I actually like some of Eminem songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like alot of his songs and think he's very talented. As a female, it becomes a double-edged sword however, when he veers more into misogyny and violence towards women.

I used to not be able to stand him at all. I had a real problem with the issues he talked about in his songs - it wasn't even so much the issues raised, as the viciousness with which he put them across.

However, now that he's started writing some material with a bit more substance to it, i've started listening. Eminem seems to have toned down a little in the last year, and some of the material on his new album has proven to me that he isn't just some lean, mean, badmouthing machine. I'm never going to be a huge fan, but I appreciate what he says in things like 'Sing For The Moment' and 'Like Toy Soldiers'. He's clearly talented, and he has the capability to put his songwriting skills into very good use. Songs like 'Mosh', IMO, make Green Day's political attempts look amateur.

I like lots of Eminem's songs - Wheather you agree with what he says or not, he is extremely talented. He ryhmes words that do not ryhme at all and makes them flow effortlessly. He's great if you're in the mood for potty mouthed stories and I admit, sometimes I am in the mood for it.
For me, it's like, I can listen to U2 24/7, no matter the mood.
But I can only listen to Metallica or Marylin Manson when I am in a certain mood.
I can listen to Eminem when I am in a certain mood as well.

The only problem I have with Eminem is with the language he uses.

The language he uses in "Lose Yourself" or "Sing for the moment" or "Stan" is OK for me...

But sometimes he OVER-DOES it ...and then I dont like it.

Atleast the credit for me listening to some songs of rap sometimes... should go to Eminem !!!

Some of the songs has so much energy, passion and anger...I like it..

AcrobatMan

beau2ifulday said:
Songs like 'Mosh', IMO, make Green Day's political attempts look amateur.

That's because Green Day's political attempts ARE amateur. They suffer greatly from very poor song writing skills.

As for rap, I'm not a fan of the genre in general, but it just seems Eminem tends recycle a lot of his old over-done ideas.

Why do you say you "actually" like some of his stuff? Is it so unbelievable that he can produce listenable music?

I like his stuff, but you have to take a good bit of it tongue-in-cheek. I even enjoy his frivolous... as lame as it is to target someone as defenseless as Michael Jackson, the Pee Wee Herman sampling in "Just Lose It" is brilliant. I think his best song is "White America," however. It's very honest about the novelty of being a white rapper and suburban white attitudes.

I like Eminem quite a bit. I'd never pay to see him in concert or necessarily buy all his albums, but aside from Just Lose It, I've really liked all his singles. But my top favourites have to be Lose Yourself and Mosh. :up:

HelloAngel said:
I like alot of his songs and think he's very talented. As a female, it becomes a double-edged sword however, when he veers more into misogyny and violence towards women.

Agreed ... when he initially came on the music scene I was not a fan of Eminem because of some of his lyrics woman and gay bashing lyrics. I think that as he has matured as an artist, he has moved away from that with some of his recent stuff.

Em can be found on my iTunes ...

I love his serious songs, he's a very talented lyricist.... Lose Yourself, Toy Soldiers, Sing for the Moment... all great songs

his "playful/joke" songs, while also very well written, just bug me

I like him and his music. It doesn't bother me what he sings about. If I wanted to listen to debates about social issues, I'd pick up a sociology text book. Not look to music for intelligent dialogue.

I like

* Lose Yourself,
* Without Me, and
* Cleaning Out My Closet.

I watched the movie of his but I didn't really like it. The point of the game seemed to be to slander each other whilst rhyming. Why can't they just be nice? lol

my opinion is the same as my opinion on pretty much all other rap music. i don't give a fuck what he sings about, i find it funny that he gets panned left and right for lyrics when everyone else in the mainstream rap industry gets off scott-free. i hate it because i don't really see any redeeming musical qualities in rap/hip-hop, especially mainstream (i can't really speak for underground stuff because i'll readily admit i'm not very familiar with it...but i'm also not really interested in becoming familiar with it) stuff. don't give me the "it's got good beats" arguement, because they're all recycled or ripped from older songs. my sister is a huge fan of mainstream rap, and whenever i'm home i hear the stuff. it's impossible to avoid, it's always being played at unpleasantly loud volume with the bass cranked uneccesarily. once i counted three "different" songs with the same backing track. and people say all punk rock sounds the same :rolleyes: i also can't take someone yelling "YO! BITCH! roll out wit da bling bling!!!!!" at me...yet i can listen to hardcore for hours without feeling aurally assaulted...

plus i'm sick and tired of seeing rich pre-yuppie suburban white kids blasting it from the sports cars mommy and daddy bought them for their 16 birthday, just so they can feel tough and "gangsta". pull up your pants, straighten your hat, and say something other than "yo", "bling" and "ho".

HelloAngel said:

Same for me. Stan and Lose Yourself are particularly good. I also sorta like Tupac's Ghetto Gospel but again, he also is/was :shifty: a very controversial figure. But if I like Oasis then why should that be an issue? Noel Gallagher once said, "Rock'n'Roll is about music. Music. Music. Music. It's not about you, it's not about me, it's not about Oasis. It's about the songs". And he's right, that's what ALL music should be about. But it's not always easy to separate the two, the personal life and the songs, you know? And in any case, the vast majority of Oasis songs aren't actually about the controversial lives they lead, but a lot of Eminem's and Tupac's songs are. Therefore it's easier to ignore the controversial Oasis stuff as they aren't, in general, writing about it but with the rappers they don't necessarily give you that option.

Angela Harlem said:
I like him and his music. It doesn't bother me what he sings about. If I wanted to listen to debates about social issues, I'd pick up a sociology text book. Not look to music for intelligent dialogue.

:lol: I guess I really ought to bear that in mind. I think I just think about things too much.

Back
Top Bottom