"Hurt" Video finally gets it's due

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
it's about damn time...

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Late country music icon Johnny Cash (news) won a Grammy Award on Sunday for a heartbreaking video clip that served as a nostalgic farewell to his fans.

His wife, June Carter Cash (news), who died just a few months before he did last year, also won a Grammy, in the traditional folk album category. Both awards were accepted on their behalf by their only son, John Carter Cash.

Cash's clip for "Hurt," filmed at his home north of Nashville less than a year before he died last September, won the Grammy for best short form video, the first prize announced during the non-televised portion of the ceremony.

A funereal tune about depression written in 1994 by Trent Reznor (news) of hard rock band Nine Inch Nails, "Hurt" was covered by Cash on his last album, "The Man Comes Around," which has sold more than one million copies in the United States.

"My father, he can take any song and make it his own," John Carter Cash said. "To take a song of such gut-wrenching potential and strength and fear and not lose his dignity is amazing."

June Carter Cash died in May, before the release of her third solo album, "Wildwood Flower." Her son said she was able to hear the recording and review the artwork for the album, which he described as "a real labor of love."

His mother's cover of the Carter Family's "Keep on the Sunny Side" was nominated for female country vocal performance. The Cashes were also nominated for their duet on "Temptation," a contender for the country collaboration with vocals category.

Johnny Cash already had 11 Grammys (news - web sites), including two he shared with June Carter Cash. She won a Grammy in her own name for her 1999 solo album, "Press On."

Filmed by director Mark Romanek in October 2002, the clip shows the frail, white-haired "Man in Black" sitting at a table at his Hendersonville, Tenn. home while June worriedly looks at him from a nearby staircase. Some scenes were shot at Cash's nearby flood-damaged museum, complete with broken artifacts such as a shattered gold record.

The video includes old footage from Cash's hellraising glory days, including a jailhouse performance at San Quentin in the late 1960s.

Despite airing only once on MTV before his death, the clip picked up six nominations at the music cable channel's annual Video Music Awards last year.

In a major snub, it won just one prize, for cinematography, and Cash died 15 days later, on Sept. 12.

I think those of us who have seen the video already knew what a powerful video it is whether it won anything or not, but I'm glad to see it recognized critically.

heartlandgirl, this ties in with the placebo/JC story.I'll tell it here later

I remember the big impression I got when I first heard/saw this song. It still moves me
:applaud:

While I know that Johnny deserved this one, I'm not all about the awarding of "sympathy Grammys" to dead folks. I mean, I have the utmost respect for Warren Zevon and June Carter Cash, and granted the songs that they won for were excellent, but admittedly their songs were NOT the best in their respective categories. I feel that these Grammys were given out simply because people would feel bad if they didn't get them. The fact that somebody just happened to pass away this year and that they released music should not automatically discount anyone else from winning. This is unfair to the other artists who are nominated.

Not to disrespect Warren Zevon or June Carter Cash, I know that they are fantastic musicians and deserved all the accolades they received, but these two Grammy awards were, IMO at least, awarded simply due to the fact that they died this past year.

I'm a big Johnny Cash Fan.. and this is my fav video.. just completly powerful and brilliant.. glad it was recongnized either way

The video and the song are both hauntingly good. I get goosebumps everytime I hear that song

Back
Top Bottom