Humptulips, WA Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VintagePunk said:

Actually, this is the first season I'm watching it in real time, I caught up with the entire series last summer.

Every Thurs. night after it's over, I go Lost surfing to read theories and see if there's anything I missed in the episode. Then I go into mourning the rest of the week till the next Thurs.

I've been watching it week to week but I prefer to watch a whole season over a couple of days. That way you get all the references and it just seems to fit together better.

I still have no blummin idea what's going on though :huh:

Screwtape2 said:

Are you like that when you are in the studio with your bands?

In Soma Holiday, I chose the order.
In Euphoriette, I chose the order.
In Hollis Brown, I let go of that, because Paul is a better playlist crafter than I am. He, however, respects my opinions.

the tourist said:

I work when it's on, so I tape it and then watch it with my girlfriend. I caught up with the series midway through season 2. I love all the middle-of-the-road high-quality-low-fame actors we're getting lately.

we're a little bit behind you guys I think. My fave is the captain, he used to be on a crappy country cop show here but he's excellent in Lost :yes:

Axver said:

No idea when the next one will be. I'd like to perhaps wait a month or two between editions. But it seems people are eager for a fifth edition.

This one will end this month. I say sign-ups mid-June. Upload by mid-July. Tourney begins first of August.

Axver said:

I don't even know why we started listing it, since it's not a true snippet. But it's such a recognisable and well-loved verse that I've chosen to keep it on the site.

And you aren't imagining things! That is, if you went to 11 October 2005, New York. It was done at two Vertigo shows - that one, and 30 November 2006 in Saitama.

No, I agree that you should list it! It's done so rarely now that when it is done, it's certainly notable.

No, I didn't go to those shows. I must be remembering from the setlist thread or the boot. Thanks! I knew your encyclopaedic memory would have the answer. :)

the tourist said:

This one will end this month. I say sign-ups mid-June. Upload by mid-July. Tourney begins first of August.

Yeah, that would probably be quite good.

I hope to surprise people with my playlist. It's, well, not depressing.

cinnaminson said:

we're a little bit behind you guys I think. My fave is the captain, he used to be on a crappy country cop show here but he's excellent in Lost :yes:

I like Jeremy Davies (the scientist) and the dude who shoots the clay-pidgeons in the Meet Kevin Johnson episode (he was also in Wild Hogs, the movie).

Screwtape2 said:

When are you getting into the studio for Hollis Brown?

Sadly, I joined after all the recording was done. They kicked out the last guitarist. He wanted out anyway. So our album isn't even out yet, but I didn't play a single note on it. It'll probably be a year before we record again.

Axver said:

Yeah, that would probably be quite good.

I hope to surprise people with my playlist. It's, well, not depressing.

Mine's gonna have probably 4 sections with distinct feelings. 4 instead of 3/6 this time.

VintagePunk said:

No, I agree that you should list it! It's done so rarely now that when it is done, it's certainly notable.

No, I didn't go to those shows. I must be remembering from the setlist thread or the boot. Thanks! I knew your encyclopaedic memory would have the answer. :)

I am a little concerned by the inconsistency, in that we list Shine Like Stars but not One's "do you hear us coming?" I think Shine Like Stars is more well-known, though. I would have probably added "do you hear us coming?" if I'd thought to do so before snippet-checking the whole ZooTV Tour. Now, it feels like a shitload of work to go back and do that.

Heh, that's a shame. I'd love to hear it live; WOWY's really missing something without it. Did you go to any of the Elevation Tour shows in Canada, perhaps? It was done at a couple of those ...

the tourist said:

Sadly, I joined after all the recording was done. They kicked out the last guitarist. He wanted out anyway. So our album isn't even out yet, but I didn't play a single note on it. It'll probably be a year before we record again.

That sucks. Maybe you can improvise and rework the guitar work to more your liking in a live setting?

the tourist said:

Can you convince them to choose a new band name?

cinnaminson said:

:yes: although it bothers the hell out of me when I can't pick where I know them from

Agreed. I usually look them up on imdb shortly thereafter. :wink:

Screwtape2 said:

That sucks. Maybe you can improvise and rework the guitar work to more your liking in a live setting?

Well, I believe we're only going to be playing 4 songs from the 9 on the record live--we've written 7 new songs since I joined. :wink:

cinnaminson said:

I've been watching it week to week but I prefer to watch a whole season over a couple of days. That way you get all the references and it just seems to fit together better.

I still have no blummin idea what's going on though :huh:

Yeah, we burned through the three seasons in remarkably fast time. It's one of those shows where you sit down, intending to watch and episode or two, then the next think you know, you've watched eight episodes, it's 4 am, and then you say to yourself "just one more..."

With it being so good this season, it's kind of torturous to have to wait a week between episodes.

the tourist said:

Mine's gonna have probably 4 sections with distinct feelings. 4 instead of 3/6 this time.

Mine is one big list that floats between moods. I'm focusing on the most beautiful songs I know. I'm wondering whether or not to include songs that I think are depressingly or darkly beautiful. That's the only part of the tracklist causing issues. It's only 3 or so songs, so things would function quite nicely without it.

My first disc right now is a tour de force, but there's no way I can come up with a second disc since I've pretty much used all my good artists on this one disc.

Axver said:

Can you convince them to choose a new band name?

Screwtape2 said:

I used to not like the name, til I found out about the song it was taken from. It's the name of a character out of a Bob Dylan song who's a struggling farmer who lives in the middle of nowhere, and he can't make ends meet, and his whole family is going to starve to death and they have nothing left. So he kills his family and himself. It's about the darkness of humanity, and how far we will go if pushed to desperation.

Axver said:

Mine is one big list that floats between moods. I'm focusing on the most beautiful songs I know. I'm wondering whether or not to include songs that I think are depressingly or darkly beautiful. That's the only part of the tracklist causing issues. It's only 3 or so songs, so things would function quite nicely without it.

I stay away from the giant lists--that's a bit too hard for me, since I like lots of music that is very widely genre'd.

Screwtape2 said:

Yeah.... I'm disappointed with the record, though, because the old guitar player was a bit sloppy. And I don't have the money to re-record his parts.

the tourist said:

I used to not like the name, til I found out about the song it was taken from. It's the name of a character out of a Bob Dylan song who's a struggling farmer who lives in the middle of nowhere, and he can't make ends meet, and his whole family is going to starve to death and they have nothing left. So he kills his family and himself. It's about the darkness of humanity, and how far we will go if pushed to desperation.

But most people aren't going to realise that. And personal names don't make for good band names.

Oh, and Bob Dylan sucks. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:
My first disc right now is a tour de force, but there's no way I can come up with a second disc since I've pretty much used all my good artists on this one disc.

Discover more good artists. :up:

the tourist said:

I hope the crowds know that because it sounds like a funk bassist. :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom