I am Bummed out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvolutionMonkey

Acrobat
Yesterday about 24 hours ago (about 1 am in the Vancouver area) I was tapping away on my computer and all of a sudden my apartment started moving. :ohmy: I crapped my pants after about 5 seconds and it was still going and I got up and put my shoes on. I got ready to go and then it stopped. I went to my balcony and looked around and i didn't see anyone else out there looking around or any lights turning on but i know what I felt and my heart was going crazy.

This is the second earthquake here in one week, the first one was 5.3 and this one was 6.1.

If this building goes down there is no chance of surviving, it's weird that something out of your control can control your thinking so much cause i don't even feel like living in this building anymore. If the first one was 5.3 and this one was harsher at 6.1 then that doesn't sound to good to me. Do you think it was just releasing more energy to avoid a big one ?

Vancouver's last really Big One (like 9.0 or higher) was in the 1700's and apparently we are due for a catastrophic one that will be even more worse than the ones in California.

Does anybody have knowledge of the quakes here in BC like the fault lines and when you think we are gonna get it ?

There was one in Seatle a couple years ago and I was awake when that happened and felt nothing (many others in Vancouver did) but this one i clearly felt. :(

Last edited:
Oregoropa, i'm sending you an email with all sorts of places to check out while your here. :) When are you going ?

Thanks Angela, i hope the Big One isn't anytime soon it would be the worst thing here in Vancouver, i think there are 2 major fault lines running in the area. I guess there's nothing you can do about something like this, if it happens it happens.
:shrug:

:eyebrow: Hey thereEv Monkey-Here:wave: California native here! Well, I AM EXPERIENCED, when it comes to earthquakes! Frist, don;t ever run out on your balconey again like that! Always, always, stay calm! If you go anywhere-go right to your 'threshold' Inside!! And if you had an earthquake earlier that week, more than likely that 'second one' was an aftershock! those can keep on happening until the earth settles! I have experienced both some 'real humdingers' or whatever you want to call them, like the Silmar..sp? earthquake, in I think it was 1971, where it was the rumbling kind, and made my bed more across the room! to ones that maybe my friends and I are talking and the place just starts shaking, we would look up, and say, 'earthquake'! and go right on talking! What can I say? I am just used to them! Oh, an dby the way, fault lines have nothing to do with border lines! Best advice I can give, being you are a newbie to these-is stay calm! panic kills!!

Thanks for that great advice forbonou2 :) I have never felt an earthquake before but i'm gonna start stocking up on some emergency stuff like flashlight, bottled water and chocolates. ;) If i'm goin down i'm goin down with chocolates in my belly. :happy:

Last edited:
EvolutionMonkey said:
i'm gonna start stocking up on some emergency stuff like flashlight, bottled water and chocolates. ;) If i'm goin down i'm goin down with chocolates in my belly. :happy:

Sounds like a good plan to me, especially the chocolates!!

A bit off the subject, but similar....when I first got one of my horses he has been mistreated and was very very thin. For the first year or so whenever he got frightened he would just start eating grass as fast as he possibly could! I figured he wanted to die with a full stomach! He's now a fat and happy 20 (he was three when I got him).

Indra if i can live as long as your horse (in human years of course)
then i'll be a happy guy. Seriously I always wanted a horse but I don't think he'd fit in my apartment. :lmao: Well actually the door is quite wide ...

Last edited:
Hi :wave: I was at work when the earthquake occurred but I didn't feel it :ohmy: but two of my co-workers did and we were discusssing whether or not it was an earthquake. As it turned out if was.:|

Earthquake kits are a great idea. You should have one at home, at work and in your car (if you have one). Essentials (besides water and chocolate) should include food that you can eat without having to cook it (don't forget utensils like a can opener), first aid kit (including any meds that you require on a daily basis), battery operated radio and extra clothes (depending on the season).

Forbonou2 said it well 'stay calm'. If you want some more advice send me a pm or email and I can get the info to you

:hug:

If you are concerned about earthquakes, make sure all heavy furniture is properly anchored. You don't want book cases or televisions flying about your room.

Back
Top Bottom