Freed up space on hard drive
2. Cleared Cookies and deleted temp files
3. Defragmented both hard drives
4. Reinstalled/updated Internet Explorer? (from 5.0 to 5.01)? :|
5. Re-directed my virtual memory to use to "D" drive ( the larger drive with more free memory )

:banghead: :scream:

Please someone, H E L P ...........

Last edited:
melon will be on his way shortly...:wink:

it looks to me like youve done all i would have done, i cant really suggest anything.

good luck!

...and again, wait for melon...:sexywink:

LOL...here I am. :sexywink:

What Windows version is it? I can only guess it is part of the Windows 9x family.

The reality? In all likelihood, Windows corrupted itself, and the best I can tell you is to back up all of your irreplaceable documents, and reformat / reinstall everything on your computer.

What I would suggest to you, if you can afford it, is to make a minor enhancement to up your RAM. 32 MB is not nearly enough nowadays. I would suggest a minimum of 128 MB, if not 256 MB or 512 MB. Luckily, the type of RAM that you need is probably dirt cheap. Then, I would suggest purchasing Windows 2000, which is immensely stable--ask Sicy. ;)

Overall, I wish I could give you an easy answer to this, but there isn't. Ideally, if you can afford it, I would get a whole new system, since I'm guessing yours is aging. The stability of a higher-end processor (~2 GHz) is staggering, and Windows XP is faster and more stable than Windows 2000 (Windows 2000 will work very well on Pentium IIs even, while XP is optimized for higher-end systems).

At bare minimum, however, if you don't wish to make any upgrades, just back up your important documents (since you have 2 drives, put it all on your second hard drive), reformat your system drive, and reinstall your Windows version. I wish it could be easier than this...but Windows 9x is trash, and this is the only way to clean up the mess.

Melon

:( thx melon

I am running Windows 98. So I need to reformat. :crack: I don't know how to do any of this stuff. *Feels stupid. My brother used to do all that for me, and he moved away. :|
So you really think it's Windows? How come everything else would run just fine? It's just the internet? :crazy:

I can't afford to buy a new computer. :scream:

Angel said:
:( thx melon

I am running Windows 98. So I need to reformat. :crack: I don't know how to do any of this stuff. *Feels stupid. My brother used to do all that for me, and he moved away. :|
So you really think it's Windows? How come everything else would run just fine? It's just the internet? :crazy:

I can't afford to buy a new computer. :scream:

In this case, it is just the internet. In other cases, anything could end up corrupted.

To format it, get out your Windows 98 startup disk or make one. Boot from it. At the DOS prompt, type "format c: /s" (no quotes). Now make SURE that all of your important documents have been backed up, because, once it is formatted, everything on C: will be ERASED. After that, put in your Windows 98 CD and restart the computer. You should be able to boot from the CD, and it will start installing Windows again.

However, it may not go as simple as that, so I would possibly suggest locating someone who can help you with this in person or, at least, have access to another internet-capable computer so I can help you with the problems.

Melon

:slant: I don't have a Windows 98 start-up disc. This is a machine my brother built for me. I appreciate your help.

Angel said:
:slant: I don't have a Windows 98 start-up disc. This is a machine my brother built for me. I appreciate your help.

It's easy to make a start-up disk. Get a blank "A: drive" disk (usually a 3.5" disk). Put it in the computer, and go to Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs. Then click on the "Startup Disk" panel and go from there.

Do you have the Windows 98 installation CD?

Melon

Sicy said:
Your brother needs to get his ass back here to help you then.
Yeah, but that's so not going to happen. I can barely keep him on the phone for more than 5 min. :huh:

Angel said:

lol...then you can't do much right now.

Make sure you delete all the TEMP files (c:\windows\temp). That might get things working a bit better.

Melon

melon said:
Make sure you delete all the TEMP files (c:\windows\temp). That might get things working a bit better.

Melon
:up: did that. And it didn't help. :down:

Someone else told me to free up the C drive so that there is at least 350 MB free space and to redirect my virtual memory to C again. I will try that this afternoon.
Otherwise... I think my dad might have Windows 98 at work and perhaps I can borrow his disc and reformat my drive this weekend.

:sigh: Other than that I guess, I am SOL eh?

Whenever this has happened in the passed, it's never been this extreme, and defragmenting has always helped. :huh:

:( This is really ruining my day.

I hate to tell you this, but, even with XP, some extreme performance people expect to reformat and reinstall at least twice a year for optimal performance. I'm guessing you ran this installation for at least a year or two or longer? You're already ahead of the curve at this point!

Don't fret! It really isn't all that bad. I would suggest learning how to both build and maintain a computer from someone. Lifelong skills that are very satisfying. I would consider these skills a necessity for PC users.

Melon

Thx melon. I enjoy working with computers and figuring them out, so learning all this stuff really is fun for me. I just wish I had the discs. :huh: I hope my dad has them and is willing to lend them to me. He gets weird about computer stuff.
Anyway... hopefully this will work.

Now... when backing up C before reformatting... will I lose all programs? Or do I just need to back up files, like docs and jpgs etc... :| I know I sound totally stupid here, but it's all a learning process.

Last edited:
Angel said:
Now... when backing up C before reformatting... will I lose all programs? Or do I just need to back up files, like docs and jpgs etc... :| I know I sound totally stupid here, but it's all a learning process.

Just make sure that anything important is backed up, like Word documents or saved pictures or anything. Put it on a CD-R or dump it on your D: drive. Basically, whatever is on your C: drive, you'll lose. Just back up the files like the DOC and JPG files. You'll have to reinstall all the programs on there; they won't back up properly.

Melon

melon said:
You'll have to reinstall all the programs on there; they won't back up properly.

Melon
Totally embarrassed to say this but... I'll need all the discs for those right? I mean, Windows 98 is just Windows... it won't have the microsoft programs on it will it?

:reject:

I think you should move as much as you can (except programs) from the C drive to the D drive. And keep your memory on C. I had a 4 gig hard drive split (C,D) before my current computer and I was running out of space on C and the comp started running shitty. I dumped as much as I could to the D drive to get more memory. Try that first.

thing is... i don't have anything on C, other than the applications. My D drive is where all my docs, Jpegs and mp3s are. Even WinMX, Winamp etc... it's all on D. :crazy: That's why I have no clue what's filling up the C. :banghead:

Reformatting and reinstalling should work. I hope. :|

Back
Top Bottom